Is there any reason to drop nic levels in a sub ohm tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerpMeetsTF2

Oct 11, 2018
A lot of people have said to me and just in general that if you're using a sub ohm tank you shouldn't go above 6 nic. However ive been using 12 nic and even 18 nic juice for 2 months now in sub ohm tanks up to 100 watts and have been just fine. What's the reason I see people saying you should drop your nic? what am I missing? is higher nic bad for sub ohm coils or something? Not that i'd wanna drop nic even it was but im curious as to why people say that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
In a sub ohm set up, you produce more vapor and that makes it so you inhale a lot more nicotine each hit than you would for a higher ohm set up. So if someone is used to 12mg nic and dont like anything above that in a MTL device, 3-6mg nic will deliver the same amount of nic into their system that they are used to. Also, throat hit can get a bit much for some people in a high nic sub ohm set up.

DerpMeetsTF2

Oct 11, 2018
In a sub ohm set up, you produce more vapor and that makes it so you inhale a lot more nicotine each hit than you would for a higher ohm set up. So if someone is used to 12mg nic and dont like anything above that in a MTL device, 3-6mg nic will deliver the same amount of nic into their system that they are used to. Also, throat hit can get a bit much for some people in a high nic sub ohm set up.
Thats all it is? well it doesn't bother me lol. But im very nicotine tolerant and never havent been, I can smoke an entire pack of cigarettes just one after the other and be fine. To be fair only with lights, but still. If thats the reason people are saying that than its no problem for me, I can handle it just fine.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Personally, and that's all it is, my personal experience, if I use higher than 3mg nic in my .25 dual coil rta at 75 watts, it is to harsh on my throat, makes my lungs feel tight, and I quickly feel over-nicced. But everyone is different. As long as you do it safely and knowledgably, and you are happy with what you are doing, then do it. Be aware though, most other people would hack up a lung using 12mg at 100 watts lol.

DerpMeetsTF2

Oct 11, 2018
Be aware though, most other people would hack up a lung using 12mg at 100 watts lol.
Interesting, I use freemaxs double and triple mesh coils at 80-100 watts depending which coil im using with 12 nic all day no issue. I guess im just used to it? idk. thats probably why a lot of juices dont even go up to 12. Thats always annoyed the hell out of me lol.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
thats probably why a lot of juices dont even go up to 12. Thats always annoyed the hell out of me lol.

My go to set ups are all mechs with .35 ohm coils and 24 mg/ml juice, I couldn’t agree more :thumb:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
What voltage does that pull? I know squat about mechs really, just curious.
Again, there are all types of vapers, lots of different styles.

On a fully charged battery, figuring @4 volts, it’s around 45 watts, give or take, with an 11 amp draw.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
On a fully charged battery, figuring @4 volts, it’s around 45 watts, give or take, with an 11 amp draw.
What's your airflow like? Sounds like it would blow me away with 24mg lol. I'm not into throat hit and I chain vape so that would be way too much nic intake for me. :shock:

Reactions: Letitia

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
What's your airflow like? Sounds like it would blow me away with 24mg lol. I'm not into throat hit and I chain vape so that would be way too much nic intake for me. :shock:

I like a somewhat restricted direct lung draw so it’s pretty open. I’ve got to have throat hit, and without enough nic I’m not real fun to be around :oops:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
People say alot of things and in your case, probably just what a good percentage does, but everyone is different and it's up to the individual to find what works the best for them. Nic isn't going to make the tank break or ruin coils or anything like that, it simply is preference. Sometimes I think, with all the lower nic mentions people give, it makes people scared to go higher which can make them fail or vape more juice. Everyone should experiment with various levels for themselves. If one likes TH and can handle higher nic, I personally think it's better to vape 12mg and 10mls per day then to vape 6mg and 20mls per day. I vape mtl and only 2 to 3mls per day, but vape 24mg , I probably can drop, but this has worked for me and I don't want to increase juice consumption. But alot of folks want to quit vaping and come up with a plan to drop, and if you can drop without vaping more juice that's awesome and brings one closer to being vape free....no plans for me, so I stick to what works. ...good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I can smoke an entire pack of cigarettes just one after the other and be fine. ...

But the thing is, Most people Can't.

And for a Lot of them, Lowering their Nicotine Level avoids that One after Another cigarette feeling they get when they move to Sub-Ohm Hardware.

It's really all Kinda a Larger Percentages approach.

Always use/do what You like Best. But when it comes to Suggestions to Unknown Individuals on an e-Cigarette forum, giving Suggestions that apply to the "Middle of the Pack" is usually a Good Way to go.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread