Is a "dry hit" actually dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaHealer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Gone AWOL
So, I was experimenting with my e1 tonight and found something I found intriguing. For me, the e1 is plagued by what I would usually consider "dry hits"- harsh, scratchy, etc. I thought maybe it had to do with the seal around the cup or the fact that I found some sort of silicon plugging part of the gaps in the metal post below the wicks. I cleaned, dry burned, had nice red coils and to test my theory I took a hit while this thing was bone dry...not a drop of eliquid or even water. I expected harsh, burnt silicon flavor, but instead....nothing. Slightly warm air, but no real flavor or harsh was at all. Tried this with a Vivi; same thing. Completely dry with a red hot coil I get no harshness whatsoever. So, my question, in theory, unless this has been answered before and I haven't seen it, is if a completely dry coil and wick don't give the harsh, scratchy hits we typically describe as "dry" then what could it be that does suddenly cause this once we add juice to the mix?

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
As far as I can tell, when the wick starts to dry out (hence the term dry hit), the coil overheats and burns what little juice is in the wick.

Yep, this exactly. Try putting just a single drop of pg or vg on the coil, and then take a puff or two. Gods awful "dry" hits after a couple. Though the OP is right, it's more of a burnt hit than an actual dry hit.

ThaHealer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Gone AWOL
I agree with that as a general statement, however I think the saturation of the wicks is only part of the problem. I've gotten burnt hits from wicks that were thoroughly wet when inspected. There is also a continuum ranging from slightly burnt flavor to harsh, painful hits. For me, the Phoenix bc produces a burnt flavor at higher voltages as opposed to the e1 which produces harsh, silicon tasting hits at higher voltages. The wicks in the e1 were clearly wet with juice. In my opinion this shows not only issues with the saturation of the wicks, but how well those wicks are delivering juice to the coil, if there are hot spots in the coil, etc

Ctor

static void Main()
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2012
New Jersey
There are several issues. First, the only part of the wick that really matters is the part that comes in contact with the coil. The visible part of the wick may be saturated, but several factors can contribute to the wick at the coil not being saturated. Too much wick, too tightly wrapped coils, and sometimes the silicon caps on some models can choke off proper saturation of the wick at the coil. Also, at higher wattages, the wicking action with some juices can't keep up with the rate at which the juice is vaporized. I'm sure there are other factors too.

Also, if the loops, or one loop of the coil is too loose, it may not be in contact with the wick and overheat. The legs of the coil (the parts that run to the electrical contacts) can also cause burning taste.

Or, just plain too high a wattage can cause this, as some juices, or components of juices, seem to scorch at lower temps than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread