Status
Not open for further replies.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Two REO Mondays in a row? How often does that happen?? That's gotta be like a one in a million (divided by 250,000) occurrence!

The Nickel Mini arrived today :D

I know I've just visited REOville for the first time less than two weeks ago, and I've only had my Grand for exactly 7 days now but this Nickel Mini is kinda special to me already. It is a testament, to me, of the sincerity of the REO community. Before I bought my first REO I made a few posts in The Lounge thread and mentioned the Nickel REO's I had come across and how stunning I thought they were. I learned they were a limited single run. I am not a unicorn hunter, at all, so I amiably resigned myself to admiring them in photos only.

I got an unexpected pm from a REOnaut a few days ago, advising me there was a Nickel Mini in the classies. I was truly touched that this person thought of me and gave me the heads up that would land one of these beautiful items in my possession one week after settling down in REOville. I'm not sure if I should thank this person in post or not, wouldn't want any feelings getting hurt or anything if there are other folks who were on the hunt for a Nickel :/, but you know who you are and I thank you :)

So, to the goods :D

The unit is in fair condition. It is fairly scuffed which is ok with me. It looks used more so than abused. There is a bit of gnarly damage which appears to be an attempt to disassemble it without the proper tools. I wanted to get my hands on it before I decided whether to try and breathe new life into this REO myself or see if the master might be willing to work some of his magic. I feel very capable of servicing this unit but without any experience I don't want to make things any worse than they might be if the learning curve is any steeper than it looks. I am REALLY hoping the threads that the switch housing screw go into aren't damaged. I'll be giving it a good bath but until I hear back from Rob that's as far as I'm going with it.

Aside from the scuffs from use there are a couple nicks just left of the door. Not too bad.

Overall I am absolutely tickled with it. I have no idea what to put on it but have plenty of time to figure it out. I'd like to find some kind of tiny super short bf carto style atty, rebuildable of course. I'll probably just go with some LR cartos in the meantime (suggestions, please!)

Long term I'm thinking I might have to put together some kind of jasl90/pdib inspired microgen.
Anyone have experience with the Diver? Is it worth the price?
I also think the Killer 705 is dead sexy (no interest at all in the clone), would it even work on this mod?

20130715_131343.jpg

20130715_131409.jpg

20130715_131734.jpg

Finish around the connector is pretty gnarly :(
Fortunately it's not out in plain sight and I hope whatever atty I end up using will cover it.
Quite a letdown to discover.

20130715_131633.jpg

20130715_131939.jpg

20130715_131959.jpg

Last edited:

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
How cool is that! Way to go!

I'm pretty sure Rob is able to mill down RM2s to fit minis if you ask him nicely. :) I know hornets fit - it's what I use. Had them before RM2 was out.
Surface is a great atty as well, fits the mini perfectly. I bought one from Pietro on here, best money I've spent on an atty
Frank

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Adorable! I love the original little Minis. Little "character marks" are to be expected on a well-used REO. Would be neat if it could talk....oh, the tales it could tell. I'm sure it will be well-loved in it's new home. Congratulations.

Rob has milled down a couple of RM2s for me for my 14500 Minis....just mention it when you order.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
How cool is that! Way to go!

I'm pretty sure Rob is able to mill down RM2s to fit minis if you ask him nicely. :) I know hornets fit - it's what I use. Had them before RM2 was out.

Wow, that would be perfect!

Surface is a great atty as well, fits the mini perfectly. I bought one from Pietro on here, best money I've spent on an atty
Frank

Huh.. somehow I missed that one the few times I have looked through the compatible ATTYs chart.. that's REALLY nice looking!

I was thinking tiny carto shape strictly because I didn't think many other options were possible with the Mini drip cup size (hehe, I said cup size)

If Rob would be willing to fit an RM2 for this I would be over the moon.. that, to me, would be absolutely ideal :)

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Wow, that would be perfect!

Huh.. somehow I missed that one the few times I have looked through the compatible ATTYs chart.. that's REALLY nice looking!

I was thinking tiny carto shape strictly because I didn't think many other options were possible with the Mini drip cup size (hehe, I said cup size)

If Rob would be willing to fit an RM2 for this I would be over the moon.. that, to me, would be absolutely ideal :)
Just send him a message and talk with him...he's been offering to mill it down to fit the minis. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Just send him a message and talk with him...he's been offering to mill it down to fit the minis. :)

Congrats stats !
I got a chance to see / fondle / vape an original mini with an RM2 milled by Rob. It was a sweet piece.

The surface / killers are different - in that they use NR / R wire and don't have posts. They're tiny. Those who have em - I know Alice and Blix do, report favorably on them though.

I'd definitely get the RM2 milled.

Glad your here and looks like you've set up camp and are ordering materials to construct a residence in REOville.

I'm the duchebag with the dirtbikes a few lots down who is cranking the "meet me in St. Louis" (thanks pdib) out there washing my truck with no shirt on in the front yard :)

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Alright so I couldn't help myself.. and now I have a question..

I put my RM2 on the Mini and.. it fit.

It sticks up a bit more than it does on the Grand so I am curious what milling it for the Mini entails. Does he start with an new one (I think Rob doesn't create the attys but rather modifies one to become the Reomizer, no?) and just not take as much off as he would for a Grand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread