Is my vaping making my dog ill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I'm an old gal and can tell you one thing for sure. Vets have changed. Example: My little chihuahua appeared to have ear mites after a journey into the wilds. I remembered from years ago treating a cat that there was a home remedy. Googled for it and came upon horror story after horror story of very high vet bills, putting the pet through all kinds of very expensive tests, etc and ongoing monthly expenses to the owner with nothing working and the cause undetermined. I was in shock! Then I found what I was after... the home remedy and skipped the vet. Half vinegar, half distilled water, cured the situation in under a week with vast improvement after the first treatment... no ear scratching. Later my step-son feel prey to the expensive, ongoing treatment/no diagnosis, situation for simple ear mites that pets have been getting for hundreds of years... no big deal requiring tons of money and testing. So, there it was almost first-hand... told him about the vinegar/water and, bingo, cured and monthly expense gone. There are reasons why this works that I won't go into. The point, really, is you might want to ask around on the net for your area to find a vet and get a second opinion. Just a thought.

Last edited:

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
Check with the Vet to see if sweetie is short on minerals....zinc for instance.
It is amazing how being short on something seemingly so small can cause problems.
I have a chronic skin condition that I take zinc for.
Also check his blood sugar. For whatever reasons many animals are becoming diabetic.
I am not a Vet BTW... I just hate to see critters suffer :(

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
I'm an old gal and can tell you one thing for sure. Vets have changed. Example: My little chihuahua appeared to have ear mites after a journey into the wilds. I remembered from years ago treating a cat that there was a home remedy. Googled for it and came upon horror story after horror story of very high vet bills, putting the pet through all kinds of very expensive tests, etc and ongoing monthly expenses to the owner with nothing working and the cause undetermined. I was in shock! Then I found what I was after... the home remedy and skipped the vet. Half vinegar, half distilled water, cured the situation in under a week with vast improvement after the first treatment... no ear scratching. Later my step-son feel prey to the expensive, ongoing treatment/no diagnosis, situation for simple ear mites that pets have been getting for hundreds of years... no big deal requiring tons of money and testing. So, there it was almost first-hand... told him about the vinegar/water and, bingo, cured and monthly expense gone. There are reasons why this works that I won't go into. The point, really, is you might want to ask around on the net for your area to find a vet and get a second opinion. Just a thought.

Jeez..the Vets are getting like the regular (human) docs :(
It's becoming all about the cash :(

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I do dog rescue, have seen this --- you did not say what kind of dog you have and it happens more with dogs with eitehr lots of hair growth between toes and if the hair is stiff, i.e., tend to get ingrown. ............
Make your dog some chicken + rice or lamb + rice for 21 days and see what happens. home made, not from can or commercial dog food. You can certainly have him sensitivity tested for allergies, but I would try the food thing first, since if his problems resolve then you already know it's in the commercial food. You did not say what you are feeding?...........

even though it doesn't sound like the OP is going to try this, I am a big believer in the bland diet to get a system normalized :). do you mean brown rice or white rice? my vet says white rice is used for a bland diet. just want to clarify for others who might be interested.

Just out of interest would you PM me in a few weeks and let me know if not vaping around your dog fixes the problem? ............

jonny, I wish you would come back to this thread and let us all know. and do you plan to not vape around him for a month or what test time period are you thinking of?

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Holy shnikes, EricHill, you slide these in here like you OWN IT. You do, man, you do, and props to you for your perfectly appropriate pic and vid responses. Oh, EricHill, you make my time on ECF worthwhile.

Thanks bro! Glad someone enjoys my sense of humor lolz.

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
the last dog I had had 14 years of bad skin problems that would clear up with antibiotics only to return a few weeks after the antibiotic where through, went through vet after vet and a ton of money nobody could offer a solution. I hope you find something that works it's hard to watch your fur-ball suffer.

Neena

Dec 5, 2012
New York
I've had two Bulldogs and both had interdigital cysts. Ran every test they knew of, and all were normal. After numerous trips to the vet to have them drained to get them relief, they both hated having their feet touched and the vet was concerned about getting bit. Kind of hard to muzzle a bulldog! I just started doing it myself before they got too bad. I put all my dogs on grain free food trying to help my Boston Terrier with itchy skin. After trying a few different flavors, I found that she can only eat beef. Chicken and Turkey bring the itching right back. It never did help with the cysts on my Bully, but their skin and coats are beautiful now and they hardly shed at all anymore. I buy the 4 Health brand from Tractor Supply. Much cheaper than Blue Buffalo, especially when I have 3 dogs to feed.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I've had two Bulldogs and both had interdigital cysts. Ran every test they knew of, and all were normal. After numerous trips to the vet to have them drained to get them relief, they both hated having their feet touched and the vet was concerned about getting bit. Kind of hard to muzzle a bulldog! I just started doing it myself before they got too bad. I put all my dogs on grain free food trying to help my Boston Terrier with itchy skin. After trying a few different flavors, I found that she can only eat beef. Chicken and Turkey bring the itching right back. It never did help with the cysts on my Bully, but their skin and coats are beautiful now and they hardly shed at all anymore. I buy the 4 Health brand from Tractor Supply. Much cheaper than Blue Buffalo, especially when I have 3 dogs to feed.

That's the brand I found.

Jonny2400

Jun 6, 2011
Northern Ireland
Well I though I would give you all an update after trying the no vaping rule (which is a lot harder than no smoking, I didn't notice how much I vaped, my provari is aways in arms reach.

Well...it's kind good news, while its still early days his biggest cyst on his paw, which have never cleared in 3+ months has halfed in size, his other few are seeming to brother him a lot less... As I said early days and whether this improvement is solely related to him not inhaling any vaper is still up for debate.

I do think his improvements are reason to continue with the no vaping rule

Jonny

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
Half vinegar, half distilled water, cured the situation in under a week with vast improvement after the first treatment... no ear scratching. Later my step-son feel prey to the expensive, ongoing treatment/no diagnosis, situation for simple ear mites that pets have been getting for hundreds of years... no big deal requiring tons of money and testing. So, there it was almost first-hand... told him about the vinegar/water and, bingo, cured and monthly expense gone. There are reasons why this works that I won't go into. The point, really, is you might want to ask around on the net for your area to find a vet and get a second opinion. Just a thought.

i get ear aches my self. My dr recommended half vinegar and half mineral oil. The vinegar is to lower Ph. Bacteria dont like that for the most part. Interesting that you got it from your vet and I got the remedy from my General MD.

About vets, I have had many great ones and many dummys. The dumb ones, if they dont know what to do just keep treating and treating and treating the problem, only guessing at what might work.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Yeh, I didn't go into it but it is all about PH... mites don't like it either. My vet didn't tell me though.. an old-timer who treated all the barnyard cats on his farm since he was a kid and handed down generation to generation treatment for mites. With mites, though, you have to treat the ears this way twice a day for a weeks because the eggs that hatch in that brown waxy stuff have to be caught. Basically, you do the treatment twice a day and remove the brown stuff with a q-tip in the process. It looks cleared up in a matter of days though and the pet quits scratching with the first treatment.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
Well I though I would give you all an update after trying the no vaping rule (which is a lot harder than no smoking, I didn't notice how much I vaped, my provari is aways in arms reach.

Well...it's kind good news, while its still early days his biggest cyst on his paw, which have never cleared in 3+ months has halfed in size, his other few are seeming to brother him a lot less... As I said early days and whether this improvement is solely related to him not inhaling any vaper is still up for debate.

I do think his improvements are reason to continue with the no vaping rule

Jonny

so I'm glad your dog is improving. I guess you are now a non smoker and a non vapor :)
I'm happy my vaping has had no affect at all on my 6 animals!

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
So we don't know about the PG/VG implications. My dog has allergies, licks her paws and hoo hoo until they're red. Went through multiple food changes, kept the weeds in line, Benadryl from time to time. It's much better. But one suggestion from the vet was to wipe her paws with a damp paper towel when she came indoors. I imagine your vet suggested the same.

Jonny2400

Jun 6, 2011
Northern Ireland
Update 2

Ok it appears that I have had some very good success, as They where clear... For the first time in years they were clear :)

Its been so hard not vaping near him as any dog owners know, they tend to follow you around lol

Then on Saturday my two friends called, both vapers and Alfie being himself was in the middle of them, now I should have send him outside, but well I didn't and both my pals vaped away all night.

then i noticed on Sunday evening he had two huge brand new cysts :facepalm:

while I still can't say for 100% that vaping is def the cause for his cyst, recent efforts and events are pointing that way

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Update 2

Ok it appears that I have had some very good success, as They where clear... For the first time in years they were clear :)

Its been so hard not vaping near him as any dog owners know, they tend to follow you around lol

Then on Saturday my two friends called, both vapers and Alfie being himself was in the middle of them, now I should have send him outside, but well I didn't and both my pals vaped away all night.

then i noticed on Sunday evening he had two huge brand new cysts :facepalm:

while I still can't say for 100% that vaping is def the cause for his cyst, recent efforts and events are pointing that way

That is weird. Glycol in some form or another is in so many things, including shampoo I don't see how it can be avoided. But given the amounts of anything else emitted in the vapor and that little "study" I'd say that has to be what it is. Even if you had a high amount of flavoring they wouldn't always be the same chemicals between flavors. Nicotine is in a very small amount and I'd think contact would be made with plants that have nicotine during a dog's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread