Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
hmm.. :confused:

whats the difference when u r vaping at 40w on a non-Yihi device, vs 40J on a Yihi device, with both setting at the same temp limit?
No idea.

Without knowing the amount of time that 40J happens in you can't compare the two.

40J can mean 40W for one second, 80W for 0.5 seconds, 160W for 0.25 seconds, 20W for 2 seconds.

Reactions: macis

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
hmm.. :confused:

whats the difference when u r vaping at 40w on a non-Yihi device, vs 40J on a Yihi device, with both setting at the same temp limit?
There is none. Like 93gc40 said, for our purposes they are the same thing. Technically they are not the same thing, but then technically we misuse the term in our industry too so the way we use it (as opposed to what it actually means) a joule is exactly the same as a watt.

50J can be 200W for 0.25 seconds.
But the mod can't see the future. It can't predict how long you're going to hold the button down, and adjust itself accordingly to deliver the right number of joules in that amount of time. When set for 50 joules, it will deliver 50 joules per second, each and every second. That's called 50 watts, yo.

macis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2015
There is none. Like 93gc40 said, for our purposes they are the same thing. Technically they are not the same thing, but then technically we misuse the term in our industry too so the way we use it (as opposed to what it actually means) a joule is exactly the same as a watt.
and so.. technically speaking, a 40w TC device will not be sufficient for a 50J TC device user?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
40J can mean 40W for one second, 80W for 0.5 seconds, 160W for 0.25 seconds, 20W for 2 seconds.
It can mean lots of things. The way the term is misused in our industry, however, it means only one thing, and that is 40 joules per second. Not 40 joules per button press or 40 joules per battery charge, but 40 joules per second. But there's already a word for "joules per second" and that word is called "watts."

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
and so.. technically speaking, a 40w TC device will not be sufficient for a 50J TC device user?
The watts/joules setting is pretty meaningless in TC mode, anyway. The device will only use the the full power for a second or two until the coil reaches the selected temperature setting, and then back off the power to on the order of a couple dozen watts or whatever is required to maintain that temperature. The only thing watts/"joules" affect in TC mode, really, is the ramp-up time.

macis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2015
The watts/joules setting is pretty meaningless in TC mode, anyway. The device will only use the the full power for a second or two until the coil reaches the selected temperature setting, and then back off the power to on the order of a couple dozen watts or whatever is required to maintain that temperature. The only thing watts/"joules" affect in TC mode, really, is the ramp-up time.
i think i can finally understand what u mean now. in TC mode, whether its 40w or 40J can only contribute to the ramp up time. the mod will then adjust itself to the temp u set n maintained there.

one last question: if i were a 30-35w Kanthal user, will a DNA40 be sufficient for me in temp mode?

Devn

Nov 12, 2015
i think i can finally understand what u mean now. in TC mode, whether its 40w or 40J can only contribute to the ramp up time. the mod will then adjust itself to the temp u set n maintained there.

one last question: if i were a 30-35w Kanthal user, will a DNA40 be sufficient for me in temp mode?
kanthal isnt good for temp mode. Use Ni200 or Ti coils.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY

But the mod can't see the future. It can't predict how long you're going to hold the button down, and adjust itself accordingly to deliver the right number of joules in that amount of time. When set for 50 joules, it will deliver 50 joules per second, each and every second. That's called 50 watts, yo.
The joules setting only effects the preheat period which if you look at the oscilloscope charts changes time period as joules is adjusted. They are doing something other than applying 40W for 40J. Yo

;)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The joules setting only effects the preheat period which if you look at the oscilloscope charts changes time period as joules is adjusted. They are doing something other than applying 40W for 40J. Yo

;)
The ramp-up time changes because when you turn up the power (be it measured in watts or joules-per-second, doesn't matter because they are they same thing) then it doesn't take as long to heat up, natch.(moderated);)

Last edited by a moderator:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
The ramp-up time changes because when you turn up the power (be it measured in watts or joules-per-second, doesn't matter because they are they same thing) then it doesn't take as long to heat up, natch. (Moderated) ;)

If that were true the time period would be shorter at higher joules instead of longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread