Is upgrading from the N2 to the N2s worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I am in a bit of a Shinyitis quandry - I'm interested in getting another MTL tank but am wavering over getting an N2s or not. I have an original N2 and like it with the 0.7 coils. I know with the N2s they have sorted out the 'technical/practicality issues' associated with the 2 - fiddly top-fill system being the main improvement by the sounds of it. But although it is fiddly that in itself doesn't bother me so much as I'm used to its funny little ways by now...

However, my question is whether the performance is significantly better especially in terms of flavour, or if it's just been improved on the ease of use side of things. I know that this is a YMMV kind of question, but I'm interested in hearing peoples' opinions who have used both.

I have a Zenith and I'm not really interested in a Zlide because I heard apart from the different design they give pretty much exactly the same vape. I just wondered if it's a similar scenario with the N2/N2s.

(What's making me waver even more is the knowledge there's a Zenith II in the works and maybe I should just save my money for now - but I guess that's a whole other discussion!)

Reactions: Nancy D

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
TL;DR: The N2S is easier to work with, but I don't think it radically overhauls the vape. Maybe the new coil does?

The N2S is slightly bigger than the N2, and a little heavier. You get easier, cleaner top fill and slightly more flexible airflow. If you get the non-EU version of the N2S, coil changing is similar to the N2. The EU version makes it more awkward, but you don't lose the liquid. In terms of airflow, I think they both go as tight as each other, but the N2S can probably open up a little more.

For me, the vape is very similar with standard Nautilus coils.

@stols001 did a nice review covering the N2S. If I could just find it…

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I have both, and I'd say na, not really. I don't recall any difference in flavor. The N2 was just too difficult to work with, and for me, the N2s was a bit over engineered. Too much goin on for something so simple.

I ran a couple tanks of juice on it with both coils, and somehow found it lackluster and fiddly. I just stopped using it all together. Just my 2 cents. I know some people really enjoy it.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you- I think we should just wait for the Zenith 2- or god forbid, some other company that gives us a new MTL tank ;)

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Thanks for the answers and the link to the review is perfect, thanks. I probably don't need this tank but knowing me and my tendencies I will end up getting something new I don't need anyway... Does this new mesh coil Anna mentioned work in the old N2 does anyone know? It seems that most of the nautilus coils are interchangeable, which is a good thing...

Curse my shinyitis, honestly...

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think they are interchangeable but I haven't tried it either. I don't think the 0.7 mesh coils work in Kabukis although I may well give it a shot.

I think this mesh coil is about infinity times better than the Zenith mesh, it's actually flavorful and lasts. It would be well worth trying in my opinion I'm sure someone can tell you if the N2 can take them I can't see why not they look the same as any other BVD coil only the wrap on the coil is blue.

I do think the N2S is better than the N2 in a lot of ways. Top fill may be a bit of a fiddle when you are dealing with it but once you get used to it the design is clever. it's never gonna pop open in your pocket.

I will say I was not a fan of the coil changing system in the N2 and the N2S is not much better if you ask me. However, now that my mesh coils are lasting forever I am less exercised about it.

Also, I LOVE love LOVE the N2 long driptip. I'd buy five more if I could find them. And I do think the design far exceeds in elegance the N2, which is not attractive at all. They really did work to make this one look good. After trying it I would buy one, probably.

I think a LOT of the improvement is the coil, if you want to go budget. But the larger size of the N2S also like, leads to less heat build up over time.

I actually would recommend it more than I do in my review after vaping the .7 mesh for a while. That coil doesn't quit.

I did not compare the vape of an N2 to an N2s because the husband has both of mine.

Anna

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
The long drip tips are great but I don't like metal drip tips. The Berserker mini 1.5 has a similar tip in plastic which are also great. I would use them on everything if I could find more or similar. I have just primed a mesh Nautilus coil so I'll see how that goes in the 2s. Very nice tanks that look and feel like more than they cost.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I think they are interchangeable but I haven't tried it either. I don't think the 0.7 mesh coils work in Kabukis although I may well give it a shot.

I think this mesh coil is about infinity times better than the Zenith mesh, it's actually flavorful and lasts. It would be well worth trying in my opinion I'm sure someone can tell you if the N2 can take them I can't see why not they look the same as any other BVD coil only the wrap on the coil is blue.

I do think the N2S is better than the N2 in a lot of ways. Top fill may be a bit of a fiddle when you are dealing with it but once you get used to it the design is clever. it's never gonna pop open in your pocket.

I will say I was not a fan of the coil changing system in the N2 and the N2S is not much better if you ask me. However, now that my mesh coils are lasting forever I am less exercised about it.

Also, I LOVE love LOVE the N2 long driptip. I'd buy five more if I could find them. And I do think the design far exceeds in elegance the N2, which is not attractive at all. They really did work to make this one look good. After trying it I would buy one, probably.

I think a LOT of the improvement is the coil, if you want to go budget. But the larger size of the N2S also like, leads to less heat build up over time.

I actually would recommend it more than I do in my review after vaping the .7 mesh for a while. That coil doesn't quit.

I did not compare the vape of an N2 to an N2s because the husband has both of mine.

Anna

I stocked up on the 0.4 coils recently thinking I'd try them out before I realised there were these new mesh coils available... It's good to know they're better than the zenith plexus ones which I barely get 4 days use out of.

As it happens one of my mods stopped working last night (an innokin coolfire that had a good innings but is now dead as a parrot for no reason I can tell) - so maybe I'll swing by the vape shop and see if there's a starter kit for the N2s which comes with a decent mod. I have convinced myself this is now a necessary purchase, despite having other mods and tanks. Thanks for your advice all

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only kit I have seen comes with a Zelos mod. I can't remember how the upgraded it but I think it's still an internal battery mod.

I had a zelos at one point (also gifted to the husband) and it was fine, well made and light. It's still an internal battery mod.

I think you might be better off mixing and matching.

Anna

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I did mix and match in the end - got the TPD version yesterday, just set it up and used it today. Using the 0.4 coils for the first time on 14w - I'll try it higher when it's been broken in a bit more. it's quite a nice vape, (not judging the flavour just now as it's only been up and running for an hour or so) - but then my go to were always the 0.7, I'm used to slightly higher resistence coils. I'm guessing that those are being phased out in readiness for the mesh ones being released so I'm glad they sound better than Innokin's efforts.

I'm loving the different airflow settings way more than I thought I would - that wasn't even a consideration when I was looking into it but I think it's actually my favourite new feature. I've found opening the DL hole a little bit is nicer than the MTL holes all the way. It's nice to have that versatility. Also, the coil changing mechanism is so much better - it sounds like a rare case of a TPD having a being better feature than a standard version, because it sounds like you were having trouble @stols001 but although the cog system is a little bit fiddly it's much easier to use. The Zenith still wins on what I have recommended to people I know wanting to upgrade from basic stuff though because there's no escaping that tank is about the easiest/foolproof one for people who've never had to change a coil before and are actually put off tanks because changing coils sounds like a daunting hassle

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny so far and can see me retiring the N2 to my spares cupboard, input from this forum helpful as ever :)

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Also, the coil changing mechanism is so much better - it sounds like a rare case of a TPD having a being better feature than a standard version, because it sounds like you were having trouble @stols001 but although the cog system is a little bit fiddly it's much easier to use.

OK, maybe I was a bit full of it there - first vape after firts refill, leaking through the AF everywhere - hadn't screwed coil in tight enough. Big facepalm there... Still, at least I didn't have to waste the juice with the new filling system, every cloud...

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Loose coils have occasionally been an issue on my N2.
Suspect unscrewing the bell sometimes loosens the coil at the same time.
Since both tanks use a common coil, guess I will have to convince myself to buy one.

On the N2 I found that if I screwed the coil into the base as tight as I could, and only screwed the sleeve back on until there was resistence (ie not very tightly) I never had that trouble.

With the N2s TPD the coil change is better but still quite fiddly, but as Anna said in her review since you don't have to change the coil very often I can live with that

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
In my opinion still totally worth it. The N2S is what the N2 should have been to begin with and flavor still better and my 0.7 mesh coil keeps on going, I feel like I should redo my review so Aspire Tina doesn't hate me so much. Sigh, On the tank at least. It really is better.

Anna
Anna, just curious if you have tried the 0.7 on the N2.
I have always used the 1.8.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have tried the regular old 0.7 in my N2 (not the N2S) and it did not do much for me.

I have tried the (new) mesh 0.7 coil also and it is THE BOMB for flavor, I like it a lot,

I have not tried the 0.4 coil that just seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

My favorite coil of them all comes with none of the kits, I think they made it for the original Nautilus or something. It's the 1.6 coil. Fortunately I still like it because I have two kabukis and they won't take the 0.7 or lower to my understanding. I will probably get a backup N2S. I like it that much with that coil,

Anna

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I have tried the regular old 0.7 in my N2 (not the N2S) and it did not do much for me.

I have tried the (new) mesh 0.7 coil also and it is THE BOMB for flavor, I like it a lot,

I have not tried the 0.4 coil that just seemed a bit ridiculous to me.

My favorite coil of them all comes with none of the kits, I think they made it for the original Nautilus or something. It's the 1.6 coil. Fortunately I still like it because I have two kabukis and they won't take the 0.7 or lower to my understanding. I will probably get a backup N2S. I like it that much with that coil,

Anna

Thanks for pointing out the difference in 0.7 coils.
Have to make sure I look for the mesh.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
I'm looking forward to trying the mesh ones too. I always liked the usual 0.7 anyway. You've hyped these mesh ones up now @stols001!

Have a box of the 0.4s which I actually got by accident when stocking up. They're OK but they just cross over the 'too airy' line for me. They do the job but not my preference. (I just love the fact there's so much choice in general these days)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread