Is my understanding correct regarding mAH batts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobFindlay

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2011
SLC, UT
I'm looking for some new batts for my e-power, it currently has smoktech 14650 1050mAH that came with it. My understanding is the mAH rating only relates to the total storage capacity of the battery.

So even though I have 1050's I should be fine with Trustfire 14650 1600 mAh correct?

Also the charger I have--it's the common one that comes with e-power units, should work just fine charging the higher capacity batts as well?

Thx much in advance guys.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
mAh is just total storage capacity, you are correct, though many vendor claims on mAh seem to be a bit iffy, based on actual capacity tests.

With standalone batteries, make sure the voltage of the battery matches what you use. In some battery sizes you will find both 3.0V and 3.6 or 3.7V versions -- make sure the V of the new battery matches the ones you are already using.

If the mod vendor says to only use protected batteries, or IMR (high drain non-protected), follow the vendor recommendation.

If in doubt, e-mail the vendor for a question on if a specific battery is okay to use with their mod.

RobFindlay

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2011
SLC, UT
mAh is just total storage capacity, you are correct, though many vendor claims on mAh seem to be a bit iffy, based on actual capacity tests.

With standalone batteries, make sure the voltage of the battery matches what you use. In some battery sizes you will find both 3.0V and 3.6 or 3.7V versions -- make sure the V of the new battery matches the ones you are already using.

If the mod vendor says to only use protected batteries, or IMR (high drain non-protected), follow the vendor recommendation.

If in doubt, e-mail the vendor for a question on if a specific battery is okay to use with their mod.

THANK YOU, sometimes I just need a reality check.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Ihave an Epower also and personally if you haven't ordered the trustfires battery already, I wouldn't. Many manufacturers exaggerate the mah for a battery, and some more than others. My buddy got one of those Trustfire 1600mah batteries and I used it for a day and the Trustfire battery actually died before the stock Smoktech 1050mah battery did. The 1600mah rating on the Trustfire batteries is very exaggerated. It's prob actually more like 1000mah.
From what I read, the absolutely max mah that a 14650 battery can even have is about 1100mah, doesn't matter who makes it, etc. that's just the max that a 14650 sized battery can have.
So basically any 14650 battery you see that has a mah rating higher than 1100 is BS. I've seen Trustfire 14650s with 1300mah and 1600mah, but their both really about 1000mah.
Personally I don't like Trustfire and Ultrafire batteries for PVs bc I don't think they work very well when used in a PV. The Trustfires seem to be better than the Ultrafires, but with both, anyone I've ever seen use them in a PV they didnt last long at all before needing to be rePlaced. Also be careful where you order them from bc there are a lot of fakes and they can screw up your PV. There are alot of fake Trustfire batteries on eBay.
Ive tried a few different batteries for my Epower and surprisingly the best one I'm found is the stock ones. They work well and last a long time. Ive been using my 2 original 14650 batteries that came with my kit for over 6 months and they still work like the first day I got them. And even though they only say 1050mah, they def last longer before needing a recharge than the 1300 and 1600 mah Trusfires. I had a Trustfire battery that only lasted about 6 weeks.
The only other battery that wasn't the stock ones that I found works well is a 14650 IMR "High-Drain" battery. I have one that I've been using for a few months and it works well. Very few vendors sell a 14650 high drain though bc it's not a common battery. I still use the stock. Arteries the most though and have a few of them. Hoosier sells them for under $6 so it's not a bad deal.
The only other battery I would be willing to try for my Epower would be an AW 14670 battery. Super T manufacturing sells them and AW batteries are known to be great batteries. I haven't tried one yet but am prob going to try one next time I need to replace a battery. The 14670 batteries are the same size as a 14650 battery so they will work in the Epower. It's not a High drain battery bc AW doesn't make a 14650 high drain, but it is protected and is 1100mah. They do cost almost twice as much as the stock batteries, but I would think they would work well.

As for the charger, it will charge the Trusfires and will charge High-Drain batteries too. If you ever decide you want a different charger or a back-up charger, check out the TrUstfire TR-001 charger. It works great and alot of people use it to charge their tube mod batteries. Many ecig vendors carry it for between $10-15 bucks. I was about to buy a backup Epower charger from Hoosier last time I was ordering some other stuff but then decided against it. Hoosier sells the Epower charger for $5.99 and I found the TR-001 charger on eBay for only $8.40. So for only a few bucks more it's def worh it. It does come from China so it takes a few weeks, but for only $8.40 it's def worth it. The TR-001 charger charges the 14650 batteries alot faster than the Epower charger and it also allows you to charge 2 batteries at once which is nice since the Epower charger only allows you to charge one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread