Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I bought a 3x 18650 (89mm x 58mm x 21mm) DIY aluminum power bank kit a while back and converted it into a dual 18650 DNA30 mod.

After doing the build, I have a few do-overs with the next build: I used the ss 510 connector from fatdaddyvapes and although I really like it, it was a pita to shorten it as well as the center post and delrin insulator, so I would use just a standard 510 connector with a ss finishing washer. I also would try to figure out a way to have a snap on bottom cap instead of screwing it on. I would also use a 12mm ss fire switch instead of a ss 16mm fire switch - I had to shorten it to get it to fit plus it took up so much space that fitting the wiring in the top portion was a pita.

Other than that, I really like how JAX turned out. With the curve it fits in the hand really well, like a small whiskey flask. :laugh:

Also, the case will be perfect for an OKR or Raptor mod. The batt contacts can easily be wired in series instead of parallel and all the electronics placed in the middle portion of the case like I did with the DNA30.

Template on and holes cut...
jax1.jpg

parts ready to be epoxied in place... for the positive connections I shaped 2 Keystone C sized batt contacts and glued them in a plastic holder then glued to the top cap...
jax2.jpg

DNA30 wired and ready to go...
jax3.jpg

Close up of the slot I dremeled in the fatdaddyvapes 510 connector's center post to make it adjustable by using a jeweler's screwdriver... the top cap is just a plain metal piece, so I used a vinyl wrap on it...
jax4-1.jpg

All done and ready to close up... I shaped 2 Keystone C sized batt contacts and soldered them together, then glued to the bottom plate... I'm using 2x 18650 LG batts for a total of 5000mAh 60A... it's a bit of a pita to screw the bottom cap on with the springs and batts pressing against the plate so a snap on bottom cap would be perfect...
jax4.jpg

Evolv's usb charging board... I can charge internally or remove the batts for charging...
jax5.jpg

Lights on and powers up YAY! :laugh:
jax6.jpg

Size comparsion with Tera and Max...
jax7.jpg

jax8.jpg

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
The curved flask shape looks like a real pleasure to hold. I'm willing to try it out so we all get confirmation on that. :)

Just out of curiosity mamu, how many different cases have you got that have yet to be modded?

Jax is a real winner! Clay not so much...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Just out of curiosity mamu, how many different cases have you got that have yet to be modded?

A LOT!

Some cases look good and doable when I see the pic of it and the dimensions and actually are doable and work out aok, but some cases when I actually get it in my hands it was no go. Sometimes to find that perfect case takes tons of hours of searching what's out there and what's doable. But it's fun as it's like eye candy for me. :laugh:

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Looks nice as always! Quick question...I know SOMEWHERE there's a mouser parts list for the common items? (Fuses, switches, etc) or maybe a post with links to order stuff from?
Can someone be so kind as to point me in that direction? I've got a couple DNA20 boards, and would love to start a project :)

(Only reason I mentioned mouser, I live near them and can Will Call stuff and pickup same day :p )

33079kj.jpg

684Alpha

Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Canada eh!
Hey Mamu, As always, love your designs!. I would love to make my own dna mod, if Evolve releases some to us lowly newbs that would like to make one for ourselves, before I break down and buy a premade one. I would hate to ask you to give away any trade secrets :facepalm:. But would you be willing to recommend any case/ box suppliers?. I have exhausted flea bay, and am so so on the Hammond cases.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
@Visus - a DNA kit would be nice, but then most of us like to do our own thing anyway.

@Phone Guy - there's no common parts list that I know of. Just search digikey or mouser or arrow for what you need. If you need a tact switch, just search for tact switches and look at what's available. If you need a fuse, just search for a fuse with the hold current you need. That's what I do.

@Alpha - I buy most my cases from a l i e x p r e s s . c o m (without the spaces - ECF filters out that web site for some unknown reason). I've also found a few good buys at fasttech.com - but lately their shipping has become unreliable.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
@Alpha - I buy most my cases from a l i e x p r e s s . c o m (without the spaces - ECF filters out that web site for some unknown reason). I've also found a few good buys at fasttech.com - but lately their shipping has become unreliable.

Funny thing, Mamu--when I cut and pasted this webside (with the spaces and explanation) into another thread, the mods sent me a "rules reminder" because I was promoting "banned websites".

I'm curious to know if YOU get stalked and harassed by certain forum members like I do for things like this?...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread