Is my phoenix killing my batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
If you had a 5 volt battery rather than a 3.7 volt...the 5 volt would be more "efficient". However, if you take an e-cig that has a single 3.7 volt battery and make it VV WITH A BOOSTER you have to account for losses due to having to boost the voltage.

So...when this vv stuff started to be mainstream, I posed a question to the "mind trust" in the modder's area about single-battery vv implementations like the twist. What would be more efficient at the same wattage, high volts or low volts? We never got a good theoretical answer due to implementation details for each device.

Reports seem to indicate that people using lower voltages, on a twist for example, seem to get longer life. So...bucking the voltage (reducing it) seems more efficient than boosting it even when accounting for the theoretical gains obtained using higher voltage. This is PROBABLY true for the kick as well. Now, for a stacked battery mod where you only buck the voltage, higher voltage is often more efficient. Particularly if using a linear regulator (that dissipates excess voltage as heat).

That's pretty much what I have come to realize- that batt life has just as much to do with the device you use, and how it functions, as it does with the theoretical power consumption based on output voltage and coil resistance. IRL I find, for instance, that a V1 Lavatube (L-Rider) lasts twice as long- on the exact same battery- as a VV Chrome Tube (YJ version). Technically, the mods both attempt to do the same thing- in my case, lowering the voltage to 3v (supposedly), but in the case of the Chrome Tube, the PWM-ed waveform is exaggerated more-so than on the Lavatube, leading me to believe it is causing the batts to drain quicker. When comparing other devices with different batt configurations, etc, the differences start to compound on each other even more.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
If you used a 2.0 ohm coil at 4.0 volts, you are correct. You'd be drawing 2.0 amps and 8 watts. However, suppose you used a 1.0 ohm coil. In order to achieve the same 8 watts, your voltage would be just a bit over 2.8 volts. But, your amp draw would be 2.8 amps. The battery duration, because of the increase in amp draw, would be much shorter.

Yes, in theory this is absolutely correct- but on most VV devices, as has been stated, the additional circuitry, and other factors related to it, have a significant effect on the actual power consumption. I still would agree that on a single device, if you were to compare batt life @ low resistance/low voltage to high resistance/high voltage at the same power level for both, the general theory you've outlined would still hold true- but I have never done so myself. Also, I am unsure if lowering the voltage down past the output voltage of the battery itself would work as outlined in the above situation.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I dunno if your phoenix is like mine and has a positive pin kinda sunk in or not, but I just did this and it solved my not being able to use it on my Itaste. Pull out the center pin, take a small piece of paper towel (or anything else, i had a paper towel handy) maybe a half inch by half inch, wad it up tight, stick the wad into the positive pin area and stick the pin back in, it wont go all the way in, and will just barely stick out like it should. Its also not getting super hot like it was before either.

Last edited:

Razloz

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I dunno if your phoenix is like mine and has a positive pin kinda sunk in or not, but I just did this and it solved my not being able to use it on my Itaste. Pull out the center pin, take a small piece of paper towel (or anything else, i had a paper towel handy) maybe a half inch by half inch, wad it up tight, stick the wad into the positive pin area and stick the pin back in, it wont go all the way in, and will just barely stick out like it should. Its also not getting super hot like it was before either.

I ended up getting some 510-510 adapters for mine because of that issue, got tired of pushing the center pin back down when changing devices. Didn't think to maybe plug it up a bit like that, good idea! ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread