Is vaping burning your throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easkone

Feb 26, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm trying to get my gf to quit but she keeps complaining that it burns her throat. She's only using one of my old 650mah ego style batteries with a single bottom coil atti so it can't be the heat. She's also using a menthol 1.8% ejuice but says my fruity juices burn too. I just don't understand how a burning Newport 100 doesn't burn but vaping does. Has anyone else experienced this? Should she maybe try a lower mg/% nicotine juice? Someone please help I really don't want her to start smoking again. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The liquid can have some burny effect as well as the potentially hot-wicking atomizer. I find that if I overdo the menthol (I DIY) it can be a little harsh. Most commercially-available menthols are way too harsh for me.

If you have a really smooth flavor, something fruity perhaps, let her try that on a fresh atty.

JaxMike

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Jacksonville FL
I've always read that menthol's hit a little harder than straight tobacco or candy flavors, so that might be one place to start.

Also, though it took me a while to get used to it, I really don't inhale vape like I did cigarettes... just take it into the mouth, maybe up through the nose for fun...and exhale. Supposedly, though it's counter-intuitive to a smoker, the nicotine is absorbed better that way and it saves some stress on the throat and lungs.

I guess it's also possible that she's got an allergic reaction to PG or VG... but that's just a guess.

That's all I've got (sure you'll get plenty more input). Hope it works out.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
as everyone mentioned menthol is harsh, so it the amount of pg and nic level. When I was vaping 18mg my wife would tear up trying it. She couldn't take anything above 8mg with out nearly sounding and looking like she was dying. She also didn't like high pg juice and found her happy medium at 50/50 pg/vg, try getting her a lower nic juice and lower pg it will help. Also make sure she is drinking plenty of water as vaping will dehydrate and that can be bothersome to the throat as well.

BearArcher1980

Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
United States
I can speak for myself on this one...
When I first started calling I would get the throat burn and so did my wife. After a day of taking it slow we now have no problems with the throat burn.
We use the high 18mg juice from Halo and have the combo packs in menthol and regular tobacco flavors and really enjoy them.
Its been 9 days now and we are never going back to smoking an actual cigarette again!!!
Check out their website as they offer all kinds of options on the liquids in all different flavors and ingredients.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Also, though it took me a while to get used to it, I really don't inhale vape like I did cigarettes... just take it into the mouth, maybe up through the nose for fun...and exhale. Supposedly, though it's counter-intuitive to a smoker, the nicotine is absorbed better that way and it saves some stress on the throat and lungs.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest; if I try vaping as if I'm smoking, hard fast inhale to the lungs, a) not nearly as much nicotine is absorbed, and b) it can irritate, while also not delivering a hell of a lot of flavor -- just kind of a "well, that was nothing" kind of feeling, along with the irritated throat.

If I take a long, slow pull, then very slowly inhale just to let it go up the back of the throat/nose, then let it gently roll out the nose, it gives MUCH more flavor, MUCH more nicotine, a good deal more of a "cloud," and an all-around MUCH better experience -- but it's not terribly easy to learn if you're used to just that fast inhale of smoking, it takes some thought and attention.

Hope that might help,
Andria

PS: Forgot to add -- the reason cigarette smoke doesn't burn is because of additives they put in the tobacco that actually anesthetize the tissues of the mouth, throat, sinuses, and lungs. Those additives are not in e-juice, which makes it more important to inhale it "just so*.

Last edited:

Terrell

Feb 25, 2014
Vancouver, BC
I haven't been doing it too long, but I've found that I'd get the same or similar sensation if I inhaled too much vapor at once too quickly. I recommend shorter relaxed draws, and open the mouth before inhaling, doing so very slowly, almost like taking a normal breath. It's a bit easier to learn than this nose trick people mention (which I've tried and can't seem to do) and really helped me enjoy the experience a lot more.

Kracker

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
NewCastle, DE
I've only been vaping for almost 1 week, and think I'm having the same thing ?

It's not been easy on me either. For me it's more of what I remember smoking a cigarette was like for the first time. I'm getting use to it, but if I haven't vaped for a little while it's like starting all over.

Tell her to try pulling on it like a cigarette.

What I do is inhale until my lungs are almost full, then pull on the PV (or whatever you call it) and inhale just enough to get the vapor in. I see these dudes in these videos taking huge deep pulls, and fogging the room up (which for some reason appeals to me, LoL) it hurts when I try it.

Huckleberried

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Louisville, KY, USA
I was a menthol smoker. Most of the menthol liquids I tried really took some getting used to. I ended up liking spearmint instead. Quickly, I moved on to sweeter flavors. I do like throat hit, but there are some really mild flavors out there. RARELY, do I use any menthol these days. It's great when I have a cold though!

I agree, try a higher VG ratio.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
this nose trick people mention (which I've tried and can't seem to do)

Seriously? When I was a kid, we all thought it was "cool" to blow smoke out our noses; of course in the years since I've figured out that there isn't one thing cool about smoking, but if I start to talk while still exhaling, smoke comes out my nose. It kinda chokes you a little, too, but I'm finding that starting to speak while still exhaling vapor doesn't choke you up that way -- nice! :D

Andria

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
I've only been vaping for almost 1 week, and think I'm having the same thing ?

It's not been easy on me either. For me it's more of what I remember smoking a cigarette was like for the first time. I'm getting use to it, but if I haven't vaped for a little while it's like starting all over.

Tell her to try pulling on it like a cigarette.

What I do is inhale until my lungs are almost full, then pull on the PV (or whatever you call it) and inhale just enough to get the vapor in. I see these dudes in these videos taking huge deep pulls, and fogging the room up (which for some reason appeals to me, LoL) it hurts when I try it.

Do you drag lunginhales ? Like directly to the lungs?
If so, take a slow and steady drag into your mouth and then inhale.
Lungdrags hits quite harshly.

Slow and steady (then you can take long ones aswell) is the key to vaping. You'll get used to it. :)
But if it's still to harsh, it could be that you've to high nicotine level. Or it could be PG intolerance.

Edit:
Funny how ppl mention exhaling through nose is a "trick"
I do that pretty much all the time. :-S
But then again i did that as a smoker aswell. You get lesser "taste" when you're blowing through the nose though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread