iTaste MVP 2.0 - Information thread. (Read if you own one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
3yzy9ydy.jpg

I got a single coil at 1.1 pushing 3.9 volts is that okay ? It vapes great :) is this safe though ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.1ohms? Oh, hell yeah. As far as I know you're right on the money safety-wise.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
3yzy9ydy.jpg

I got a single coil at 1.1 pushing 3.9 volts is that okay ? It vapes great :) is this safe though ?

Guys, thats the beauty of a regulated mod. You don't have to worry about what is "safe".

The mod is going to limit you.

Even though you are set to 3.9 volts, the mod is actually firing your head at about 3.4 volts.

The mod calculates your wattage and if your settings calculate to greater than 11 watts, then it regulates down to provide no more than 11 watts.

Once the mod regulates down to 3.3 volts, it's minimum voltage, then it will only fire at 3.3 volts until your amp limit is reached at which point it won't fire.

So technically your safe. But you're not pushing 3.9 volts either.

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
Guys, thats the beauty of a regulated mod. You don't have to worry about what is "safe".

The mod is going to limit you.

Even though you are set to 3.9 volts, the mod is actually firing your head at about 3.4 volts.

The mod calculates your wattage and if your settings calculate to greater than 11 watts, then it regulates down to provide no more than 11 watts.

Once the mod regulates down to 3.3 volts, it's minimum voltage, then it will only fire at 3.3 volts until your amp limit is reached at which point it won't fire.

So technically your safe. But you're not pushing 3.9 volts either.

Yes, but I still think that it's prudent to err on the side of caution every time. Nothing is 100% safe 100% of the time. Even if it's something common sense like not using it underwater, that'd still be an unsafe practice.

That said, I get what you mean. 99.9% of the time, under normal operating circumstances, it will be completely safe.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Well, you aren't doing the battery any favors. A 1.1 coil at 3.4 volts is still pulling close to 3 amps. The device was designed for the 1.5 to 3 ohm coil range. Anything lower than 1.5 ohms and you begin to hit the limits of the device and you don't have it's full range of settings to work with.

For example with a 1 ohm coil or less, it will fire 3.3 volts and nothing more. You are getting no benefit from the ability to adjust the device because it is simply firing your coil at it's minimum voltage. Sure it hits great because you're pushing more than 10 or more watts at the coil, but if you have some juices that burn at 10 watts, then you are going to get burnt juice.

If you are doing coil builds, I definitely would suggest going higher ohms on your coils to take full advantage of the device.

I use my Kayfuns on the MVP all the time and wrap them right at around 2.2 ohms. This ensures I can use the full wattage range and not cook my juice.

YMMV

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I'm not disagreeing, I was merely commenting on the safety issue that was addressed. Sub-ohming doesn't do much for me anyway.

Oh, I know. It's just that the MVP is a weird beast. Instead of just not firing low loads, it simply fires them a 3.3 volts until the 3.5 amp limiter kicks in. Thus people think that they are getting full functionality from the unit.

But like you mentioned. From a safety stand point the mod is going to regulate itself so it won't over stress the battery.

Almost every battery accident occurs in an actual mod, usually occurs in an unregulated mod. There have been some regulated mod venting events, but thats usually due to bad design of the mod or physical damage that occurred which caused an internal short.

rith

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Well, you aren't doing the battery any favors. A 1.1 coil at 3.4 volts is still pulling close to 3 amps. The device was designed for the 1.5 to 3 ohm coil range. Anything lower than 1.5 ohms and you begin to hit the limits of the device and you don't have it's full range of settings to work with.

For example with a 1 ohm coil or less, it will fire 3.3 volts and nothing more. You are getting no benefit from the ability to adjust the device because it is simply firing your coil at it's minimum voltage. Sure it hits great because you're pushing more than 10 or more watts at the coil, but if you have some juices that burn at 10 watts, then you are going to get burnt juice.

If you are doing coil builds, I definitely would suggest going higher ohms on your coils to take full advantage of the device.

I use my Kayfuns on the MVP all the time and wrap them right at around 2.2 ohms. This ensures I can use the full wattage range and not cook my juice.

YMMV

Umm at 1.1 ohm and with 3.9 volts I get not burnt taste and the flavor is freakin amazing literally the one of the beat I've had in awhile. I'm using a single coil silica wicK on a revolution r1. ....have you even heard of that and your still not really answering my question,is it safe to use the 1.1 ohms with 3.9 volts.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com

I don't think this is true. If I put a 1.2 ohm coil on my MVP and set it to 11 watts, it will fire that coil at around 3.6 volts to hit that 11 watt setting.

If I then switch over to VV mode and set it to 5.0 volts, it of course won't fire at 5.0 volts, but it is obvious from the sound alone that it is firing at more than 3.6 volts (i.e. more than 11 watts). I'll try to verify this with a multimeter when I get a chance, but it is very easy to tell just by the noticeably hotter vape and louder sound that you can go higher than 11 watts with a low-resistance atomizer in VV mode.

This is definitely not true. A 0.94 ohm coil will hit the 3.5 amp limit, but it will still fire all the way down to 0.8 ohms. At 0.8 ohms, it needs to fire at 2.8 volts in order to stay below 3.5 amps, so it is certainly possible for the electronics to drop the voltage below the minimum user-settable voltage.

Basically, I don't think the limits for voltage and wattage that the user can set (3.3 - 5.0 volts, 6.0 - 11.0 watts) are the physical limits of the device itself. With the right coil resistance and settings, the MVP is capable of firing outside the limits of its user interface, until of course the actual 3.5 amp limit is reached.

Vappers

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
United States
Umm at 1.1 ohm and with 3.9 volts I get not burnt taste and the flavor is freakin amazing literally the one of the beat I've had in awhile. I'm using a single coil silica wicK on a revolution r1. ....have you even heard of that and your still not really answering my question,is it safe to use the 1.1 ohms with 3.9 volts.

Yes. Anyything you put on the MVP 2.0 IS SAFE.

The mod will SIMPLY NOT FIRE if its too low.

:)

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I don't think this is true. If I put a 1.2 ohm coil on my MVP and set it to 11 watts, it will fire that coil at around 3.6 volts to hit that 11 watt setting.

If I then switch over to VV mode and set it to 5.0 volts, it of course won't fire at 5.0 volts, but it is obvious from the sound alone that it is firing at more than 3.6 volts (i.e. more than 11 watts). I'll try to verify this with a multimeter when I get a chance, but it is very easy to tell just by the noticeably hotter vape and louder sound that you can go higher than 11 watts with a low-resistance atomizer in VV mode.

This is definitely not true. A 0.94 ohm coil will hit the 3.5 amp limit, but it will still fire all the way down to 0.8 ohms. At 0.8 ohms, it needs to fire at 2.8 volts in order to stay below 3.5 amps, so it is certainly possible for the electronics to drop the voltage below the minimum user-settable voltage.

Basically, I don't think the limits for voltage and wattage that the user can set (3.3 - 5.0 volts, 6.0 - 11.0 watts) are the physical limits of the device itself. With the right coil resistance and settings, the MVP is capable of firing outside the limits of its user interface, until of course the actual 3.5 amp limit is reached.

I am going by the graphs that pbusardo plotted in his reviews. His numbers are in line with what I said. If you have put this on a o scope then that's cool.

I'm only going over the observed data in the pbusardo review. The limits that pbusardo shows in VV mode shows a 1.0 coil not firing over 3.3 volts and also shows it firing way over 6.0 watts.

The limits in the pbusardo review are certainly not amp limits, so if you have a better explanation of the numbers, I'd be willing to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread