Istick30 almost caught fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
This IS not entirely correct. device charging circuits can be damaged if they do not get their required current ftom the usb device providing that current.
Would like to see a source for this. Usb charging has been fully standardized since 2007. If it is usb, undercurrent is in no way dammaging. Your reference is correct applying to other kinds of electrical circuits, but not usb charging.

If a usb charger or device is UL certified since 2007, no dammage will occur except from internal failure of some sort.

Last edited:

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
I would suspect the Micro USB connector inside the Istick is to blame for the incident. I took apart an Istick that wouldn't charge and sure enough the Micro USB connector was the culprit.

Micro USB has been a weak point of every device that uses it. Talk to cell phone repair shops and they'll tell you the same thing.

I'm not a fan of apple but look at the Iphone 5 & 6 charging cable, they got it right.

Adding to what others have said about safety, make sure when you plug the charging cable into the Istick that you dont force it in and make sure you see the charge indicator come on, don't just plug it in and walk away.

By the way a GFCI is there to prevent you from receiving a shock and it would have tripped if there was a short to ground in the adapter but it wouldn't detect problems on the output side of the adapter so it wouldn't have done anything to prevent what happened.

rockmissjess

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Prescott, AZ
check out all these i found
4c83a1f0_l.jpeg
9IiVR
472787e6_l.jpeg
484abf82_l.jpeg
5eac7647_o.jpeg
a914cf39_l.jpeg

Reactions: ENAUD

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I use a Nokia phone charger on my Istick 30w, output specs: DC 5V, 550mA and never had any problems, it never feels warm when charging.

Did we ever find out the specs of the phone charger Kieferz was using? Would be interesting and helpful in avoiding other such cases!

It is very unlikely that the phone charger was at fault. More likely the charge regulating circuit of the istick failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread