Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I agree that the shipping is too high. Items could be thrown in a large flat rate priority box for less than that amount, with no cost to Janty for the box itself since the Post Office provides that for free.

The PayPal fee is likewise not so great. But at least with the $6 PayPal fee, you get $5 worth of carts in return if you've spent a certain amount of money.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Just to add, the shipping time is horrible.
Been waiting going on 2 weeks now.

Wow . . . that's not been my experience at all. My stuff has always been shipped quite promptly. Have you contacted Jeff? I know that the Dura is out of stock and only available as a pre-order right now (as noted on the website), but I don't think that was the case two weeks ago.

You should definitely contact Jeff and see what's going on. I know that with some methods of PayPal, there might be a delay in clearing the payment, but even so, two weeks sounds too long to me.

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
Hi all, I was goingto buy a Dura but stopped when I saw the shipping cost. Is it just me or is 12.00 plus 6.00 handling a bit...uh, steep!? I sell alot online as well (not e-cigs) so I'm very familiar with the cost of shipping, and this feel like gouging to me. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I agree 100% I ran an online business for a while and still sell tons of things through ebay...18 bucks for shipping and handling? Those priority boxes and flat rate envelopes are the way to go for fast shipping...that is price gouging for s&h at its very best.

From USPS site

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope $4.95 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"
Priority Mail Small Flat-Rate Box $4.95 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"
Priority Mail Regular Flat-Rate Box (FRB1) $10.35 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"
Priority Mail Regular Flat-Rate Box (FRB2) $10.35 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"
Priority Mail Large Flat-Rate Box (Domestic Addresses) $13.95 12-1/4" x 12-1/4" x 6"

Beequeen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2009
Honolulu
www.flickr.com
Thanks guys! Ok, I'm not alone in thinking that the shipping is just nuts. I have no problem paying a bit more for a great piece of equipment, but getting screwed over with shipping is just a deal breaker for me :nah:. And yes, he could ship priority with those flat rate boxes that are FREE. I mean, God forbid I should ever have to order spare parts down the road...I'd get gouged over and over again!

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
Thanks guys! Ok, I'm not alone in thinking that the shipping is just nuts. I have no problem paying a bit more for a great piece of equipment, but getting screwed over with shipping is just a deal breaker for me :nah:. And yes, he could ship priority with those flat rate boxes that are FREE. I mean, God forbid I should ever have to order spare parts down the road...I'd get gouged over and over again!

Having re-read Janty's shipping it says:

USPS Priority Mail:

Each complete new unit or Cartridge Boxes (over 5): $12.00
Individual Cartridge Boxes (up to 5) and other Accessories: $6.00

So I assume shipping on new units and cartridge boxes is only 12 bucks and then if you order accessories it is only 6 bucks.

That is a LOT more reasonable and means they are probably only charging around a buck for handling if they even charge that because they might be insuring the packages.

So it isn't 18 bucks per order really, it is 12 bucks OR 6 bucks, not both.

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
Plus your $6 paypal handling fee... :nah:

Yeah...the $6 paypal handling fee is because paypal charges a fee to process the transactions (a really high fee) so to make any profit at all they need to pass that onto the customers.

Now they should have a cheaper payment method than Paypal...there are some that only charge around 35 cents a transaction...Paypal sucks for businesses...they should look into chase paymentech instead ;)

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
Actually Janty is THE only supplier I know of who charges the customer an extra PayPal handling fee. Almost every Supplier I know of uses PayPal however.

PayPal does charge fees, if you have a business acct with them, but it does not cost anywhere even close to $6 per transaction..

Yeah, I'm assuming they charge $6 to make a bit of a profit...I agree that they should just remove the fee altogether and adjust their prices on items instead if they are having trouble making a profit (which I don't think they are judged on how they charge people).

Say you order $100 worth of product from Janty, they are charged about $3.20 IF they sell less than 3k a month...I assume they sell more than that so their fees are lower.

Paypal Business Fees:
Monthly sales Price per transaction
$0.00 USD - $3,000.00 USD 2.9% + $0.30 USD
$3,000.01 USD - $10,000.00 USD 2.5% + $0.30 USD
$10,000.01 USD - $100,000.00 USD 2.2% + $0.30 USD
> $100,000.00 USD 1.9% + $0.30 USD

But like I said they could just set something up with a payment gateway so they wouldn't lose any money except a .35 transaction fee or so.

I agree it is steep, but it could be worse...

Where you really get screwed is if you make small orders with Janty, then you are really paying out the ......if you make large orders then you aren't getting screwed that much. :D

Either way I've already decided to buy from puresmoker lol

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Actually Janty is THE only supplier I know of who charges the customer an extra PayPal handling fee. Almost every Supplier I know of uses PayPal however.

PayPal does charge fees, if you have a business acct with them, but it does not cost anywhere even close to $6 per transaction..

Sorry, but I have to concur that Janty sure looks like they are squeezing every penny and nickle and dimeing us here. I ordered the Dura -- hope it was worth it--But I will try to keep an open mind if the product lives up to all the hipe--other wise Janty is going to get the big thumbs down in my book--We will see Sun:confused:

Beequeen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2009
Honolulu
www.flickr.com
I'm pretty sure that paypal is still cheaper than processing payments through credit card companies alone. I don't know...I was all ready to jump on that Dura but that nickling and dimeing really bugs. It smacks too much of unscrupulous ebay sellers who slam you with ridiculous shipping (who I avoid like the plague). From what I've read, Jeff is a great guy to deal with. If he ever decides to make his shipping more reasonable, then I'll buy from him ;-). In the meantime, maybe I'll check out the Yeti- I think I read somewhere that it is very similar to the Dura.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I'm pretty sure that paypal is still cheaper than processing payments through credit card companies alone. I don't know...I was all ready to jump on that Dura but that nickling and dimeing really bugs. It smacks too much of unscrupulous ebay sellers who slam you with ridiculous shipping (who I avoid like the plague). From what I've read, Jeff is a great guy to deal with. If he ever decides to make his shipping more reasonable, then I'll buy from him ;-). In the meantime, maybe I'll check out the Yeti- I think I read somewhere that it is very similar to the Dura.

BeeQueen--you are spot on about it--the reason I ponyed up was for the new metal charger carrying case as it looks like a practical advent in the e-cig world. The passthough is great--but when your out and about I find myself wanting to use the battery more and more--So we will see--I will post after I receive and use it for a bit--Sun:)

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure that paypal is still cheaper than processing payments through credit card companies alone.

That's completely wrong. Trust me...I've run some businesses online before. Going directly with a payment gateway and processor like paymentech is a LOT cheaper...its not even comparable...there are plenty of companies that don't charge a percent of transaction and just charge a small fee for the transaction alone no matter the amount.

With paypal you are paying .30 + a percentage of whatever you sell.

With a different gateway you are paying like .35 and NO percentage of what you sell.

Last edited:

Beequeen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2009
Honolulu
www.flickr.com
Sun Vaporer, I look forward to your review! I wholeheartedly agree with you about that carrying case/charger- it looks off the hook. I was looking into getting a portable battery pack, maybe an APC. Also, Jane at ecigsales has this little doohickey on her site that will charge your cig 5 times without being hooked into anything else. The only problem is, it won't fit any of my models!

cetke, thanks! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled, for sure ;-).

GoldenP51, I meant going directly through credit card companies like Visa, etc. They take a percentage of what's sold on top of the fee, right? But I sell from my website and on ebay and the vast majority of my customers use paypal. So between ebay and paypal, I pay pretty hefty fees! I would never make my customers pay my paypal fees, though. To me, that's just the cost of doing business. ebay brings me alot of traffic, which translates to lots of sales. It allows me to make a living as an artist. A necessary evil, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread