Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Hey guys, I can't figure this out and I hope you can help me.

I just received my SS Stealth earlier today and started swapping parts with my SSGGTS. The issue I'm having is that the Stealth Cap will not screw down on my telescope tube. I get about a 1/4 of a turn and then it stops.

I haven't had any issues with my telescope before. It screws in to all GGTS parts with female threads with no problems: the top tube, the connector for the collector tank, and the connector of the UFS. So naturally I suspected that threads on the SS stealth cap are off. However, the stealth cap screws down on the top tube without any problems. It also screws into the telescope tube if I turn the telescope upside down (the side with longer threads). Also, the SS rethreader ring screws in smoothly into all GGTS components with female threads.

So, if I mix-and-match any components with male threads with any components with female threads, everything works and fits beautifully. But the telescope tube will not go into the SS stealth cap. Weird...

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
have you tried thoroughly wiping out the insides of the threads with a stiff cloth?

wonder if there's just some bit of grit in there that's stopping it - happens sometimes with my cap.

Yea, that was the first thing I tried when I noticed the problem. Everything looks good around the threads and they are screwing in nicely with the wrong side of the telescope and the top tube, just not the top side of the telescope... I just don't understand why I'm not having this problem with SS cap and other components with male threads if the problem is with threads on the stealth cap.

Moshmarr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2010
Minneapolis
Just a guess,
The same exact thing happened with the telescope from my #33 SS, the stealth cap will only screw onto the longer threaded end. The cap worked fine everywhere else.
This issue first popped up a few months back. The telescopes and sometimes the top tube/extenders on the original batch of SSGGTS don't fit onto newer parts.
At the time, Imeo sent extras of both these parts to his suppliers to replace them for whomever was having trouble. It sounds like this might be your issue,
but it doesn't look as if you have one of the first 298 or so that had that problem..Did you get #1180 new, Vaporologist?

At any rate, a replacement telescope will very likely solve this. The one I just got from Bruce works great w/ my stealth caps! My original one that came with #33 never did.
Here's one thread I could find regarding this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/230531-275-1307-collection-tank.html

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
If my mind does not lie me, there was a problem with a batch of ss GGTS telescopes and the Stealth cap (brass at that time), Imeo offered to replace the telescopes for free for that specific batch (Identified with a range of serial numbers, there is that info somewhere, maybe in one the Stealth's thread)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Just a guess,
The same exact thing happened with the telescope from my #33 SS, the stealth cap will only screw onto the longer threaded end. The cap worked fine everywhere else.
This issue first popped up a few months back. The telescopes and sometimes the top tube/extenders on the original batch of SSGGTS don't fit onto newer parts.
At the time, Imeo sent extras of both these parts to his suppliers to replace them for whomever was having trouble. It sounds like this might be your issue,
but it doesn't look as if you have one of the first 298 or so that had that problem..Did you get #1180 new, Vaporologist?

At any rate, a replacement telescope will very likely solve this. The one I just got from Bruce works great w/ my stealth caps! My original one that came with #33 never did.
Here's one thread I could find regarding this: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/230531-275-1307-collection-tank.html

You were faster than me :laugh:

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Thank you both for your advice guys!

@Moshmarr... I acquired my #1180 through a trade in the classifieds. The buyer bought it brand new from Bruce and owned it for just a few days. The threads between the bottom part of the telescope and the bottom engraved tube had very loose tolerances and there was way too much wobble and play between them. After contacting Bruce, he asked me to ship him my unit for inspection and he actually ended up replacing the telescope (What a guy!).

So, it sounds like I need to purchase another SS telescope tube, right?

Thanks guys!

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Don't know if this was already suggested but you could flip your telescope around and put it together. It works on my #111 with the stealth cap.

Thanks for the suggestion buddy... Yea, I already tried that and it definitely worked. But I didn't like the way it looked so much with telescope threads coming all the way to the bottom edge of the stealth cap... Picky, aren't I? :)

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Thanks for the suggestion buddy... Yea, I already tried that and it definitely worked. But I didn't like the way it looked so much with telescope threads coming all the way to the bottom edge of the stealth cap... Picky, aren't I? :)

No you aren't being picky Vapor. You are only asking that your items work as they were designed to work. As already mentioned, the first run of SS GGTS (001-298) had a thread variation on the top of the telescope that made it incompatible with products made after that.

Imeo made new telescopes for the ones who were wanting to use their first run SS GGTS from that vintage to function properly with the Stealth Cap and later the UFSv2. For some inexplicable reason when your tube was replaced the first time, you obviously were inadvertently sent a telescope from that first run.

Those should not even be in the distribution channel as Imeo made a provision for the ones needing new telescopes to keep their defective ones. Regardless, you seem to have gotten one and it certainly is not Imeo's fault as he made providsions as explained.

Please recontact Bruce for a proper replacement. I suggest PM rather than email as he will get it more quickly here. I am sorry for your troubles but rest assured the problem will be rectified. :)

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Thank you Major!

I am definitely not suggesting that this is anyone's fault... It is what it is. I only made this thread to get some advice from those who know more than I do since I still consider myself a GG noob :) I like presenting my problems to those who have the ability to help me solve them and this place is loaded with experts who are always willing to help! :thumb:

I sent Bruce a PM earlier and I'm sure he will do whatever he can to help as he always has in the past.

Thanks.

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
Agree 100% guys. I do apologize if it seemed anything else but the idea that a warranty replacement may have been done with another returned part is frustrating. I know Vapor is the one having to deal with it but it is still frustrating to see happen.

If that isn't the case, apologies in bold caps all the way around. :D

Hrathor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Canton, MI
I know someone else was having a problem with the threading on their SS cap, too. In this instance it was the atty connector. They could only get one 510 out of 10 to thread. Stuff like this happens, it's the CS response that matters. I'm sure Bruce and Imeo will step up and make everything right.

Yeah. All I did was pack it with vaseline and scrub it out with a nylon brush. There were some slight burrs on the threads. When I wiped off the vaseline you could see some fine steel shavings in it. Really I was just being over cautious I think.

Sent from my rooted Evo using Tapatalk

rwechsler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The SS threads are a little bit different than the brass stealth cap, like you cant screw the SS connection onto the brass cap and vice versa, but I haven't had any issues screwing mine onto my telescope. Only issue i've had with it so far is that i need to stack a few battery spacers to use 18490 batteries and maintain the flush looks :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread