Is Philip Morris heading towards PV market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Look what I came across today: Smokers given hope of safe cigarette - National - NZ Herald News.

Looks like Phillip Morris will be introducing a nicotine pyruvate inhaler or whatever that is, I dont know. Another smokeless tobacco product. This could be a step to the right direction for the big, fat tobacco companies and could possibly lead to them going into an e-cigarette market. But... Looking at the chemicals they put in analogs, I doubt they will succed.

DerekUrban

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
Omg! Can you imagine? What if tobacco companies decide to take over all of our e-cig and liquid vendors and infect everything with their poison?

I doubt they'd even have to do that, they'd just have stock every convenience store with their juice, along with the analogs, and the internet market for it will drop tremendously.

Not that that would be completely a bad thing, if it's good quality, addictive carcinogen free liquid available in multiple flavors at my neighborhood 7-11. I just don't trust 'em.

Raven_Blackblade

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Kent, Washington
I dont like the idea of Big Tobacco getting their dripping poisonous claws into our e-cigs and juice.

dr_mr_horse.jpg

emilysunshine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2010
Texas
At the bottom of this article is this:
HOW IT WORKS

* Liquid nicotine and pyruvic acid mix in a chemical reaction to form nicotine pyruvate.
* Pyruvic acid used as an aerosol to carry the nicotine to the lungs.
* It occurs naturally in the human body.
* Device powered by inhalation - no heating.
* Prototype shaped like cigarette but larger.
* Will be miniaturised for sale.
* Inventor expected commercial sales by 2015.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
i do not think this is going to get off the ground. No heating.. meaning.. no vaping? We had those.. have those.. they are like plastic tubes with nitocine fumes you inhale. If this is like that.. no vapor, people won't take to it.

Sounds like they are saying this is like a nicotine inhaler only one that looks like a cigarette.. if there is no vaping, it's not an e-cig. The article says the bought the rights to an e-cig.. this remains to be seen.

Last edited:

pearlheartgtr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
NY
Unfortunately if e-cigs eat into their profit margins enough for them to notice (which they have already) we can pretty much count on them dipping into the pie. I just hope all these small independent vendors aren't run out of town on a rail so to speak.

I think the small independant vendors will be fine. There seems to be a loyal customer base (by judging from this forum) already and more people will likely become loyal customers after joining this and any other e-cig forum.

The NJoys tanked at a few local 7-11s (I have friends who work for 7-11) because people just didn't want to be bothered with it, especially when a box of 5 cartos is $20 ($30 at the local smoke shop). Having a small sign on the window and employees who know nothing of the product doesn't help either. I doubt Phillip-Morris will pay for employee training or if employers will bother giving out trainiing aids to their employers for the product.

This new inhaler thing-a-ma-jig will probably be overpriced anyways and people walking into 7-11 are going to look at that and then a pack of cigarettess. They're going to choose the cigs. Also, being that it is an aerosol, it's going to be a cool/cold mist. I, personally, can't inhale a cold vape. I cough up a lung in a violent manner.

As for the nicotine, PH isn't going to make it as strong as their cigarettes. They have the dissolvable tobacco and it isn't nearly as strong as their cigarettes. They want people to smoke, but they also want a piece of the other pie. I don't think they're going to make much of a dent.

Also think of the advertising. More than likely, the bulk will be in magazines. Many people will see it and check the web for more info. If they go on the surfing string, eventually they'll end up here and learn about the e-cig.

The e-cig is more word of mouth than anything and it's doing pretty damn well for itself. We just need to keep educating people on a personal level and get them interested in it. I know I've converted a few and they've converted a few, so on and so forth.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
The tobacco companies do what all companies do. They provide a product to a market that wants to buy. If you truly think the tobacco companies did something to you, please read this or read it again. If the tobacco companies wronged you, they had plenty of help.

As for them getting into the e-cig business, once the regulatory environment firmed up, it was inevitable someone big would get into the game. Tobacco company or not, the result would be the same.

jwtaylor27

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Alabama
My biggest fear is government intervention and taxation. As soon as uncle sam see's this as a cash cow they are going to start taxing the crap out of it with sin taxes. I'm also afraid that they will start putting heavy restrictions on internet sales of nicotine products. With the large corporations entering the segment larger eyes will be on the industry.

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
My biggest fear is government intervention and taxation. As soon as uncle sam see's this as a cash cow they are going to start taxing the crap out of it with sin taxes. I'm also afraid that they will start putting heavy restrictions on internet sales of nicotine products. With the large corporations entering the segment larger eyes will be on the industry.

This is inevitable. It will happen. The question is when and to what degree.

hankbizzo5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Ct, Eastern
As for the nicotine, PH isn't going to make it as strong as their cigarettes. They have the dissolvable tobacco and it isn't nearly as strong as their cigarettes. They want people to smoke, but they also want a piece of the other pie. I don't think they're going to make much of a dent.

With the thousands of chemicals they will add to it who even needs the nic strong!!!!!

ScooterGirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
CT

The government already has its cash cow; they're called cigarettes. Sales of cigarettes in 2010 at retail prices was $2.7 billion, compared to the paltry (in comparison) $100 million for PV parts and juices. The cigarette cash cow is so impressive that the feds don't bother much with cigars or pipe tobacco. They haven't even bothered with smaller tobacco companies who, to get around the ban on shipping cigarette tobacco, started cutting their cigarette tobacco differently and labeling it as pipe tobacco, which IS legal to ship. There ARE taxes, yes, but as nothing compared to cigarettes which is why RYO, with even the very best tobacco from a company like Daughters & Ryan, is still wicked cheap compared to buying prepackaged cigarettes. However, most people don't want to be bothered with RYO and so it's not worth hunting them down because they, like the PV user, are very much the minority. Since obesity has now surpassed cigarette smoke as the #1 cause of preventable illness I suspect the federal government will soon turn it's eye on the the junk and fast food industries, the Holy Grail of cash cows, leaving vapers and smokeless tobacco users to do their thing in relative anonymity.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
I think phillip morris sees the trend, believing it will hit mass appeal by 2013-15, hoping they can cash in after the mom and pops do the leg work. I doubt they will have any product that will drastically compete with ecigs, if at all. We have mods after all, and some pretty kick .... devices. I dont think we'll find these in stores. Short of adding extra chemicals to give TH and the like, or a more powerful chemical to deliver nicotine. I like to believe that noone would trust PM or RJ, or any tobacco companies to introduce a product that is better in any way, and not tamper with it somehow. Their reputation might be their downfall on these, even IF they did have better product. The trust factor will never exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread