Is my new E-liquid genuine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaela98

Mar 27, 2018
my dad recently purchased my favourite E-juice from a shop I haven't been to before, I wasn't there and I don't know what shop it was. I got it today and I opened the box slightly sceptical because I was unsure as to whether it was going to be the real deal or not.

Upon opening the box straight away I could see that the bottle caps were different and the bottle shape, even tho it claimed to be the same brand and flavour (Ruthless EZ Duz It on ice) also he bought a lower nicotine dosage, so these are only 3mg when usually id buy 6mg. The liquid from each the 6mg and the 3mg bottles are different colours and I am scared to try the new ones in case they are in fact fake. I want to know what I'm putting into my body. the 3mg liquid was definitely much lighter, close to clear in fact.

the smell differed between the 2 aswell. I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or whether they differ depending on nicotine dosage but id rather try to be safe and ask people who have probably been vaping for much longer than I have.

What is your opinion? would you vape it anyway?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I used to work in a vape shop that sold a wide variety of e-liquid brands. I can assure you that a higher nic juice of the same flavor and manufacturer is often a darker color.

Origin-Vape-Mr-Salt-E-Liquids-Salt-Based-Nic-Juice-01.jpg

(Above) Same manufacturer and same flavor; as you move from left to right the nic concentration is greater and the color intensifies/darkens.

Manufacturers sometimes change bottling containers. Look up the manufacturer online, you might be able to determine from pictures if they have changed their bottles.

I haven't seen or heard of many counterfeit juices. A few of the extremely popular and hard-to-get flavors like Boba's Bounty and Pluid may have had some counterfeiting going on.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
my dad recently purchased my favourite E-juice from a shop I haven't been to before, I wasn't there and I don't know what shop it was. I got it today and I opened the box slightly sceptical because I was unsure as to whether it was going to be the real deal or not.

Upon opening the box straight away I could see that the bottle caps were different and the bottle shape, even tho it claimed to be the same brand and flavour (Ruthless EZ Duz It on ice) also he bought a lower nicotine dosage, so these are only 3mg when usually id buy 6mg. The liquid from each the 6mg and the 3mg bottles are different colours and I am scared to try the new ones in case they are in fact fake. I want to know what I'm putting into my body. the 3mg liquid was definitely much lighter, close to clear in fact.

the smell differed between the 2 aswell. I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or whether they differ depending on nicotine dosage but id rather try to be safe and ask people who have probably been vaping for much longer than I have.

Hi and welcome,
IMO, when in doubt...toss it out.

That said, if it was 120ml, I would have to test it and then decide.
If it is a 30ml...and I had other juice to vape...Gone.

Cheers
I

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi @Michaela98; and welcome to ECF! :D
I had a bunch of different thoughts as I read you post; so I am going to try and break it down as best I can.
my dad recently purchased my favourite E-juice from a shop I haven't been to before, I wasn't there and I don't know what shop it was.
A little detective work on your part should give you more feedback:
  • Ask your Dad.
  • If he doesn't remember; ask if he has a receipt with the shop name and/or address.
  • If he doesn't have a receipt; does he have a charge card record (online, through his bank?)
  • Can he give you a reasonable description of where the shop is located... what other businesses are near by?
  • Use Google Maps to refine your search and identify the shop.
  • With the shop name; search the web for shop reviews (Yelp, or Yelp-like sites can be helpful). Look for complaints of poor, inferior quality, inappropriate business practices, or trying to pass off knock-off/clone products (hardware, or e-liquid) as the real thing.
  • How long have they been in business? Disreputable shops don't last long... there are too many good ones for people to choose to do business with.
None of this gives any real sense of the legitimacy of your e-liquid; but it might give you more confidence in the source.
I could see that the bottle caps were different and the bottle shape, even tho it claimed to be the same brand and flavour (Ruthless EZ Duz It on ice)
As others have mentioned; it is not uncommon for a producer, to source and change suppliers, based on price and availability. If one provider can not meet demand, or another provider is less expensive, it is perfectly reasonable for the buyer to change. This could include bottles, caps, labels, printing... even ingredients.

This alone would not be cause for me to be concerned.
The liquid from each the 6mg and the 3mg bottles are different colours
the 3mg liquid was definitely much lighter, close to clear in fact.
I again agree with previous comments. This is not at all uncommon.

Multiple things (alone, or in combination) can influence color. Age/oxidation and amount of nicotine; storage conditions (heat, light and duration) of the e-liquid; container type; cap and seal effacacy; types, quantities, age, and handling of ingredients (esp. flavor concentrates). Shuffle up all these variables and it is rather surprising the same e-liquid ever looks the same. ;)

This too, is not a red flag to me.
the smell differed between the 2 aswell.
Aroma, like appearance, is not a very accurate indicator. Aroma is not a constant; other than it is constantly changing. It can grow/intensify, change, and fade. It, like appearance, is susceptible to heat, air exposure, time, handling, and storage. Add to that, Ruthless uses dropper-top caps, and differences can be expected.

I would only be alarmed if I opened a bottle, and expecting a watermelon aroma, I instead smelled coffee or licorice. Then, most likely, it was a labeling or bottling issue, vs. intentional deceit.
I am scared to try the new ones in case they are in fact fake. I want to know what I'm putting into my body.
I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or whether they differ depending on nicotine dosage but id rather try to be safe
This is the most personal question you can ask... and only one you can answer. How much risk is too much?

The black-and-white answer is: "If you want to be absolutely safe; don't vape." There is just not enough data to know what most(?) long-term, and even short(er)-term effects, might be.

Everything else just becomes various shades of grey. You have to decide what amount of risk you are willing, and not willing, to take.
Bottom line? Yes; I would probably try vaping it. Unless it smelled "bad" or "wrong," I would at least vape enough to see what it tastes like, and go from there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread