Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Become politically involved. CASAA could easily become a force very similar to the NRA, IF (biggest word ever in politics) we could get folk to join and be motivated, we wouldn't need to allow legislation to ever become a problem

Instead, we're arguing about what regulations we can live with. That isn't "compromise", it's "capitulation". Guess folks don't read my sig

This would be a Good Start.

And BTW - I Don't read Signatures because I have Signatures Turned Off.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
tobacco funds are supposed to go to the health fund and offset the costs of smoking.
What "health fund"? No government actually has a "fund" for much of anything. They always spend money faster than they receive it and expect to pay future obligations out of future revenues somehow. Lately, they've been borrowing at an ever faster pace in a pathetic attempt to avoid admitting they already can't meet their obligations. It's going to be epic when this all blows up.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So what do you Suggest the vaping Community do then?
I suggest we make it quite clear to those in Power that we will Not Comply with their regulations and we will Not Pay their taxes; that all they will accomplish by imposing them is to Kill a thriving cottage industry and the taxes that this industry already pays. Personally, I intend to vape for the rest of my life, but I'm Determined never to pay another cent in tobacco or nicotine taxes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I suggest we make it quite clear to those in Power that we will Not Comply with their regulations and we will Not Pay their taxes; that all they will accomplish by imposing them is to Kill a thriving cottage industry and the taxes that this industry already pays. Personally, I intend to vape for the rest of my life, but I'm Determined never to pay another cent in tobacco or nicotine taxes.

Trust me, this is Something that comes up a Lot. And many refer to it as the NYC Syndrome.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It happens that Michigan, where I live, has an e-cig company of significant size. I believe it's publically owned. I wrote to a legislator who is resisting taxes on e-cigs and made the argument that the world wide tobacco business has revenues approaching $1 trillion per year. The e-cig business is after that revenue, all of it. A lot of new businesses are being formed to compete for this revenue. They all have to be located somewhere, have employees, etc. The states that treat e-cigs harshly are not going to get those businesses. The states that publically declare they welcome those businnesses may have success with that.

Tax collectors consider how effective a tax will be and whether it will create an underground economy. With e-cigs that is problematic. Are UPS and the post office going to be screening packages for contraband? Will the courts go along with taxing devices and 0 nic e liquid under tobacco authority? Will the states put their vape shops out of business? E-cigs have been around for some years and yet very little has happened beside chest beatig.

susanlinda823

Moved On
Oct 15, 2014
Dallas
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

I agree with you enthusiastically…it's a philosophy I've advocated all my adult life…cut them off at the knees. Deprive them of the flow. All they know to do is create more debt for the public (and masters). The rich man...is always sold to the institution which makes him rich. —Henry David Thoreau

G'luck all.

:)

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
I think its totally fair to tax them, we tax everything else...But dont put an outrageous amount on it. :glare:

By the mentality in your statement, I am willing to bet that you vote for these nanny statist Democrats most of the time. It's that "lets find a way to regulate and tax it" mentality, and how you think Taxing is somehow "fair".

If you really feel that way, I have to wonder why you're living in the prosperous and somewhat free state of Texas instead of a more tax happy not so prosperous state like California where the nanny dems in control are drunk on their never ending lust for finding new ways to control their subjects and get a piece of their money. And the people who keep them in office with their votes think its perfectly "acceptable" to be taxed, because after all "its for their own good" since of course "the people" couldnt be trusted to live their own lives without big brother keeping them in check. Arrrgh but, anyway...

Fair for whom ?
And at what level of money grubbing is ok in your "fun police" mindset as not being "outrageous" ?

Taxation is just a way to create larger more intrusive government, which in turn becomes yet another den of criminal theives bent on finding more new ways to take MY money away to fuel their machine with higher taxation and even more regulations.

Last edited:

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

I do think high taxes will force some vaping into the black market ... however, that will jump start the next BG move.

The war on vapes [emoji61]

Sent via iPhone

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
[...] how you think Taxing is somehow "fair". [...] Fair for whom ?
And at what level of money grubbing is ok in your "fun police" mindset as not being "outrageous" ? [...]

For starters, a "fair" tax should affect everyone equally, so any attempt to make it "outrageous" could be promptly noticed and sanctioned by the voters.

As an example, a "sales tax" that is the same for all products.

An "unfair" tax is a tax introduced to affect only a minority. As such, it cannot be fought against since the majority (that could decide the outcome of a vote) has no skin in the game.

Since raising the general sales tax would be highly unpopular, the current strategy is to introduce taxes one by one, minority by minority. Environmental recycling fees. E-liquid tax. etc. One at a time. Minority by minority. Until in the end everything will be taxed higher. But hey, it was a "democratic" process - the majority always agreed, every single time.

Salami tactics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_in_detail

P.S. Also notable are the vilifying campaigns against said minorities before a tax is to be introduced. To make sure that the majority wouldn't be largely neutral, but actively against the minority. Monsters who fill the planet with lead laced old electronics. Addicts who corrupt the children into harmful habits. etc.

Last edited:

V8porism

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Taxation is inevitable. The cards are stacked against us. Government officials, Big Pharma & Big Tobacco don't want us to vape. They want us to smoke, pay high taxes & slowly die, while spending our life savings battling ailments from the poison contained in cigarettes.

We all know Vaping shouldn't be categorized with tobacco. We all see the train coming to run us over.

Here are the questions we should all be asking...

What are we going to do about it?
How are we going to get around this?
How can we protect our rights as consumers?

Our generation put the music industry in its place by creating a system of checks and balances with MP3 downloads.

It's time we stop complaining & start uniting to come up with solutions.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Some statistics are starting to appear about how many people are vaping and how many have entirely quit smoking. The numbers seem promising if not very successful. Several 10 of millions use e-cigs. 3-4 million apparently have quit by vaping. I'd like to have more precision with those numbers but government knows the more of them there are the more trouble taxing is going to create. How fast are the numbers increasing and how long will the FDA procrastinate, which is what they are doing right now in my view and they shold procrastinate if they actually care about the public health.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
if states begin to tax juice, stores ( B&Ms) will just hike up the price..... and keep selling it... doesnt seem to have damaged the sales of ciggies that much, there are plenty of stores that sell ciggies ( but higher taxation of ciggies did steer me towards vaping)
it will hurt the local vape shops because people will just start buying on-line to avoid those taxes like they did with tobacco products.and it may discourage smokers from quitting

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I found this about the MN excise tax. E-cigarettes Mail order purchases from out of state are subject to the tax but in most states that's true of all out of state mail order purchases. Zero nic liquids are NOT taxed so buying zero nic and adding nic at home would be a work around. Vaping hardware is not taxed so long as it comes with no fluids containing nicotine.

If my state, Michigan, did the same as MN I would make my own e liquids. I'm seriously considering that already because of the possibility of taxes. Currently I'm buying liquids online in 120ml bottles. Vape shop prices are already too high for me.

I suspect the devices aren't taxed because of legal barriers.

The customers who came in to the vape shop while I was there were young and old and obviously on limited budgets. They want to avoid the harm of cigarettes and they need the money they save by vaping. Taxing their smoking or vaping is cruel. Dig down and the people who run things in america are a nasty bunch.
state tax on out of state purchases is very hard to collect. California could not do it with their tobacco or sales tax. out of state sellers just don't collect it and in state buyers just don't report it.it will likely be the same with e-juice. how hard is it for a kid to click "i am over 18" at an online store or buy a prepaid credit card to pay for the purchase ? just more government agencies trying to expand their power and collect more taxes.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Now we know that literally millions of americans have used ecigs to quit smoking. Where are the reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs? Another thing in our favor, so far it appears that republican state legislatures aren't so receptive to taxing e-cig products.

I've been googling ecig news stories by the hundred. It appears to me there is a press campaign that is being orchestrated in a public relations kind of way. If I'm right it's big enough to require some organization and paid people to pull it off. Track back to who those people are and we have a story. Our best story at the moment is high quality survey numbers about how many people have quit smoking via ecigs. That data quality should improve, what ever the number it helps focus on how to make it larger. Taxing the products will only make it smaller, which is contrary to the public health

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
The prejudice against e-cigs is to some extent supported by the system. I recently had to attend hospital for a minor matter, and as usual they asked me "Do you smoke?". I said "No, but I use an electronic cigarette." The doctor said "We count that as smoking - we don't know enough about them yet."

We may not know enough about them yet - but to officially class it as smoking? This kind of authority-led bias could lead to taxation imho.

I could see that he put this information down on my computerised medical records. So although I have not smoked since 2008 - I am officially a smoker. This sort of thing makes me very cross.

I imagine that, if I'd been using NRT, I'd have been classed as an ex- smoker. :mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread