Is the eGo-T really maddeningly terrible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethnobot

Jun 2, 2011
UK
I ask because I want to get 2 more batteries for my eGo but I'm also concerned about not having very many atties considering how much I vape. I don't think I'll be able to afford both lots of stuff at one time. Except I sort of can. I've got a half-price voucher for my next purchase over a certain figure from a particular vendor. This supplier currently has an eGo-T starter kit in stock for just over double the cost of the cheapest deal I found on more than 1 eGo batt. That means for a couple pounds more I get 900mAh batteries instead of 650mAh, a charger, an ejuice sample, two eGo-T atties & 5 tank cartridges.

Actually if anything's swinging me toward this deal at the moment it's the longer life those batts should have when charged - I've always let money choose batteries for me up to now & to me it hasn't proved to be an area where less=more. The tank system atties & tanks etc are a potentially worthwhile bonus since they should fit all 510 batts (not that I fancy yoking one to my slim auto 510 tho hehe). I'm fairly sure the atties don't fit my standard carts without adaption but the idea would be if I suffered that random affliction Multiple Atomizer Death syndrome (as in I got MAD the other day :p ) I'd stick a tank of juice on a tank atty & still have a half-decent vape. Whether this theory works in practice is largely down to the answer to my main question - is the eGo-T system even a halfway decent vape? because I have watched & read more than one review by somewhat disappointed individuals and those who claim it's fantastic usually seem to be vendors & therefore not very objective. I guess in my specific case the question is really "is it so godawful in your opinion that you wouldn't spend £2-3 to add it to your kit for emergencies". Coz if it'll vape ok in a bind for a couple weeks then that would solve my temporary peace of mind issue & I'd have no reason not to go for the 900mAh batts & the extra charger +10ml juice are better than a kick in the 'nads too. But I really don't want to avoid getting MAD and then go mad due to immense frustrations lol. Advice anyone?

Cheers, ethnobot

Apocalypse*Meow

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
Seattle
Welp, I hated it. Caveat, I'm not a tinkerer- I want something I can use with a minimum of fiddling-with. If you like modding and are handy, maybe it's something you'd be fine with. I found the wicks burnt on all my atties no matter how patiently I waited for the thing to wick the liquid up, and the flavor was muted and mixed with a yummy burning plastic taste. As a special bonus, the caps tended to wedge themselves onto the wick spike, creating a mess when I tried to pop the tanks out (yep, even properly "double clicked" on) necessitating retrieval with my needle tipped tweezers. And leaking. In short? Least favorite system I've tried by far and away.

I definitely knew they could be problematic when I ordered it, but tried it anyway hoping I'd get lucky and like it- and wished I'd just got the plain eGo kit promptly.

I found sticking a nice Boge carto on the eGo T battery was about a thousand times easier and less hair-pullingly frustrating. That is how I currently use them.

Some people love them though, and have no problems presumably; someone who does will hopefully post and give you their opinion too. I guess you can replace the wick and that's supposed to help some of the problems. But I just thought it was way more of a pain than I was willing to go through when a box of cartos fixed it much more easily, lol. And no mess!

MasonD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Our United States
I use the eGo-T; right now, it's the only pv I have.

If you don't mind fiddling around a little, the tank is fine.

There are some variables: Hard caps on the tank end have been reported to leak, soft caps, not so much. From what I've seen, the soft (silicone) caps come on the colored tanks, and the hard ones on the black.

I use a regular resistance atty-- people say that Low Resistance atties give you more flavor. I chose to stay with regular resistance, 'cause LR is harder on the battery, and it suits me fine.

The main problems I had, were leaking, and the wick.

You can solve some of the problem with using the soft cap; you can also adjust the wick up and down in the spike, so it makes less or more contact with the coil-- there's youtubes on that, and posts here.

You do have to take the wick-plate out to do a proper cleaning (dry-burn). That's a bit of a pain to learn, but once you learn it, you've learned it. You have to find a small, curved tool, or tweezers, to get underneath the wick-plate, and pull it-- don't use pliers to grab the wick-spike, 'cause you could mar it, leading to an early demise to your tanks, with leaking. Also, re-setting the plate is a little tedious the first couple of times, but then it's learned. So, minimally, you should learn how to do that: if you aren't comfortable taking things apart, you may not be happy with the eGo-t.

Also, if you lose or destroy a wick, you'll either need to buy a new atty, or learn the wick-mod, which is another sorta tedious thing to learn, but once you've learned it, you're fine. (I'm of the mind that the wick-mod gives you better performance and flavor, but it's not for everyone, because it does take some to learn, and can be very frustrating while you're learning, with lots and lots of 'taste like burning'

If you do dry-burns, and keep the atty clean, they seem to last a while. I haven't had a tank fail on me yet, but I've had it only a month or so (also, people seem to keep sending free tanks, when you order something for the T, so that's pretty cool...:p)

Other cons: Dark juices gunk up the atty at the coil real quick, even if they are thin. So, if you like coffee juice, you'll have to clean a lot-- but if this is in addition to what you already have for the eGo, than you'll be fine for that, in using your other gear for it.

Also-- high VG percentage wicks poorly. This leads to 'tastes like burning' yuckkers. I've read that some people vape all VG with the T, by having two atties in rotation.

From the sounds of it, this would be in addition to what you already have; I've read that some people use everything for the eGo batt depending on what they're doing-- dripping when they have time to relax, cartos for some juices, tanks for others and when in a hurry.

A plus is that it's easy to swap tanks on the go, and if you DIY, you can use them to test yer mix pretty easy-- but I guess you could do that with dripping, too.

You will always have some condensation build-up when you pull the tank, because of the design (the air-vent back to your mouth is the form of two channels grooved into the side of the tank, between that and the cooler part of the top of the cone....); this can be minimized with wiping the tank down from time to time.

So, it is what it is, and does what it does. Once you figure out the maintenance, it doesn't take too much time; but I won't lie: it does take some effort. Some people have been blessed with perfect equipment from the get-go; some, unfortunately, were cursed with failed atties, over and over again. But, it seems, most problems can be solved.

:toast:

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
Basically, I am not going to say that the ego-t is the best system out there but if you already have ego batteries that are 650mah then you don't have to buy the whole kit with charger and what not. You will just need the atty and tanks. I find that it depends on the pg/vg mix of the liquid that you are using and also how you seat the tank. If you puncture the tank and remove the little piece of plastic that it leaves hanging it helps it wick more consistently between tank fillings. Also, you should only remove the cap on the tank the one time and that is only to take off the excess plastic piece. After that, you should fill it with a syringe or something because the tanks will last you much longer. I have never had to do a wick adjustment or anything like that. I have had the burnt taste happen to me it seems that it is only when I put the tank back on and you can usually fix that by taking a quick hard drag on it unless the wick is flooded and if that is the case, you can blow it out and start over :) I find that when I use 70/30 pg/vg in my tanks, it works just fine but when I try to use 100% vg it is very hard to get it to wick. The bubbles come up very slowly and are larger than the ones with pg liquids so if you try to take a double hit or something, you will probably get a dry burnt taste. I would say grab a type B LR atty for the ego-t and some type B tanks and give it a try on your ego batteries that you have. It's really not as bad as some people say it is. I am getting a mod soon but I will still use my ego-t when I go out.

Caelius Felix

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Austin, Texas
I have enjoyed my ego T, but it is a fairly high-maintenance device. The atomizer is harder to clean that most others, the wick needs an occasional adjustment, and the tanks leak when warmed (not good for pocket carry or taking outside on a hot Texas afternoon). But it really does put out a good cloud of vapor, and I have used it successfully with even 100% VG juice, which no one recommends for this device. One great thing about having ego or ego T batteries is that they will fit all 510 atomizers and cartomizers, giving you a lot of choices.

I recently added a Boge Leo to my collection -- the cartomizers are huge (4ml) and I get pretty good vapor from them. Maintenance is zilch, but all the connections are proprietary and the battery won't work with other size attys, at least not until someone comes up with an adapter.

Another option you might try is a 510 tank atomizer to use with your existing ego batteries. Joye (the maker of the ego line) and some others produce these. They are much cheaper to replace than the ego T setups.

Hope this is helpful.

Rysup

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2011
Sydney, Australia
With taking the needleplate out. You can just use a key or something similiar in size that fits down the chamber. You only have to apply pressure against the needle sideways and it will pop straight out. You don't actually need pliers or any of that nonsense. It makes adjusting the wick that little bit less tedious...

To get it back on you pop it on a tank, push it in and make sure its seated all the way.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
after a 2 year hiatus, i just tried my ego-t. it's been horrible so far, and i really can't figure out what it is. i guess i'll have to head over to the mod forum.

Did you blow out the atty? It's filled with gunk when it's new. Make sure the hole is completely punctured and you don't have a hanging chad.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
I have enjoyed my ego T, but it is a fairly high-maintenance device. The atomizer is harder to clean that most others, the wick needs an occasional adjustment, and the tanks leak when warmed (not good for pocket carry or taking outside on a hot Texas afternoon). But it really does put out a good cloud of vapor, and I have used it successfully with even 100% VG juice, which no one recommends for this device. One great thing about having ego or ego T batteries is that they will fit all 510 atomizers and cartomizers, giving you a lot of choices.

I recently added a Boge Leo to my collection -- the cartomizers are huge (4ml) and I get pretty good vapor from them. Maintenance is zilch, but all the connections are proprietary and the battery won't work with other size attys, at least not until someone comes up with an adapter.

Another option you might try is a 510 tank atomizer to use with your existing ego batteries. Joye (the maker of the ego line) and some others produce these. They are much cheaper to replace than the ego T setups.

Hope this is helpful.

I actually tossed a 510-t atty on my ego battery today and for some reason it wicks much better with 100% vg than the ego-t atty. I am getting better flavor out of it.

mrrunon

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
Orange County, CA
Did you blow out the atty? It's filled with gunk when it's new. Make sure the hole is completely punctured and you don't have a hanging chad.

on one of them, i blew out the gunk. the other one i didn't.

on the one i blew the gunk out of, i had "some" taste.. for maybe about 6 hits. then it was back to the plastic taste.

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
IMO the tank is not all it's cracked up to. All the tank stuff I have (attys (reg and LR) and tanks) are just colledting dust. The vape is weak IMO and they are a hassle to deal with. I drip 90% of the time, and use cartos the other 10%. Cartos cuz I don't like to drip and drive.

Last edited:

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
im gonna have to give this a few more tries before i give up. gonna have to look for a different ecig (and might end up doing analogs until then). inhaling this dry atomizer vapor is not a good thing for my body.

If you fill the tank and take a few quick hits do you see the bubbles coming up in the liquid when you hold it with the mouthpiece facing up? I would suggest not inhaling for the time being until you figure it out because it tastes horrible.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
no bubbles, but it does taste horrible.

Hmm. The no bubbles would be the reason. You have a dry wick. When that happens to me, sometimes I can just turn the tank around and take different pulls on it until it starts to work. The wick might actually be burnt which happened to me one day and was really frustrating. After I tossed it in the ultrasonic cleaner with grain alcohol and dried it out, it worked like new. It's hard trying to explain what to do without having it in front of me but usually if you have the tank seated correctly and there is no hanging piece of plastic where the spike goes in then you should be seeing bubbles. The bubbles are a good thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread