Not open for further replies.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
or a coil jig and no reels...though i do have many.
got the daedalus coil jig. the version without the drill as i'm hoping that the drill i use for DIY will suffice (that and i couldn't find the version that came with the drill here. had to import this from the US and i also got stung by customs duty for the first time in a while).
i think @Don29palms has one and i may have bookmarked a discussion somewhere.
much investigating to do and more wire to get
another journey begins...

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
You're much further along than I was 150 days in! Hell I've got 3 years in and you're way ahead of my game. lol
i've a tendency to get slightly too into things (well, some would say too into...for me it's just the right amount...obviously ;)). many here found their proper setup very quickly and one that just works. that is what's important. never wind a coil? never use an rda or a mech? perfect if that's what works. the variety and choice are amazing and i imagine they will only expand further.
think i'm levelling out but i'm more than happy with that. here's to the next 150 days...or 3 years...
Yes I have the Avidartisan Daedalus. I have the original complete kit. I really like it, use it all the time and recommend it to anyone that will listen.
A regular drill will work as long as it's a variable speed drill. Good luck and if you need any help let me know.
drill is of a variable nature. expect a couple of PMs at some point if that's ok.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
i've a tendency to get slightly too into things (well, some would say too into...for me it's just the right amount...obviously ;)). many here found their proper setup very quickly and one that just works. that is what's important. never wind a coil? never use an rda or a mech? perfect if that's what works. the variety and choice are amazing and i imagine they will only expand further.
think i'm levelling out but i'm more than happy with that. here's to the next 150 days...or 3 years...

drill is of a variable nature. expect a couple of PMs at some point if that's ok.
It's definitely ok

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Glad that I stumbled across this thread as I recently got the Daedulas kit (without the drill). I watched a few vids on it and was happy with my first attempt, a single core clapton 26g/36g
I'm able to produce single cores in any length and every one of them is tight and good looking. My issue so far has been with parallel claptons. I understand that there will be some twists in the finished product but so far I'm getting a lot more twists than can be easily removed by holding the wire in pliers and reversing the drill. Are the twists just part of it?

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Glad that I stumbled across this thread as I recently got the Daedulas kit (without the drill). I watched a few vids on it and was happy with my first attempt, a single core clapton 26g/36g
I'm able to produce single cores in any length and every one of them is tight and good looking. My issue so far has been with parallel claptons. I understand that there will be some twists in the finished product but so far I'm getting a lot more twists than can be easily removed by holding the wire in pliers and reversing the drill. Are the twists just part of it?
glad you stumbled across it too as it sounds like you're making good headway. i'm sure our resident guru @Don29palms will be able to assist. i've not gotten near to that stage yet.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Are you leaving the ends free or are you using the spinners? I just leave the ends free and just stabilize them with my hand. Also the slower you go the less twist you'll get.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
glad you stumbled across it too as it sounds like you're making good headway. i'm sure our resident guru @Don29palms will be able to assist. i've not gotten near to that stage yet.
To be honest I'm still amazed at how much I enjoy building the wire and winding coils. I started vaping in May with a Smok V8 stick and a Baby Beast tank and have since went from trying to quit smoking to someone who now enjoys tinkering. I'll get with @Don29palms and seek his guidance. Thannks!

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Are you leaving the ends free or are you using the spinners? I just leave the ends free and just stabilize them with my hand. Also the slower you go the less twist you'll get.

Glad you jumped in here! So far I've only attempted doing it with swivels both with the Daedalus and with the Beadalon. I'll try letting the ends move freely and slowing my drill down to see how that works. I'm kinda wishing I had spent the extra money and gotten the full Daedalus kit instead of just the jig. Being able to adjust the drill speed and leave it at one constant speed would be easier than squeezing the trigger on my dewalt the whole time. Especially on the longer single core claptons that I've made. Speaking of length, is there a rule of thumb on how long to make a parallel? Thanks

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Glad you jumped in here! So far I've only attempted doing it with swivels both with the Daedalus and with the Beadalon. I'll try letting the ends move freely and slowing my drill down to see how that works. I'm kinda wishing I had spent the extra money and gotten the full Daedalus kit instead of just the jig. Being able to adjust the drill speed and leave it at one constant speed would be easier than squeezing the trigger on my dewalt the whole time. Especially on the longer single core claptons that I've made. Speaking of length, is there a rule of thumb on how long to make a parallel? Thanks

I really don't know. The longest I've done is probably around 3ft. I like to tinker alot so I usually only make enough wire for 2 or 3 sets of coils. Lately I've been using rectangle wire and that stuff is amazing in my opinion. Maybe this weekend I'll try to clapton some of that and see how it works.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
I really don't know. The longest I've done is probably around 3ft. I like to tinker alot so I usually only make enough wire for 2 or 3 sets of coils. Lately I've been using rectangle wire and that stuff is amazing in my opinion. Maybe this weekend I'll try to clapton some of that and see how it works.
Glad to hear that making longer pieces isn't the cause of the twists I've been having. Let us know how the rectangle clapton works out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread