Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Same as any other taxes; to buy votes and keep them in power.

I see it as a Cash Grab for a State that Offends the Least amount of People.

But the Question still remains, Why does the Tax need to be More than on Regular Cigarettes?

Policy Makers need to be put on the Public Record with the Answer to this Question.

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada
That amount of tax isn't devestating but if the shop is reponsible for the record keeping and payments it's a hastle and increases the cost of doing business. I suppose the shop needs to deal with the paperwork because otherwise you couldn't sell liquid made out of state. If there is no interference with consumer mail order it just pushs people there sooner which isn't good for local jobs.

Taxing zero nic is questionable. They don't have the argument of derived from tobacco. They might as well have a special tax on cell phones and baby food.

Thanks for the feed back. It would be interesting to hear more once your shop is paying the tax.
I don't know US state politics all that well but up here it's easier to amend a law than to create one...
I feel like it'll be a lot easier for them to jack that $.05 tax to $1 per ml than it would have been to institute a 95% tax in the first place...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Their trying to protect their ongoing income from the MSA, they hope we will continue smoking if vaping is more expensive.

Desk murderers all.

That's fine. If a Policy Maker wants to come out and Publically state this, so Be It. At least they are being Honest.

BTW - Calling someone a "Desk Murderer" doesn't make Dealing with them any Easier when Trying to reach a Compromise on a Bill Amendment.

Just Say'n.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
They may tax it. Wherever we live. All we can do is object to that.

They may argue that people are using products that deliver equivalent amounts of nicotine to cigarettes.

They tax cigarettes.

They will argue, on nicotine volumes alone, that they are entitled to raise tax on this basis.

Watch and wait. The EU are making these arguments as we speak.

It would be very stupid of them to push most people back on to tobacco and the rest underground.

Watch and wait. :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They may tax it. Wherever we live. All we can do is object to that.

They may argue that people are using products that deliver equivalent amounts of nicotine to cigarettes.

They tax cigarettes.

They will argue, on nicotine volumes alone, that they are entitled to raise tax on this basis.

Watch and wait. The EU are making these arguments as we speak.

It would be very stupid of them to push most people back on to tobacco and the rest underground.

Watch and wait. :)

I am under No Illusion that e-Liquids use will be Taxed in the USA at a Rate that is Aligned with a the Tax on PAD Smoking. I think that is All but a Given.

But what is kinda Shocking is the Rates being Proposed by Some States.

Rates that I would like Policy Makers to Publically Comment on. And State Clearly for the Camera what their Justifications are?

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I am under No Illusion that e-Liquids use will be Taxed in the USA at a Rate that is Aligned with a the Tax on PAD Smoking. I think that is All but a Given.

Rates that I would like Policy Makers to Publically Comment on. And State Clearly for the Camera what their Justifications are?

Go get 'em. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

You know they will go to great lengths attempting to avoid this, right? Most career politicians have developed considerable skill in the art of evading the tough questions, 'cause those skills are essential to remaining in office.

Please tell us more.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You know they will go to great lengths attempting to avoid this, right? Most career politicians have developed considerable skill in the art of evading the tough questions, 'cause those skills are essential to remaining in office.

Please tell us more.

Developed?

I think there is an Avoidance Gene that is Expressed in some Individuals more than Others.

---

I'll PM you.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am curious about this myself. Especially if there is any way to help.

The Best thing for an Individual to do is Join and Donate to Groups like CASAA and SFATA.

And then to get signatures on a Pro e-Cigarette Letter and send it to their State / Federal Reps. Know a Doctor? A Lawyer? How about a College Professor? Get them to Sign. And, of course, get Everyone who is 18 Years or Older who can Sign their Name to sign it also.

And what would be Wrong with Sending a Favorable Study or Article to your Local Paper or News Agency? Or ask you Favorite B&M to hand out Fliers to ECF Advocacy Threads?

But here's the Clencher. What would happen if you could Another Person to do what I just Mentioned? And then they could get Another.

The Sum Total of the Active Members of the ECF makes up Less than 1% of the Active Vapers in the USA. These people need to be Reach.

Strings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Manitowoc WI USA
doesn't make Dealing with them any Easier when Trying to reach a Compromise on a Bill Amendment.

What is this "compromise" of which you speak?

Right now, we have everything we want. What is it that we could be offered in exchange for not opposing whatever regulation they propose?

You seem to be using the more modern version of the word. Allow me to link an explanation: via the Lawdog Files

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    SUBSIDIZE VAPING
    or just leave it alone

How about the above counterattack? If it improves overall health, they should help out vaping. Except they don't need to (but could).

Tobacco funds are supposed to go to the health fund and offset the costs of smoking. If vaping avoids these health costs, what are the taxes for? If it reduces these costs, we're accomplishing one thing those tax monies should be paying for.

Taxing vapor even at 1 cent a gallon, as part of the tobacco system, has a big unexpected problem: it makes vapor-only stores less competitive with tobacco stores, since it requires the shop become allowed to sell tobacco.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    What is this "compromise" of which you speak?

Right now, we have everything we want. What is it that we could be offered in exchange for not opposing whatever regulation they propose?

You seem to be using the more modern version of the word. Allow me to link an explanation: via the Lawdog Files

So what do you Suggest the Vaping Community do then?

Last edited:

Strings

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2014
    Manitowoc WI USA
    Become politically involved. CASAA could easily become a force very similar to the NRA, IF (biggest word ever in politics) we could get folk to join and be motivated, we wouldn't need to allow legislation to ever become a problem

Instead, we're arguing about what regulations we can live with. That isn't "compromise", it's "capitulation". Guess folks don't read my sig

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread