Issues with nicotine e-liquid - Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapourLifeSaver

Dec 22, 2018
Hello everyone, I'd truly appreciate some help/insight to an issue that Iv'e been having with certain e-liquids. I'm an ex-smoker living in Australia, and am semi-new to vaping (my last cigarette was 50 days ago).

When I began vaping, I started off on this Glazed Doughnut flavoured e-liquid (which is rather nice) from a local shop in my area, and has been my DV ever since.
20181222-164426

In Australia, we are unable to legally purchase nicotine, or nicotine e-liquids, so in order for me to have my nicotine, I would buy the Glazed Doughnut in 0MG from the local store, and then order the same flavour with 3MG of nicotine from their online store which is based in New Zealand, mix them both in an empty bottle and shake extremely well to effectively yield a 1.5MG nicotine e-liquid with no problems what so ever, as a 3MG juice is a little too harsh on my throat.

I ordered a couple of bottles of Little Dipper by The Milkman from their online store (again, 1 bottle with 3MG, and another with 0MG), combined them both into a big bottle, shook it well, and again had no problems. However, I really wanted to expand into some fruity flavours like watermelon and cherry, just to mix things up a little, but the issue with every fruit flavoured liquid that Iv'e tired this method with, it just doesn't want to mix. The liquid just ends up still being way too harsh for me. I shake and shake and shake, but still, it just doesn't dilute the harshness of a 3MG e-liquid.

Can anyone provide any insight to why this is happening? any speculation or even better, solutions to this issue would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it's not a one shot flavor it may need to be steeped not just shaken. You also may need to let it breathe.

I guess it could be a nicotine sensitivity but I find that SORT OF doubtful. You could try um, nicotine salts (no throat hit or harshness).

I guess it could also be your PG ratio, if like, that has changed significantly (again I rather doubt that) IDK.

Good luck,

Anna

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
what is the pg/vg ratio of the juice(s)
higher pg tends to give more throat hit (harshness)
usually start out with 50/50
if you want less throat hit try 70vg/30pg or even higher vg

but yes some juice needs time to steep, sometimes even with the lid off, for a week (or more)
but me I am of the impatient type ;) so I shake my bottles like crazy but really there's no substitute for steeping

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
The liquid just ends up still being way too harsh for me. I shake and shake and shake, but still, it just doesn't dilute the harshness of a 3MG e-liquid.

Can anyone provide any insight to why this is happening? any speculation or even better, solutions to this issue would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Nicotine is only one component that can contribute to harshness. Vaping at only 1.5, to even 3%, I would be more than a little surprised if it is the primary culprit. Especially, given that you are an ex-smoker.

As already mentioned, higher PG levels can add to the harshness for many vapers. Seek e-liquids with higher VG levels to minimize the PG's contribution.

Ethyl alcohol/ethanol (aka. EA) is used as a flavor carrier in some flavor concentrates... including some fruits. Many vapers find EA can add harshness. To remove this influence; one can let the bottle sit open, for a couple of hours, to a couple of days (often referred to as "breathing" the e-liquid). Or, simply put the bottle away for a couple of weeks.

(NOTE: there can be unwanted loss of some flavors... especially some fruits, if a liquid is excessively breathed. How much EA, as well as bottle size, will influence exposure time. A bit of test vaping, at intervals, can be helpful to know when the EA has evaporated.)

Hardware setup can also influence harshness. Depending on the atomizer, coil resistance, and airflow; both the flavor of any given e-liquid, as well as perceived harshness, can be manipulated. If your hardware permits adjustments: try raising/lowering your power (or temperature) setting, and opening up/closing off the airflow. It is not at all uncommon for one, or both of these, to have substantial effect on harshness, as well as flavor.

It is a common misunderstanding, that the hardware setup that is "good" for one e-liquid, is good for all e-liquids. Sadly, this is not the case. When I change flavor profiles (bakery for fruit, tobacco for custard, etc.), I have to readjust both power/temp and airflow, to get the most enjoyable experience. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread