• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

January Meetup Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Seems there is a small problemo... There's been a falling out between Chad and John, and if we (continue to) go to Hazelwood's Chad won't be going. Sometimes John shows, most times not. He doesn't usually have liquids or attys, but has kits, eGo stuff, etc. I haven't talked to John yet (spoke with Chad yesterday).

John/PHXSmokeless is part of the Hazelwood's group for those that don't know the history behind where we meet up. Chad is his own company/competition.

Yikes.

What would you all want to do?

1) Have it anyway (no supplier at the meeting if John doesn't go)
2) Skip January and find a new place to meet each month so there isn't any vested interest by any supplier? Find somewhere by February.
3) Try somewhere new for January (any ideas??? MUST have permission to vape there, preferably INDOORS). Ideas include hotel (most have unused banquet rooms, meeting rooms, etc. and would probably love to have a bunch of people order food/drinks), bars, restaurants (some have banquet rooms unused), etc.

The only places I know of are wayyy out here (WestSide!!) in Surprise.

Any ideas for somewhere else is appreciated. Perhaps we can do a poll? Dunno... Discuss here please!

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yeah, I agree Bob. I'm rather partial to "the kid" myself. I'll see what is up with John this week (will call him)... I'll get back to you all about it. We may have to meet there for just January and move when we find a place? Sighhhh....

Get your thinking caps on people! It'd be nice to have a new place for January.

Catwhisperer

ECF Veteran
It would be nice to go to a place that is a little more centrally located, right? I actually have quite a few bar/restaurant connections, BUT most of them are in the Scottsdale/Tempe areas. I do, however, like to spend time in Midtown Phoenix so I called up a few places.

1. Hula's Modern Tiki - Central & Camelback area - No Private Room but we could probably have the whole bar:
This is a restaurant/bar with a tiki theme, Cute place, and they do have a bar that is quite separate from their restaurant area with a huge table that seats about 20 people (in addition to other side tables and the large bar). I called and they said they THINK they are e-cigarette friendly but asked me to contact a manager tomorrow. Sounds like it would be do-able though, if you like the place. Hula's Modern Tiki. Great modern island cuisine and tropical cocktails in a casual, hip environment.

2. Sun Up Brewing - 3rd ST & Camelback - Private room just for us!
a great brewery-restaurant with a german influenced menu - great food and beer (they also serve wine and cider, but NO hard liquor - is that a problem?). They also have a "brewmasters" room which they generally only open for special events or private parties. I called and they said we could absolutely have the brewmasters room. They did want to verify that they allow e-cigarettes though, and they'll be calling me back with an answer on that.
SunUp Brewing Company - Our Location (Frankly, this is my top choice! I love this place!)

3. I thought of George & Dragon (also near central & camelback), but they have no private or semi-private area (although, the place IS huge, so maybe we could just take over a corner?). I didn't call them up yet.

4. Padre's at 10th St & Camelback - I tried calling but they weren't open yet. I haven't been to this place but I know a bartender here so I figured I'd give them a call and find out if they have a private room or if we'd be able to "take over" the bar area on a Saturday afternoon.

If you want some south scottsdale/tempe/chandler/mesa suggestions I can definitely help with that, but I think that's much too far for the westsiders to travel to. Anyone else have ideas? If we don't like a venue, we can always change it!

Jenny

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Sun Up Brewing sounds perfect! Let us know?

BTW, tell them that Arizona DID review e-cigs, and the only laws about them are selling/owning them if you are under 18 years of age. No area/use restrictions are on the books. (Matt Salmon helped with that one!)

Here is good info. to print out and highlight for them.
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/hb2203p.pdf
and
https://www.azcapitolreports.com/viewhtm.cfm?id=133790

Might speed things up (and keep them from getting some dingbat that gives them WRONG info. about these).

vapeopotamus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's too bad we are all so spread out! I have often thought about a westside monthly meet or something to that effect. It's tough to get all the way downtown sometimes. On the other hand I don't want to alienate anyone, blah. Sun up does sound good as far as a central location. :)

Catwhisperer

ECF Veteran
Great! Since SunUp seems to have the approval of those who've posted so far, I will follow up with them. They were supposed to call me and I haven't heard back from them yet, so I will call again tomorrow. The girl I spoke to on the phone was familiar enough with ecigs to ask "but they aren't smoke right? they're like a mist?" and I assured her yes, it's a water vapor, it disappears immediately and has no scent. (Well, not entirely true, but I'm not gonna get into the fact that people tell me my ecig smells like cookies to her!) If they seem unsure, I'll just make plans to stop in and see a manager so I can show them what I'm talking about. I will post with an update tomorrow!

Jenny

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Anytime someone wants to try to throw together a fun group meet up on one particular side of town, go ahead and post a notice thread about it.

We've done a few out on the west side. A few people from the east valley came out and there were about 8 of us there. I think it was a Thursday evening (at Los Fuentes Mexican Food restaurant in Surprise). It was fun.

It isn't about the size of the group that meets, nor is it about having suppliers, drawings, etc. really. I think it's about getting together with people you like (one or twenty)!

Cat... THANKS for doing this!! :wub:

Rhaevyn

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
www.myspace.com
Happy New Year VIP! I've been MIA for a while, way too much going on (like everyone else) but I really miss the meetings. I need to hang with the vapers again! I'll be watching this thread to find out what's up. Also, I'm currently available for employment opportunities (would like to do something where I'm not tied to a desk and computer anymore). Sadly my days have ended after five years at Go Daddy. It's all good though, I am energized for the new year, moving to a cute little place with my own backyard (yay DIRT!) and am going to try and go to school.

Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

Bright Blessings!

Last edited:

Catwhisperer

ECF Veteran
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread but I had hoped to have some POSITIVE NEWS first. Unfortunately, I have none. Sun Up's manager still hasn't called me back. I just called again and the manager is not there, again. I left a 3rd message. I understand she was on vacation the early part of last week but I'm still disappointed that she still hasn't contacted me yet. I'd say if I don't hear from them in the next day or two, we'll have to move on to a new site for January, or just have this last one at Hazelwoods, or skip the january meet altogether :(

Sorry guys! This is annoying me!

Jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread