Is it WATER vapor or GLYCERIN vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
I see every body saying its just water vapor, but there really isn't any water in the juice. Well, I add a little water to my VG to thin it down because I don't like PG, but most people use a PG/VG mix. But for most people there isn't any water vapor, it would be glycerin/glycol vapor. Know what I mean? Is it just easier to tell people its water vapor? i.e. when some one asks you what it is you just say water vapor with nicotine. I see my .... local news station do specials on e-cigs some times and they are constantly calling it "water vapor" with nicotine.. and talking about the dangerous unknown side effects and how they blow up in your face! Really annoys me... idk why. :glare:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
Water is the base of all liquid (except for mercury)

I'm no chemist, but I don't think this is true -- ethanol contains no water, nor does hydrochloric acid, motor oil, gasoline, bleach, and a very long etcetera. And they're all liquids at room temperature.

So the original question stands: what does vaporized PG or VG consist of?

My guess would be PG and VG.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Water is most definitely not the base of all liquids other than mercury.

Now that's out of the way,

I too am very curious about this, and I have not yet seen it answered.

It would seem odd for PG or VG to magically transform into water when being vaporized, seeing as the whole idea of vaporization is to avoid chemical changes to the material (like burning would do)

What I BELIEVE is meant by the exhaled vapor being just water vapor, is that the majority of the PG/VG/Nic/flavorings are deposited in the lungs, and what is exhaled is mostly just water.

As for where that water comes from, I believe it comes from the air, and from your body. Everybody says vaping dries you out, which means it's removing water from your body (lungs, throat, and mouth) Vapor production goes way up in the cold, compared to anemic vapor production in hot dry rooms or climates.

So, my best guess is that you are exhaling water vapor mostly, but that water is simply coming from your body and the air around you, not really from the liquid itself.

Hopefully someone who knows more about chemistry can chime in, I'm in school for mechanical engineering, not chemistry ;)

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
Water is most definitely not the base of all liquids other than mercury.

Now that's out of the way,

I too am very curious about this, and I have not yet seen it answered.

It would seem odd for PG or VG to magically transform into water when being vaporized, seeing as the whole idea of vaporization is to avoid chemical changes to the material (like burning would do)

What I BELIEVE is meant by the exhaled vapor being just water vapor, is that the majority of the PG/VG/Nic/flavorings are deposited in the lungs, and what is exhaled is mostly just water.

As for where that water comes from, I believe it comes from the air, and from your body. Everybody says vaping dries you out, which means it's removing water from your body (lungs, throat, and mouth) Vapor production goes way up in the cold, compared to anemic vapor production in hot dry rooms or climates.

So, my best guess is that you are exhaling water vapor mostly, but that water is simply coming from your body and the air around you, not really from the liquid itself.

Hopefully someone who knows more about chemistry can chime in, I'm in school for mechanical engineering, not chemistry ;)

Surely your lungs aren't absorbing all of the PG and VG, nicotine, and flavorings. It has to be glycerin vapor. Fog machines use glycerin I'm pretty sure. I'm putting my money on the fact that it is glycerin vapor and not water vapor since there is no water being vaporized. There is probably a small amount of moisture that ends up in your tank, but not nearly enough to make a difference.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I believe the vapor to be VG or PG vapor. It lingers in the room if you chain vape, yet not matter how long I keep a humidifier running at full blast, the water vapor will never linger. When you vape in the car with the windows rolled down, you'll notice it lingers in your face for quite some time, and if you chain vape in your car with the windows rolled down over the course of a a few months, you'll notice a slight tint to your windshield from the VG (I assume) buildup. Whatever is in the vapor, it is definitely not exclusively water.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
:lol: this is my #1 vaping pet peeve!

We are constantly breathing out 'water vapor' (blow on a cold window); so why is it that only when we vape can we see it?!??!!
BECAUSE VAPING VAPOR IS NOT "JUST WATER VAPOR"!

PG and VG are humectants - they absorb water, so there will be some water in the exhaled vapor that is absorbed from your body. But the majority of the visible vapor will be the PG/VG.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
People say water vapor because they dont want to get drawn into a long drawn out explanation of what it actually is. This probably started about the same time the FDA released its report that claims they found trace amounts of anti-freeze in Chinese made juices.

Propylene Glycol sounds a lot like Diethylene Glycol to people who arent chemists so the water vapor thing is an over-simplification.

I find it works well in certain circumstances.If someone causally asks about it I'll say its just water vapor and they shrug and walk away.If they act genuinely interested and want to know more THEN I'll get into the more technical aspects of it for them.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I believe the vapor to be VG or PG vapor. It lingers in the room if you chain vape, yet not matter how long I keep a humidifier running at full blast, the water vapor will never linger. When you vape in the car with the windows rolled down, you'll notice it lingers in your face for quite some time, and if you chain vape in your car with the windows rolled down over the course of a a few months, you'll notice a slight tint to your windshield from the VG (I assume) buildup. Whatever is in the vapor, it is definitely not exclusively water.

During the freezing months over the winter I vaped in the car with the windows closed and had to clean the smear off the windows every couple days. Even with the windows open an inch or two, there is a greasy film deposited on the inside of the windshield and I still have to clean every few days. At least it's not the ugly yellow smear like when I was chain smoking cigarettes lol.
I vape mostly 100% VG.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
It may be "easier" to say water vapor...but it's not correct. Easiest and more correct to say it's just "vapor". What i actually say, if anyone asks me, and they usually don't...is "it's just like a mini fog machine" . Easy to say, it's essentially accurate, and people get the idea without freaking out.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Over the past two years of vaping I've seen numerous posts here and claims made on vendor business cards that what is exhaled with an e-cig is mainly water vapor. Some claims have stated that it is "nearly 100% water vapor". I've seen the research on the minor constituents of vapor; but what are the MAJOR components of the the exhaled visible vapor? It has got to be the PG/VG, if it was just water why do fog machines use PG/VG? Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to fill the fog machine up at the tap instead of buying 'fog juice'?

Here are the components of exhaled vapor (1,2,3-propanetriol is VG). The more area under a peak means that there is more of that component in the sample. This is a GC (gas chromatograph) analysis, so any water probably didn't show up. PG/VG ARE the main components of this exhaled e-cig vapor. Report

ina792_f3_zps3778f381.gif

Does anyone have any additional analytical reports of exhaled vapor?

Sorry, but this has become my main 'vaping pet peeve' since I've started using the Kanger BCCs with my 1.5yr all-day-vape juice :D

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...5415-what-major-components-exhaled-vapor.html

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
People say water vapor because they dont want to get drawn into a long drawn out explanation of what it actually is. This probably started about the same time the FDA released its report that claims they found trace amounts of anti-freeze in Chinese made juices.

Propylene Glycol sounds a lot like Diethylene Glycol to people who arent chemists so the water vapor thing is an over-simplification.

I find it works well in certain circumstances.If someone causally asks about it I'll say its just water vapor and they shrug and walk away.If they act genuinely interested and want to know more THEN I'll get into the more technical aspects of it for them.

Ya that's some of what I was thinking. Experienced vapers telling non vapers that its just water vapor is easier than telling people that it is glycerin vapor. And also the ignorant news stating its water vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread