first successful phoenix build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
i picked up a phoenix rba at vapercon from COV. i really wanted a zen but considering i had no expierence with rbas i figured getting a 10 dollar phoenix would be a good starter. and it is!

got about 4 or 5 pre wound silica wick/nichrome coils rated at 2.0ohms for a buck a piece. wen i got back home i finally gave it a shot. my first "installment" was good, but i noticed a small hot spot on one of the ends and it bugged me. not sure if it affected the vape, but regardless i wanted to try again and get a perfect one.

i noticed a bit of leaking at the base due to a small oring that wasnt wide enough. went to home depot about an hour ago and got a perfect sized oring for the base.
problem fixed.

now for my second rebuild i unwound just one wrap and placed it almost vertical in the chamber. but not fully vertical. i guess tilted you could say. left about a half inch of wick on eachside and frayed the ends out just a tad bit, then loosened the wick that was inside the coil a bit too. tucked away the rest of the showing wick and then soaked coil with 50/50 mix of rawrs banana cream pie. threw it on the provari and checked the ohms. reading 1.8, just wat i want to see.

i waited a moment, dropped a few more drops, then went to town...

DAMN I LOVE REBUILDABLES!!!!! haha foreal this is really rewarding. such a smooth and great vape, no hot spots either this time. im really quite impressed. im excited to try SS mesh and other types of wicks, if it can get better then this, im all in. the threads on the phoenix are crooked wich really bugs me, so as soon as i can get my hands on a quality made rba i will be stoked.

what are some suggestions for models that are quality products and also available at the current moment? is the ZAP well worth the money? is it THAT much greater in VTF compared to clones? ahh so much to learn. thanks guys just wanted to share my first experiences with everyone. peace

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
Congrats. I just picked up ome of those recently, the clone with the tapered top. I'm looking forward to wrapping a new coil for it tomorrow with a cotton wick but I have to locate a tiny screwdriver to fit those screws first.

As for the better rebuildables like the zap, I can't really comment but I did pick up the DID clone, made a clear tube from a 12ml syringe and got it working pretty good. SS mesh is a whole new ball game on the learning curve and it took me about three attemps to get the setup working decent and only then due to all the great tips on ecf and youtube. I'd love to have a zap or something but I think the cheap clone was a great way to get my feet wet with the mesh without breaking the bank.

I'd like to have one of the newer phoenix xl rba's from Eshots due to the larger size and build features but haven't found a distributor in the US yet.

cheers,
cho

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
the only reason i didnt get the did clone from COV at vapercon was because of the large size. i tend to keep my vaporizers and hardware as small as possible. (if its possible). if it cant fit decently well in my pocket then i usually wont bother with it. i got the Bam at vapercon and its SO frickin killer. but just a taaad too big.

being able to kick it with a 26500 imr battery will make up for that tho. ah what a joy. officially have 2 gorgeous mods. (black mini , bam)

do you know of any somewhat "stealthy" RBAs? i would DEF be interested in something like that. i really like the ZAP, but after holding someone elses provari with a zap on it i really noticed a big length difference, not sure if id be able to get used to that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread