IPV2S unstable resistance problem - something to do with spring loaded connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
I have had a problem with the resistance jumping about on my two week old IPV2S. It started maybe two days ago. Resistance was jumping about wildly causing burnt hits, one melted coil etc. I've already contacted the vendor who advised me to send it back for them to check it over. However in the meantime I continued using it a little and was trying to get a video of the problem I could use in the event of a dispute...

Anyway, as luck would have it, it seems to have corrected itself, at least for the last couple of hours. Resistance now appears to be reading stable and it's working fine. The only thing I noticed that was different is prior to the problem "fixing" itself, there was a slight creaking noise coming from the spring loaded connector as I tightened down an atty. This noise now seems to have gone and it's reading the resistance fine. I am therefore wondering if these two things are connected.

MY main question is, has anyone had a problem like this on the IPV2S, and if so is there a reliable way you've found to fix it? Also has anyone opened one up to have a look at how the connector is joined up? Are wires soldered directly to the centre pin (I'm wondering if it's a bad solder joint here) or is there some more elaborate way it's connected up? I am wary of opening it up myself, at least while it's so new.

Help or advice appreciated.

Thanks

Augmented Dog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I had the same as Lundude. It was the 510 pin on the Orchid v4 not making a true connection. tightened the pin and it's good as new. I think most problems are with either the 510 pins on attys or the screws on rda posts coming a little loose and not securely holding the wire down snug.

I also ran into that problem and you're right, adjusting the contact screw on the atty fixed it. Haven't had any fluctuations or problems since.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Certainly worth checking the atty connections always. However in my case it was doing the same on at least six different atty's I tried on it. I did think it was to do with my building originally but I rebuilt one atty making double sure everything was tight and same result. I also cleaned the connectors (atty's and IPV) using contact cleaner with no improvement.

However whatever caused the problem appears to have been fixed, for the moment at least. Been using it for a good few hours now and the most the measured resistance has changed on anything has been 0.1 ohm, which is fine compared to swings from 1.2 up to 3.9 ohms which is the kind of thing happening over the last couple of days. I'd really like to know what on the device could cause this problem so I can fix it if it happens in future :)

rustafar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Weeki Wachee, FL.
Certainly worth checking the atty connections always. However in my case it was doing the same on at least six different atty's I tried on it. I did think it was to do with my building originally but I rebuilt one atty making double sure everything was tight and same result. I also cleaned the connectors (atty's and IPV) using contact cleaner with no improvement.

However whatever caused the problem appears to have been fixed, for the moment at least. Been using it for a good few hours now and the most the measured resistance has changed on anything has been 0.1 ohm, which is fine compared to swings from 1.2 up to 3.9 ohms which is the kind of thing happening over the last couple of days. I'd really like to know what on the device could cause this problem so I can fix it if it happens in future :)

Strange. I've also noticed that when I unplug from the USB charge and look at the screen it still shows it's changing, as soon as I hit the fire button it switches to battery level. Strange again Lol.

KiLLeRr KeN

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Cheyenne, WY
@ KiLLeRr KeN

I think the IPV2s has hundredth on the ohm reader and the IPV2 upgrade only does tenths. ( two different models)
.74 vs .7 just like ion the MVP

I'm pretty sure that my ipv2s only said .7 but I can check again when I return back to my room. I also have not upgraded it to the 70w either

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Strange. I've also noticed that when I unplug from the USB charge and look at the screen it still shows it's changing, as soon as I hit the fire button it switches to battery level. Strange again Lol.

I haven't noticed that, I'll check it out. I normally leave it to charge till it's full :)

I'm pretty sure that my ipv2s only said .7 but I can check again when I return back to my room. I also have not upgraded it to the 70w either

Yes that's right, the IPV2S only has one decimal point reading on the resistance too.

YYlLFj7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread