Is there really Science to steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javamon

Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
I am aware of the tons of previous steep or not threads here, and I have searched for and read some of them. But most that I read just discussed what people do and their observation that it improves the flavor. I haven't seen much explaining the real Science of whether steeping is necessary.

• In most cases, the flavors being used have already lived some life before they were mixed in with PG/VG. [So, does airing the liquid Really matter at that point?]
  • When there is significant PG in the mix, PG should be thin enough to mix well with the flavor very quickly. [Shake and vape.]
  • Only in the case of a predominant or 100% VG mix could I see time and other actions - ultrasonic, etc. - contribute to a better mix.

So, this thread won't be about what some do and whether or not they think it helps. This thread will be about citings of legitimate science/chemistry/physics behind steeping.

Ok, who's first? :)

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
As said, I think it helps. Ordering online, I get the impression that PG & VG is already mixed in big jugs. Most vendors say that they mix to order for freshness. That also eliminates a lot of waste in that if something is mixed, and then doesn't sell, the vendor has no loss. I wouldn't be surprised, though, that some are mixed over the weekend for the next weeks sales.

Anyway, I let the air change and then put the bottles in the queue. I used to taste test upon arrival, but they always seem better after a week or two.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Did you ever have a meal that tastes better the second day? A few that come to mind is spaghetti or a homemade soup. First day they are good, second day Oh Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

The spices used are great to be used right away, but let them sit in a pot and marry...oh my! Much better.

The more complex the liquid, the longer it takes for those flavors to meld and marry and become fantastic!

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I get it. But this scientifically curious mind wants to understand Why? :)

[nothing better than an Italian meal the next day after - eggplant, lasagna. The flavors are So much better the day after. :) ]

Well think of it this way. Different flavors have different size molecules. We shake them to break them apart so they mix better. Also, think of a piece of bread sitting in an egg mixture. If you just dip quickly, the egg only clings to the outside. Let it sit in the mixture and the bread has a chance to soak in the egg.

Similar concept.

johnny madman

Dec 2, 2014
I think some things will only be sorted after time. Think of it like blue cheese, it should all be the same right? Well Roquefort is different then Stilton, if you age Stilton pasted a few weeks it's dead, Roquefort lives on. Dealing with taste is a refined thing that needs time, sooner or later we find the ideals and will have a guide to how long to age x liquid. I think it is all too soon, as a lot of people seem to vape right from the mail, and other age at different time. It also seems that some age longer then others and as a general rule I find this to be true. Just for throwing numbers out there I think 6 to 8 weeks should be a good number for all juice to ago to before tasting except a few exceptions.

I think once the flavor hits the spot we will have a lot of science to refine it, but we must first get to the optimal flavor we like before science can catch up.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Surely it is simple diffusion.

Shaking the mix spreads out the flavour molecules within the bottle, but they will still be in 'pockets' (high flavour molecule concentration areas) due to the different viscosity of the components of the e-liquid. Time and continued shaking allow the flavour molecules to spread out more until the liquid is homogenous and the concentration of flavouring molecules is uniform throughout the liquid.

As with any set of miscible liquids there is always diffusion whilst there is a concentration gradient.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Surely it is simple diffusion.

Shaking the mix spreads out the flavour molecules within the bottle, but they will still be in 'pockets' (high flavour molecule concentration areas) due to the different viscosity of the components of the e-liquid. Time and continued shaking allow the flavour molecules to spread out more until the liquid is homogenous and the concentration of flavouring molecules is uniform throughout the liquid.

As with any set of miscible liquids there is always diffusion whilst there is a concentration gradient.

Now that ^^ is a scientific explanation ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread