Is the e-ciggie for quitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I think there are ways to market the fact that many smokers quit cigarettes after taking up e-smoking. Just don't state this practice is for quitting. Say "E-cigs offer smokers a way to step down on their nicotine intake, all the way to no nicotine at all, if they want. In this way, some have found they can successfully stay off tobacco cigarettes."

Wording is everything. If you make a flat statement that e-cigs are for quitting, you will be challenged to prove it.

I've read many e-device Web sites and some stand my hair on end with unprovable claims and downright lies. Ruyan is most cautious -- and that's the way to go. Ruyan even suggests using non-nicotine cartridges. Wonderful statement. They show they are on the side of the citizens using their products. They want buyers to be healthy. E-smoking is a healthy alternative for tobacco cigarette smokers.

Just contrast Ruyan's approach with the outlandish claims found on many other sites. Some sound like snake-oil salesmen. And they won't sell for long in the United States once their e-cigs are noticed. They can't prove what they claim so it's false advertising -- and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
I dont think they can be used for quitting at all. Quitting tobacco, sure. I dont smoke cigs anymore.. but smoking in general no way. I smoke MORE now that i have an e-cig, since its easier and more convenient
:DThat is the same feeling I feel

actually I smoke even more than u??
I do sometime smoke real cigarette ...maybe I still early e smoke only 3 days but the real cigarette I smoke already is only few sticks less than last time

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
Wording is everything. If you make a flat statement that e-cigs are for quitting, you will be challenged to prove it.

I suppose so... that would be the way to allow it to be marketed as a quit smoking aid without saying that that's all that it is.

I just didn't want to go back to suggesting that they be called "Portable Smoke Machines" lol :p

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
If e-smoking is challenged (or should I say "when"), we can argue that there are legal devices being sold in America that do essentially what an e-cig does. Those devices are called vaporizers. They take a substance, often herbal, and turn it into an inhalable vapor. They are for personal use. Our devices are just portable, personal vaporizers.

There are also medical vaporizing devices but we don't want the word "medical" even mentioned, since medical devices require lots of expensive testing before being allowed on the market.

I think the real problem is going to be nicotine in cartridges and liquid. It's poison, highly addictive and we are using it for recreational, not medicinal, purposes. If our product is not for "smoking cessation," and it's not medical in purpose, then the only thing left is "recreational purposes." The FDA can't regulate cigarettes, but it can regulate a drug like nicotine, and all devices to deliver it that are not tobacco products.

This is the agency that gave us the Surgeon General's reports so damning all things tobacco.

I have no idea how this will end, but am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. My personal fears go beyond e-smoking because I think Swedish snus will be in the bulls-eye as well.

Right now, the medical community is split on the philosophy of "harm reduction." I'm a believer in the cold logic of harm reduction, no matter the addictive substance. E-smoking holds the promise of harm reduction for nicotine addicts. My spirits will rise if a few top doctors and health authorities say, "You know, harm reduction makes sense. Let's save some smokers' lives by permitting alternatives to cigarettes."

In all this, I think the only "given" is that e-smoking will not enjoy a free ride in the marketplace for long.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Maybe what you should be saying, devilfish, is something like 'I vape more then I used to smoke'. Or even 'I e-smoke more then I used to smoke tobacco'....
In my mind, the 'mistake' you are making here, is not making a difference between what you are doing now, and what you were doing before. Before, you were smoking. Now... you are not smoking. Yes you cáll it smoking... but it's not the same, it's very different.

It's like loving apples, eating ten a day... and then you discover pears and eat 15 a day. How can you then say 'I eat more apples now then I ever did before'?

@ TB: With you all the way as to the view on harm reduction.

Last edited:

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
Maybe what you should be saying, devilfish, is something like 'I vape more then I used to smoke'. Or even 'I e-smoke more then I used to smoke tobacco'....
In my mind, the 'mistake' you are making here, is not making a difference between what you are doing now, and what you were doing before. Before, you were smoking. Now... you are not smoking. Yes you cáll it smoking... but it's not the same, it's very different.

It's like loving apples, eating ten a day... and then you discover pears and eat 15 a day. How can you then say 'I eat more apples now then I ever did before'?
:oops:nice saying here...

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
I definitely e-smoke more than I should; however, I cut down to low or zero nicotine several times a day. But on real cigs I would smoke a pack a day, if not more sometimes.

I actually think you could quit nicotine by using e-cigs. Eventually you could go zero nicotine and still e-smoke like some already do.

Last edited:

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
I definitely e-smoke more than I should; however, I cut down to low or zero nicotine several times a day. But on real cigs I would smoke a pack a day, if not more sometimes.

I actually think you could quit nicotine by using e-cigs. Eventually you could go zero nicotine and still e-smoke like some already do.
:Dso in theroy u still smoke real cigarette too?

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
No I haven't had a real cigarette in over 6 months. I was just comparing how much I e-smoke to how many real cigs I use to smoke.
gee for me I don;t have the determination

I do smoke real cigarette but is less due to I constant e smoke

but problem is I feel qulity been lazy in office...never go out smoke

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
For some reason determination to quit real cigs wasn't the reason I switched over. I just seemed to enjoy e-smoking better. I didn't have a problem at all giving up real cigs. You would think I would since I smoked since I was 13, now I can't stand real cigs and wonder how I did smoke them all those years.

I still do, every once in a while, go outside with a co-worker and while they smoke a real cig - I e-smoke. I like the break it gives me.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
YES! The Eciggie is for quitting- whether it will work for you or I is another matter- but it definately is for quitting as people have been able to quit with it- that is a fact. Some people are even down to zero nicotine cartridges, so yes, it's for quitting.

It is ALSO for pure enjoyment- most peopel will buy them for hte enjoyment and hte reinstated right to smoke htem in public.

The Eciggie is ALSO for cuttign down. Most peopel who bought htem for enjoyment, and peopel who buy them for cuttign down, have foudn out quite conclusively that they have idneed been able to cut down on their daily real cigarette usage.

It really doesn't matter I think how htey are marketted, as all three scenarios apply to hte E-cig- it has been unoficially documented that all three scenarios are very real results.

If these devices get banned, it will be banned purely based on extreme bias agaisnt smokers. We're already seeing Doctors coming out making extremely biased and undocumented claims abotu hte devices, and using speculative statements without any evidence ot bakc it up with.

I stil smoke about 10-12 ciggs a day- just can't seem to go any lower than that- I did get to 8 ciggs a day, but went back up to 10 orm ore. (I'm still breathign better and not coughing up stuff nearly as much- hopefulyl I can stay around 10 or so real ciggs for a bit and try goign lower later)

Last edited:

garyl43

May 20, 2008
Utah USA
Update: I haven't had a cigarette now since 6/10. I quit the minute my snus arrived in the mail. I was using the snus and my e-cigs for the first 2 weeks, then my 22 year old refrigerator started into it's death throws, it just couldn't keep up with the hot weather any longer. Took 2 days to get a new fridge (good thing there wasn't a lot of food in there!).

I noticed my e-cigs started tasting funky and thought there was something wrong with them. Then I took a little taste of my different e-liquids that were in the fridge, and realized my whole supply had gone bad! I put 2 weeks in and wasn't about to give up so I continued with just the snus. I have a variety pack of 8 different types of loose snus and when that's gone I'm done with nicotine.

So far I have cut back on the snus to where a tin lasts me about 2 weeks. By the time I run out (4-5 months) It should be fairly easy to handle the withdrawls. My wife still smokes so there is always a carton of cigs around to temp me, but somehow I've managed to not even really think about having one. Wish me luck as I wish all of you!

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Thanks for the information, Gary. Note that snus needs refrigeration, too, particularly loose, wet varieties. Did those survive? I use only dry, white mini portions that don't require refrigeration. I order in small quantity so I use them before their "best before" expiration date (don't you wish e-cartridges and liquids had that kind of info on them?).

garyl43

May 20, 2008
Utah USA
The tin I had open was fine, the rest I keep in the freezer (vacuum packed) and it was still working fine. The fridge didn't completely die, it would only get down to about 50-55 degrees. I was really surprised that the milk survived but all the cartridges and 2 bottles of e-liquid (all ordered at different times) went bad so fast. By the way TB, I didn't even know snus existed until I read some of your posts on here and did a search so thanks!

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
:oops: sadly I have to admit e cig is NOT FOR QUITING
for most of the smokers.?

personally for me ...it make me more easy to smoke even with parents..around or those wift gf who hate smokers..

ppl who hate smokers..relatives who hate smokers..

u can sneak mode to smoke...

next usually we cannto smoke in shopping mall ect air con places

now we can smoke .

BUT e cig do help u cut down BUT because u constant smoking it...cos now is easy to smoke.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
No method or device to help smokers kick the cigarette addiction has a 100% success rate. Patches and gums and lozenges all help only about one in 10 people quit. We have learned that some people take to e-smoking immediately -- and quit cigarette smoking. Good for them. But we also know that some still enjoy smoking a cigarette some of the time. So e-smoking cannot completely replace the pleasure they get from real cigarettes. I've never believed e-smoking replicates real smoking. A quitter still needs that "willpower" to not smoke a real cigarette. But e-smoking is the best device/method we have to avoid real smoking.

You have pressures, DevilFish, personal and cultural, that keep you wanting real cigarettes. Don't punish yourself. You have about another 15 years before cigarette disease hits you. Once you start daily, deep, rattling, mucus-producing coughs, you'll try quitting again. And again. And again. I hope you succeed some day.

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
No method or device to help smokers kick the cigarette addiction has a 100% success rate. Patches and gums and lozenges all help only about one in 10 people quit. We have learned that some people take to e-smoking immediately -- and quit cigarette smoking. Good for them. But we also know that some still enjoy smoking a cigarette some of the time. So e-smoking cannot completely replace the pleasure they get from real cigarettes. I've never believed e-smoking replicates real smoking. A quitter still needs that "willpower" to not smoke a real cigarette. But e-smoking is the best device/method we have to avoid real smoking.

You have pressures, DevilFish, personal and cultural, that keep you wanting real cigarettes. Don't punish yourself. You have about another 15 years before cigarette disease hits you. Once you start daily, deep, rattling, mucus-producing coughs, you'll try quitting again. And again. And again. I hope you succeed some day.

;)
by the way I still wanna try the flavouring to add more deep sense.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Ok. Try it first just using flavor. You won't have to mix anything. And some forum members enjoy vaporizing just extract for the flavor. Me? I like coffee flavor, so that's what I use. Buy an extract from a grocery store, making sure it doesn't have oil in it. The ingredients should be flavor and propylene glycol. Or flavor and water/alcohol. Avoid all others. Read the ingredients on the bottle to see what's in it.

You know how to pull the mouthpiece/cartridge out. With it out, put a few drops (use an eyedropper) onto the atomizer inside your device. Pull the cartridge off the mouthpiece. It snaps on and off. Just pull it off and put it aside for the moment. Put the mouthpiece back on and start vaping. You'll have the strong taste of the flavor you selected. If you're using a propylene glycol extract, as we do in the States with Bickford, you'll have plenty of vapor, the same as always. Vapor should not be a problem.

Try it for about 10 minutes. That's how long two or three drops on the atomizer will last. Sadly, there is no tobacco flavor extract for us, so we all just use what we like the taste of. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread