MMcQ

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2013
Pennsylvania
The coils are all horrid...
Lets figure out how to hijack the concept and make into something vape-able

[emoji736]Candied Clouds
[emoji808]Cigarettes
The coils are definitely rebuildable. See my last post in this thread for more info. Just remove the airflow regulator from the bottom so you can see that you have it positioned properly with your wick lined up snug against the juice holes on the inside. I put mine back as it helps with spitback. Haven't bought new coils yet and don't plan to.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
The coils are all horrid...
Lets figure out how to hijack the concept and make into something vape-able

[emoji736]Candied Clouds
[emoji808]Cigarettes
I agree. Can't get more than a few toots before I have to unscrew the top (and watch the bubbles rise) then screw back down to vape.

When I start to get a burny taste, I do the unscrew move again.

Happens with both the Claptons and the 1.0 ohm.

I just retired it. Using the Mega One with the CLR and its waaaay better.

Reactions: Gfdeputy2

Gfdeputy2

Account closed on request
Sep 5, 2015
New Hampshire or New Vapeshire
I agree. Can't get more than a few toots before I have to unscrew the top (and watch the bubbles rise) then screw back down to vape.

When I start to get a burny taste, I do the unscrew move again.

Happens with both the Claptons and the 1.0 ohm.

I just retired it. Using the Mega One with the CLR and its waaaay better.
I have to do the same thing on my new TFV4

StirredStill

Jan 20, 2016
Canada
The coils are definitely rebuildable. See my last post in this thread for more info. Just remove the airflow regulator from the bottom so you can see that you have it positioned properly with your wick lined up snug against the juice holes on the inside. I put mine back as it helps with spitback. Haven't bought new coils yet and don't plan to.

I live in Canada... Not able to source any out as of yet.
If I order state side: confiscated.

So just waiting for it to make its way over here

[emoji736]Candied Clouds
[emoji808]Cigarettes

StirredStill

Jan 20, 2016
Canada
On what grounds do they confiscate your gear? That seems a bit stiff.

Confiscate may be a bit harsh.

It goes a little something like this:

-Customs sees package

-Customs wants to 'investigate'

-Customs then 'holds' package upwards of 2-3months

-Customs may/may not release items... Few things may be missing...

OR

-Package is 'lost'

[emoji736]Candied Clouds
[emoji808]Cigarettes

Reactions: lamensterms

MORTIS e

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Interesting all the complaints about the Cubis coils. I've read that it's a love it or hate tank but it's looking more on the hate side.
I have two Cubis tanks and have so far only used the 1.5 clapton and 1.0 SS coils, and I love this tanks. The obvious positives are that it doesn't leak and it holds a lot of juice for the size.
The problem is; they are attempting to market this tank for a variety of users, from beginners to more experienced vapers. In my experience however, It doesn't seem well suited to beginner vapers because it's finicky to get going smoothly, and may not be suited to veterans because most such users want greater airflow and bigger clouds.
It's finicky to get running smoothly because it floods every time you loosen the top to fill or change coils, so I have to turn it upside down and give several hard blows to clear it, but first I must clean out the drip tip and upper chimney or I might get a bit of juice in my mouth. Then immediately after clearing it, I must start vaping it or risk re-flooding if I wait too long. I also have to turn down the wattage or temperature during this initial vaping otherwise the first few drags come out as profusely hot and spitting vapor. After about a minute to settle in, the vapor and flavour is great, especially the 1.0 ohm stainless on TC, and the 4 mil capacity lasts me all day.
With a new coil (1.0ohm SS), I have to give it a serious priming period at moderate wattage/temps, about 14 watts or 350'F depending on the operating mode, otherwise it easily burns. Once the coil's broken in, I can take it up to 20 watts or 510'F and get a satisfying and smooth vape.
It seems that all 3 coil types require a careful priming period and moderate power until the coil is broken in. If not, the user will likely have a bad experience.

Rob Bacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2015
Spokane, Washington
I use the .5 ss316 coil at 30w, and have nothing but a great experience with the Cubis. I was skeptical at first because using in temp mode for ss it kept going to protect mode. But if use temp in ni mode with ss coil it works wonders. But ive been using the .5 for about 3 weeks now and am still going strong. I think plcareful priming works wonders.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
This video while not the greatest and overly long has some good tips on setting up a new prebuilt coil at about 5:20 into the video. It's a little more time and effort, but I found it helpful and you could tailor some of his techniques to your setup and see if it helps avoid dry hits as well as flooding.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
It's finicky to get running smoothly because it floods every time you loosen the top to fill or change coils, so I have to turn it upside down and give several hard blows to clear it, but first I must clean out the drip tip and upper chimney or I might get a bit of juice in my mouth.

A fella in another thread (forget who and thread) suggested...to avoid gurgling/flooding...making sure AFC is completely OPEN before screwing on the top.

(Can't yet test...still waiting to receive mine from FT.)

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So I just got my Cubis two days ago I guess mostly because of the leak proof design like most here. And like many I've already burnt the 3 coils it came with (70/30 juice all within the recommended wattage ranges for the respective coil heads).

Got a 5 pack of the 0.5 ohm heads and did the whole careful priming thing just like the guy in the video that was posted earlier in this thread. I was getting OK performance at 27 watts then bad dry hit all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure I burnt my fourth coil with this thing.

I ordered the rba head because they claim it can go to 70 watts so I'm assuming that the wicking holes are bigger. I paid more for shipping than the actual rba head itself so this thing better pay off...

I'm a builder so I don't care if it's difficult as long as it pays off. I've really been disappointed with the horrible flavor and the dry hits that I get with this thing. The airflow is perfect to me for mouth to lung. I even cut it down sometimes. I don't care about vapor I just want good flavor. And I'm really bummed to see people already claim that even with the rba it still sucks. I can't see how bigger juice holes doesn't fix the flavor and wicking issues (if you build a good vertical coil in it).

I keep watching the big boys' reviews on the Cubis (twisted, Matt, grimmgreen, p.busardo) and i really don't get how they all got a good experience and a bunch of us are not. I don't think they would all lie about it.

Can the people who are actually having a good time with their Cubis share their tips, tricks, details of how they're using it? (Which coil head? Wattage? Juice VG percentage? Priming method?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
So I just got my Cubis two days ago I guess mostly because of the leak proof design like most here. And like many I've already burnt the 3 coils it came with (70/30 juice all within the recommended wattage ranges for the respective coil heads).

Got a 5 pack of the 0.5 ohm heads and did the whole careful priming thing just like the guy in the video that was posted earlier in this thread. I was getting OK performance at 27 watts then bad dry hit all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure I burnt my fourth coil with this thing.

I ordered the rba head because they claim it can go to 70 watts so I'm assuming that the wicking holes are bigger. I paid more for shipping than the actual rba head itself so this thing better pay off...

I'm a builder so I don't care if it's difficult as long as it pays off. I've really been disappointed with the horrible flavor and the dry hits that I get with this thing. The airflow is perfect to me for mouth to lung. I even cut it down sometimes. I don't care about vapor I just want good flavor. And I'm really bummed to see people already claim that even with the rba it still sucks. I can't see how bigger juice holes doesn't fix the flavor and wicking issues (if you build a good vertical coil in it).

I keep watching the big boys' reviews on the Cubis (twisted, Matt, grimmgreen, p.busardo) and i really don't get how they all got a good experience and a bunch of us are not. I don't think they would all lie about it.

Can the people who are actually having a good time with their Cubis share their tips, tricks, details of how they're using it? (Which coil head? Wattage? Juice VG percentage? Priming method?)

I really respect most of the reviewers that liked this tank, but I had an incredibly underwhelming experience with it. In a nutshell, it was just not good (AT ALL!) for performance. I did like the design, the build quality and the ingenuity, but the performance was poor at best.

Reactions: drysprocket

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I really respect most of the reviewers that liked this tank, but I had an incredibly underwhelming experience with it. In a nutshell, it was just not good (AT ALL!) for performance. I did like the design, the build quality and the ingenuity, but the performance was poor at best.
I know I do too but that's what I'm saying. I don't get it. I don't think they would all lie about it. Obviously some people are loving it and I want to too lol. Idk why I keep burning up the 0.5 coils. I'm using 70/30 juice and I've heard of people using max VG with no issues.

I can seriously live with this thing if the rba section let's me build a good coil that I can get good flavor from. I don't even care if it can't go past 30 watts as long as it wicks well and produces good flavor.

On another note, my wife just started vaping and she likes the 1.5 clapton head but she direct lung hits it lol. Can't see how she does that with the airflow so tight but I assume it's because it's the only vape she's ever used besides the innokin t18 which has much tighter airflow.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I´m a little bit proud of myself and my judgement abilities, because of how many people have the same problems with the Cubis that I described on page 1 of this thread. Makes me wonder about why most Youtube reviewers haven´t noticed... ;)

Icy Hot never worked for me, and I can't understand how it works so well for Shaquille O'neal. :laugh: ;)

StirredStill

Jan 20, 2016
Canada

I have burnt through upwards of 10 coils trying to love this friggin' tank. I ALMOST caved and was about to order in the two RBA... I'll wait to hear back from your experience and leave that shiz in my virtual 'cart'
In the meantime: pray to the vape gods.

[emoji709]

Reactions: drysprocket

Butch

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
433 miles north. of the Alamo

As I stated in my earlier post, the only way that has worked for me is using the 1.5 Clapton & seriously tootle puffing...........keep it below 12 watts max........70/30 pg/vg. I've had absolutely no luck any other way.......but as tootle puffer it is great.

Reactions: gerrymi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread