Is there a blog or article to help someone new to DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
One thing to add...keep a notebook of all your efforts from start to finish, kinda like a DIY diary.
Excellent, excellent advice! :thumbs:

I can't tell you the number of extra hours I have added to my overall mixing time, because I forgot to make a notation about a tweak I tried to a recipe, and then had to go back and repeat the whole process over. Or, the "nirvana" recipe that slipped through my fingers, because I was "just fooling around" with some flavors and didn't bother to write anything down. Not to mention the failures I repeated due to the absence of notes (those really hurt!).

It doesn't matter how you do it. Some use note pads or binders, some use spreadsheets or word processors, and still others add their notes directly to their recipe calculators. Find what works best for you, and use it every time. For everything! Remember the details: what you did, why you did it, how long you did it for (this is starting to sound bad :eek:; like a Mel Brooks dialog)? And don't forget to add a note or two on results: did it work, what would you try differently next time?

You can save yourself a lot of heartache, and time with good consistent notes. You never know when you are going to discover the answer to world peace! :D

Can you tell I learned the hard way!? :lol:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Are there any blogs available for someone just getting started into DIY?
Any place where there are recipes available?

You came to the right place for blogs

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DIY, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Something I have done to get back to DIY is buy some flavors ready to mix, strawberry short cake & banana cream from Nature flavors and Lemonade cookie from Wizard, I also got Lucky Shot from DIY one stop, wow is that good ! It is just easier to start with something mixed then add it to your PG/VG base. Now if I could just make a banana cream pie as good as Hoosier I will be set :) oh I also mix first in PG/VG in about 5 Mls to experiment that way I don't waste Nic if I don't like it.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
Something I have done to get back to DIY is buy some flavors ready to mix, strawberry short cake & banana cream from Nature flavors and Lemonade cookie from Wizard, I also got Lucky Shot from DIY one stop, wow is that good ! It is just easier to start with something mixed then add it to your PG/VG base. Now if I could just make a banana cream pie as good as Hoosier I will be set :) oh I also mix first in PG/VG in about 5 Mls to experiment that way I don't waste Nic if I don't like it.
And don't overlook base flavors, such as cream/sweetener. They're fine on their own, and it gives something to build off of.

I use a lot of Cap Sweet Cream. It's just fine all by itself, and it's a wonderful starting point. For me, 3-5% is a wonderful platform to layer flavors on. It's just enough to cover the nic taste and is an excellent starting point.

Of course, I prefer cream flavors to begin with, so that's me. When trying a new flavor, I typically start with the flavor on its own at 3-5%, then try it with the cream base and see how it treats me.

I also keep a big bottle (120ml) of 5% cream flavor juice on hand. I usually vape on tanks, so if all else fails, I can drain the tank, fill up with base, and keep vaping.

That's just me, though. Taste is very subjective - I typically prefer about 5% flavoring, and unflavored is rather pleasant on its own. Some prefer 20%+ flavors.

BOOM!

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread