Is it "Legal" to sell actual Syringes with needle points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
So I went to my local vape shop to pick-up another 18650 battery. While I was there I decided to look around as it was the first time I've stepped foot in local stores around where I live just because their products are so over-priced and juices around here are made/shipped from China, not made to order.

But anyway, so I saw a basket with "Syringes" in them, 3ml and 5ml tubes. I was in the need for another and grabbed a 3ml. Got home opened the package and took the syringe out. Needless to say it had a very visible sharpened tip as the needle.. At first I doubted it and tested it with my finger :p and holy crap it was a straight up 100% needle tip syringe doctors use!!

My wife being a nurse asked to see the package it came in. Sure enough, right on the package I took it out of it was a medical syringe needle, that clearly stated "1 time use only, sterilized needle".

Neither of us really knowing the legalities if whether or not it's legal to sell real needle syringes openly like that or not, but I swear I thought that was illegal.

I didn't want to throw away my $2 so I took my wire cutters and snipped the tip off and flattened the needle myself. Works awesome now, but that whole ordeal blew my mind.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Yes it is legal as far as their are no national laws against it and I don't know of any local laws. I can say with certainty it is legal here in GA because I've bought them since I began vaping in 2 pharmacies and Tractor Supply Co. The pharmacies keep them behind the counter and the pharmacists asked why I needed them but I think that was so they could sell the right ones to me. TSC it is in the animal care area in the open.

GordyK

Jul 1, 2013
Grand Haven, MI
Syringes are safe to sell but sharp instead of blunt needles are dangerous to sell openly

I suppose it makes sense if they are legal as I remember years ago hospitals giving them away to addicts in the prevention of diseases or at least help reduce this risk, but I didn't think any o'l store could just sell them like that.

L183

Jun 29, 2013
Fairborn, Ohio
I believe it was ilegal up till about a year or 2 ago.

Interesting... what changed?

I swear I've been living under the impression that sharp needles (or even blunt syringes) were impossible to get anywhere, outside of an insulin/et al prescription. Perhaps I didn't need to make that order online after all...

When I was younger, I went to the corner drug store and was unable to obtain a glass/plastic dropper, because, according to the pharmacist, drug addicts break them and use them to shoot up. What in the what...?!? I just wanted to nourish an abandoned kitten runt... and I'm not even remotely joking. :confused:

Last edited:

mommafish

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2012
okc
In ok anyone can go to wally world and pick up a box of insulin needle s u know the kind u find in dark alleys on tv shows. how I found this out was im new to insulin and my dc called in my rx but forgot the syringes but the pharmacists said all I needed to do was get a box. And next time have the dc call in a rx so insurance will pay for them so $18 later I had 200 needled syringes go figure

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
This is the first I've ever heard of syringes being illegal. I can understand why a locale would *think* it makes sense, but I think it's short-sighted. Lack of a delivery device won't really stop the determined, you know?

From what I can tell, most state laws are worded so that possession of them for the intent of doing... bad things with them is illegal. In many states where the sale is illegal without a perscription, possession is ok (so if you buy them online, it's ok).

In CA, for example, it's illegal to have a syringe without a perscription for... bad things. If you're doing good things, it doesn't matter how you got it. So, for our uses, it's perfectly legal.

I think the bottom line, regardless of state, is that as long as you're not actually doing/possessing "bad things", having one to dispense e-liquid alone isn't going to get anyone in trouble. Without possession or evidence of anything else, I can't imagine the penalty for simply having the syringe is very steep, either.

It's still a silly law, IMO, like trying to cut down on painting by outlawing paintbrushes instead of the actual paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread