The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is This a Dumb Question?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by LaZeR, Sep 7, 2021.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. LaZeR

LaZeR Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    Hey Vapes, hope this ain't not no stupid question (apart from d'English grammar), but is there any way to test Coils for Burn Out BEFORE dripping nicQuid into your tank (& also the same question for Cartomizers & mini-tanks for KR-808-D1)? TIA!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    Huh?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Which came first, the burnt coil or the burnt taste? I know when my coil tastes burnt, I toss it immediately so there's no confusion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. uthinkofsomething

uthinkofsomething Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    Burn out how? It's been a while since I used store bought coils, but you could look for the resistance to be off from what they normally are.
    Like if you put a new coil in, you can put it on mod with no juice and check the resistance of the coil. You would have to use a mod that shows the resistance on a display of course. I don't even know if a bad coil will normally read a different resistance, but if your coils are normally 0.7-0.8 and your new one is .3 or 1.5 you may have a problem.
    I'm just guessing here.

But if it's a thing where the resistance is the same as it normally is but the coil just doesn't work right, that's no help, sorry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. SlowTalker

SlowTalker Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ppeeble

ppeeble Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    If the coils not been used then it can't have 'burn out'. If the coil has been used then the user (hopefully you) should know if it's off....
    Unless you mean is there any way to tell if a coil will work properly before being used ?
    Not really other than checking the resistance.
    It's one of the pitfalls of ready-made coils with cotton wicks - the only way to tell if it's ok is to use it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    The answer is YES

Now if ya try to test a dry carto on a provari, it will be burnt!
    Am I stupid enough to have done that?!? Again the answer is yes.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    right, but if you've already dripped it in, it's a waste of nicQuid!! Only premium Halo nicQuid works for me, and Gentleman's Reserve.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    Wanna Bet?? This isn't what i mean exactly, but Brand Spankin NEW Smok Nord & generic coils have lotsa duds!!

I get that, but often it's a waste of nicQuid. I got premium Halo nicQuid, & Gentleman's Reserve, & hate wasting it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Now, do you mean burnt coil or used coil? A burnt coil is one that will no longer produce a pleasant vape whatsoever, or has had its wick torched from accidentally dry burning it or has had the power ramped way up. A used coil can be used again once the older flavor is either rinsed out or diluted by vaping unflavored juice.

If you are actually dripping, how many drops do you use on average?

• Like Like x 1
  11. YoursTruli

YoursTruli Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    So you are only wasting a minimum to see if a drop in coil is a dud you could just prime the drop in coil itself with a few drops of eliquid to test if the coil is working before filling up a tank. Not sure what gear you are using but putting the coil In the base of your tank and screwing it to your mod will give you a reading without firing it. If you get a reading it should be good, not a dud. Just don't fire your mod without eliquid in the coil or it will burn the cotton and kill the coil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    On my devices, the level of nicQuid must reach a minimum level, around a couple ml.

Just HATE a waste when my preferred nicQuid is such a hassle to procure these days.

If i switch out a dead or burnt coil it wastes a lot even if the tank is 1/4 full.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. YoursTruli

YoursTruli Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio

What device are you using please?
    Knowing the device will help other members here using the same device to better help you with these issues so you would not waste eliquid.
    My only experience with burnt coils is when I don't realize I ran out of or very low eliquid in my tank/pod and I fire my device which burns the coil, as most devices will fire the coil without eliquid in it. And you should be able to have a low enough level of eliquid in your tank/pod to switch coils without dumping any eliquid so I'm unfamiliar with this.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Super Member ECF Veteran

You could put VG in it to test fire the coil, and if the coil is good, dump out the VG. It's not that expensive and you can get it at pharmacies and health food stores.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    I put em all on my SIG file...

• Like Like x 2
  16. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    Ya i got VG - good idea - so that works?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ed Brown

The only drawback would be that once you dump the VG and fill it with niquid, the first few hits would be diluted until the VG is worked out of the cotton. Give it a try and let us know!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    TBH i don't mind diluting with VG at all so would never dump it anyway (if the coil is still good that is).

I USED to do this a lot (past tense) for thin nicQuid, but can't tell -- does VG vape all on its own?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Ed Brown

Yes it vapes fine all on it's own. Like someone else mentioned somewhere it has a slight sweet taste to it. If you're worried about it being too thick mix in some pg. Geez, you'll be halfway to DIY!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. LaZeR

Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    btw THANKS for the TIP!! Can test my coils & don't care about wasting VG.

• Like Like x 3