Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's different than a mech. Once set up, you start a puff and it's at your set temp and remains that way throughout the draw, whether for 2 seconds or a long 6 second draw. Whereas in a mech or even a regulated variable wattage mod the longer you hold the fire button the hotter the vape will get. It all comes down to preference.

However, the Jac can work well in both temp control or plain old variable wattage mode if temp control isn't your thing. Of course another question is what are you going to use for a tank. Are you planning to drip or use an RTA?

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
It's different than a mech. Once set up, you start a puff and it's at your set temp and remains that way throughout the draw, whether for 2 seconds or a long 6 second draw. Whereas in a mech or even a regulated variable wattage mod the longer you hold the fire button the hotter the vape will get. It all comes down to preference.

However, the Jac can work well in both temp control or plain old variable wattage mode if temp control isn't your thing. Of course another question is what are you going to use for a tank. Are you planning to drip or use an RTA?
I mostly use RTAs, but I do have 2 RDAs I use once in a while. I think a 75$ investment is worth finding out about playing with TC. Do people use TC with RDAs? Or is it mostly RTAs?

Reactions: Eskie

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Do people use TC with RDAs? Or is it mostly RTAs?
Both I would think. TC requires the use of specific wire types. I wasn't that impressed with TC myself, so I don't use it nor remember which wire it uses. I think TC uses nickle, and you can use stainless steel for both TC and wattage.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
Both I would think. TC requires the use of specific wire types. I wasn't that impressed with TC myself, so I don't use it nor remember which wire it uses.
That, I knew. I've still got a lifetime supply of kanthal, but I'm willing to invest in nichrome, SS, etc. I suppose if TC wasn't for me, it wouldn't be a waste. I've always read DNA chips are top tier.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    That, I knew. I've still got a lifetime supply of kanthal, but I'm willing to invest in nichrome, SS, etc. I suppose if TC wasn't for me, it wouldn't be a waste. I've always read DNA chips are top tier.
    Just to let you know, nichrome cannot be used in TC, only Ni200, SS, titanium

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Even though I don't use TC on my JAC, I've been quite impressed with the DNA chip. I swear I get better battery efficiency with the DNA. And its arguably a "smoother" vape.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Drippers are fine. Just go with SS for your wire. Inexpensive, easy to work with, unlike Ni and Ti can be used in both TC and wattage (if TC isn't for you no need to waste the wire), and can be lightly dry burned and cleaned up in between wickings ( you can't really safely dry burn Ni it Ti).

Yes, the Jac is a single 18650 up to 75W so if you're into higher wattage vaping, or are a heavy vaper going through lots of juice a day a dual battery setup makes more sense. So it's a question of vape style. When it comes to TC, the DNA boards are at the top of the pyramid along with Yihi and Dicodes.

• Agree
    Reactions: Baditude

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Drippers are fine. Just go with SS for your wire. Inexpensive, easy to work with, unlike Ni and Ti can be used in both TC and wattage (if TC isn't for you no need to waste the wire), and can be lightly dry burned and cleaned up in between wickings ( you can't really safely dry burn Ni it Ti).

Yes, the Jac is a single 18650 up to 75W so if you're into higher wattage vaping, or are a heavy vaper going through lots of juice a day a dual battery setup makes more sense. So it's a question of vape style. When it comes to TC, the DNA boards are at the top of the pyramid along with Yihi and Dicodes.
    I primarily tootle puff on my RTA @ 1.1 ohms, so a single battery up to 75W would be more than plenty. I wouldn't even go anywhere close to 75w on my RTA. Vaping sub-ohm on my RDAs, I could probably get more than plenty with 75W, or just use them with my mechs. But the DB would give me ample wattage to blow clouds. Can I use TC with any RTA, provided I use the correct wire? Maybe I use the Jac with the RTA, and use my mechs with RDAs on occasion. I'm kind of thinking, either choice would be satisfactory. What's the life expectancy of the DNA chips, or the chip on the DB? Can these be repaired, if necessary, by the manufacturer or 3rd parties?

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    2 very different mods. One is single 18650 with an Evolv Chip. The other uses two 18650s and has twice the output.

Since I vape at 8-12W and use TC, the Jac Vapour is the winner for me. Plus the DB's wattage adjuster on the fire button would aggravate me when it accidentally gets turned when pressing fire.
    That would aggravate me too, but the mod does look awesome IMO. Being a solid mod, and the looks are a selling point for me. But little details like that are good to know, and somewhat crucial for something that would probably be a daily driver.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Evolv offers a one year warranty on the board. They not uncommonly even cover repairing mods where the original vendor or manufacturer won't. Life span? Who knows. My oldest DNAs are now over 3 years old and working just fine. The failure rate on the boards is quite low, and stuff like a 510 going bad or a bad solder job coming loose are more common causes of failures. Like anything, failures DO occur, but Evolv is very good about standing behind their products.

DB I have no idea as far as long term reliability or customer service if warranty work is required, but I'm sure someone with direct experience with that will pipe in.

Edit: To give you an idea about what kind of company Evolv is, check this thread regarding their new DNA Go board used in the Lost Vape Orion pod system. About Orions that stop responding .

They recognize the problem, explain the defect (BTW this is a brand new product, not like the DNA boards we're talking about in the Jac or other DNA based mods), explain the solution, AND extend their warranty coverage period for this potential issue. They also tell you just how many devices are affected out of the total numbers produced to date. Not a lot of companies in general, never mind mod manufactures, offer that sort of approach to CS.

The only other mod manufacturer I'd consider on the same level, and the devices they make themselves of superb quality, is Dicodes, made in Germany, which are fairly expensive mods compared to most DNA based mods out there. I believe they also offer something like a 3 year warranty on their mods (any Dicodes users out there, please correct me if that statement is wrong). But their price point is well above something like the Jac.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread