Simon Chapman: Is it time to stop subsidising nicotine replacement therapies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Simon Chapman wisely suggests ending government subsidization of NRT (that is ineffective for smoking cessation but lucrative for Big Pharma shills and government agencies that hawk NRT and protect it from market competition by e-cigs and smokeless tobacco), touts cold-turkey for smoking cessation, but refuses to even mention e-cigs, which have helped several million smokers quit smoking despite being demonized and banned (in many countries, including Australia) by the same groups that hawk and protect NRT.
https://theconversation.com/is-it-time-to-stop-subsidising-nicotine-replacement-therapies-36760

It would be helpful if lots of vapers posted comments on this article (agreeing with Simon's point about NRT, but also pointing out the benefits of switching to vaping).

As one who has I've known Simon for more than 20 years, I could never figure out why he is so rationale sometimes (e.g. pointing out the ineffectiveness of government run smoking cessation clinics and NRT for smoking cessation, opposing smoking bans at beaches and other vast outdoor areas), but so irrational on other scientific and policy issues (he campaigned to demonize and ban the sale of snus and e-cigs, and he campaigned to mandate plain packaging for cigarettes in Australia).

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As one who has I've known Simon for more than 20 years, I could never figure out why he is so rationale sometimes (e.g. pointing out the ineffectiveness of government run smoking cessation clinics and NRT for smoking cessation, opposing smoking bans at beaches and other vast outdoor areas), but so irrational on other scientific and policy issues (he campaigned to demonize and ban the sale of snus and e-cigs, and he campaigned to mandate plain packaging for cigarettes in Australia).
This is an honest question...

Do you not understand his rationale sometimes?
Or do you understand it but don't want to get too harsh in a public forum?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
And I know I don't have to tell you that.
:)

But yeah, it's an honest question from someone wanting to understand this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread