Is This a Dumb Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Hey Vapes, hope this ain't not no stupid question (apart from d'English grammar), but is there any way to test coils for Burn Out BEFORE dripping nicQuid into your tank (& also the same question for Cartomizers & mini-tanks for KR-808-D1)? TIA!!

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hey Vapes, hope this ain't not no stupid question (apart from d'English grammar), but is there any way to test Coils for Burn Out BEFORE dripping nicQuid into your tank (& also the same question for Cartomizers & mini-tanks for KR-808-D1)? TIA!!
Burn out how? It's been a while since I used store bought coils, but you could look for the resistance to be off from what they normally are.
Like if you put a new coil in, you can put it on mod with no juice and check the resistance of the coil. You would have to use a mod that shows the resistance on a display of course. I don't even know if a bad coil will normally read a different resistance, but if your coils are normally 0.7-0.8 and your new one is .3 or 1.5 you may have a problem.
I'm just guessing here.

But if it's a thing where the resistance is the same as it normally is but the coil just doesn't work right, that's no help, sorry.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
If the coils not been used then it can't have 'burn out'. If the coil has been used then the user (hopefully you) should know if it's off....
Unless you mean is there any way to tell if a coil will work properly before being used ?
Not really other than checking the resistance.
It's one of the pitfalls of ready-made coils with cotton wicks - the only way to tell if it's ok is to use it.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Which came first, the burnt coil or the burnt taste? I know when my coil tastes burnt, I toss it immediately so there's no confusion.
right, but if you've already dripped it in, it's a waste of nicQuid!! Only premium Halo nicQuid works for me, and Gentleman's Reserve.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
If the coils not been used then it can't have 'burn out'.
Wanna Bet?? This isn't what i mean exactly, but Brand Spankin NEW Smok Nord & generic coils have lotsa duds!!

It's one of the pitfalls of ready-made coils with cotton wicks - the only way to tell if it's ok is to use it.
I get that, but often it's a waste of nicQuid. I got premium Halo nicQuid, & Gentleman's Reserve, & hate wasting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    right, but if you've already dripped it in, it's a waste of nicQuid!! Only premium Halo nicQuid works for me, and Gentleman's Reserve.
    Now, do you mean burnt coil or used coil? A burnt coil is one that will no longer produce a pleasant vape whatsoever, or has had its wick torched from accidentally dry burning it or has had the power ramped way up. A used coil can be used again once the older flavor is either rinsed out or diluted by vaping unflavored juice.

If you are actually dripping, how many drops do you use on average?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    Wanna Bet?? Brand Spankin NEW Smok Nord & generic coils have lotsa duds!!

I get that, but often it's a waste of nicQuid. I got premium Halo nicQuid, & Gentleman's Reserve, & hate wasting it.

So you are only wasting a minimum to see if a drop in coil is a dud you could just prime the drop in coil itself with a few drops of eliquid to test if the coil is working before filling up a tank. Not sure what gear you are using but putting the coil In the base of your tank and screwing it to your mod will give you a reading without firing it. If you get a reading it should be good, not a dud. Just don't fire your mod without eliquid in the coil or it will burn the cotton and kill the coil.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
    Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    If you are actually dripping, how many drops do you use on average?
    So you are only wasting a minimum to see if a drop in coil is a dud you could just prime the drop in coil itself with a few drops of eliquid to test if the coil is working before filling up a tank.
    On my devices, the level of nicQuid must reach a minimum level, around a couple ml.

Just HATE a waste when my preferred nicQuid is such a hassle to procure these days.

If i switch out a dead or burnt coil it wastes a lot even if the tank is 1/4 full.

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    On my devices, the level of nicQuid must reach a minimum level, around a couple ml.

Just HATE a waste when my preferred nicQuid is such a hassle to procure these days.

If i switch out a dead or burnt coil it wastes a lot even if the tank is 1/4 full.

What device are you using please?
    Knowing the device will help other members here using the same device to better help you with these issues so you would not waste eliquid.
    My only experience with burnt coils is when I don't realize I ran out of or very low eliquid in my tank/pod and I fire my device which burns the coil, as most devices will fire the coil without eliquid in it. And you should be able to have a low enough level of eliquid in your tank/pod to switch coils without dumping any eliquid so I'm unfamiliar with this.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
    Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    What device are you using please? Knowing the device will help other members here using the same device to better help you with these issues so you would not waste eliquid.
    I put em all on my SIG file...

Last edited:

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
    Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    The only drawback would be that once you dump the VG and fill it with niquid, the first few hits would be diluted until the VG is worked out of the cotton. Give it a try and let us know!
    TBH i don't mind diluting with VG at all so would never dump it anyway (if the coil is still good that is).

I USED to do this a lot (past tense) for thin nicQuid, but can't tell -- does VG vape all on its own?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread