Janty battery HAZMAT categorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
I asked Jeff @ Janty to send me a replacement battery for my mini-fogger recently, and he was extremely swift to respond he would ship one right out. I was getting impatient after 8 days, and Jeff told me it had been shipped on the 24th, and it was very odd for it to be taking so long. Today it arrived, decorated with a great BIG label stating "HAZMAT Designated Surface Only" 8-o. I think it may have gotten some extra attention, thus the delay.

Could it be that some suppliers are starting to be identified as shipping nicotine via the USPS and are being "red-flagged"? My shipment was the battery ONLY (no liquids or carts) so I'm curious why the HAZMAT label? Has anyone seen anything similar? Maybe this is standard procedure for batteries (I've never seen it before) that are detected in the mail? Thre were no accompanying legal notices, etc. so I'm not terribly worried about it, more curious.

I'm glad it got here, and I'm sure Jeff did all he could for speedy delivery. At any rate, I don't believe I'll be able to recieve things like this at my work anymore as they get nervous when stuff like that comes through the door...

FWIW, my order from Hong Kong got here today as well. Cleared customs no prob, and no decorations even though there were 4 batteries and a bunch or carts in it. I was a bit nervous as I had to pick it up at the post office, and the penalty for knowingly shipping a hazardous substance via USPS is $250-$100,000.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
It might not be a good idea to let anything e-cig related be delivered to your work-address. Of course I don't know how it is in the US... but I know for my country (so, I suppose, for whole of europe) ALL parcels that are being sent to company's are being checked in customs (other then when the address is just a house-address - then it's luck-of-the-draw).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread