• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Joyetech eCab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
I just noticed the new eCabs are coming out.

At first, I thought....ooo ahhh pretty.

The concept of changing the battery in a small unit is nice, but it's only a 360mah. The other issue, I would have, is it appears to ONLY operate with an ego-C atty. It doesn't look like you can use any other cartos, clearos on the battery. Why, oh why, would they do that? :?:

It's too bad they don't speed things up and come out with a slim ego + changeable battery and drop the price on those atty's! But then again, next week something new will crop up.

I now understand what everyone means about new items appearing weekly! ;)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I just noticed the new eCabs are coming out.

At first, I thought....ooo ahhh pretty.

The concept of changing the battery in a small unit is nice, but it's only a 360mah. The other issue, I would have, is it appears to ONLY operate with an ego-C atty. It doesn't look like you can use any other cartos, clearos on the battery. Why, oh why, would they do that? :?:

Lock-in. buy into a proprietary system and you're financially invested and therefore have an interest in sticking with it, and to do so you have to buy their consumable products.

However I didn't see anything that indicated that it isn't a 510 connection. It just looks like a slightly fatter 510, like the Volt. (The other Volt that GotVapes and Vaporus are selling, not the Smokeless Image one.)

Just the same if it's the same system as the eGo-C then it's probably going to work well in all but wicking capability, which the eGo-C failed at if you had any juice with more than about 20% VG.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Lock-in. Buy into a proprietary system and you're financially invested and therefore have an interest in sticking with it, and to do so you have to buy their consumable products.

However I didn't see anything that indicated that it isn't a 510 connection. It just looks like a slightly fatter 510, like the Volt. (The other Volt that GotVapes and Vaporus are selling, not the Smokeless Image one.)

Just the same if it's the same system as the eGo-C then it's probably going to work well in all but wicking capability, which the eGo-C failed at if you had any juice with more than about 20% VG.

I know what you mean about the proprietary 'me me me'. Although, in today's market, I don't think it is wise, when vapers clearly like options. But once you are drawn in by that gorgeous red, you're stuck with it!! lol

There wasn't a note that indicated if it was a 510, but looking at the nature of the design, the base of an ego-c is eliminated. It shows the atty simply placed on the battery and the cone covering it. I wonder if a base of sorts is built into the battery? If it is, there is nothing to detach to make a connection for other cartos/clearos? I'm far from an expert, but my eyes are beginning to know what to look for and what to hide from. :)

Or maybe I'm completely off track, and an adapter may be used? I know there are very few fans of the ego-c system. Oh well....just thought I'd mention it!

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I know what you mean about the proprietary 'me me me'. Although, in today's market, I don't think it is wise, when vapers clearly like options. But once you are drawn in by that gorgeous red, you're stuck with it!! lol

There wasn't a note that indicated if it was a 510, but looking at the nature of the design, the base of an ego-c is eliminated. It shows the atty simply placed on the battery and the cone covering it. I wonder if a base of sorts is built into the battery? If it is, there is nothing to detach to make a connection for other cartos/clearos? I'm far from an expert, but my eyes are beginning to know what to look for and what to hide from. :)

Or maybe I'm completely off track, and an adapter may be used? I know there are very few fans of the ego-c system. Oh well....just thought I'd mention it!

It's hard to tell from that CGI video -- they don't actually show the details of how it all fits together apart from the fact that you can remove the battery. It was all too rapid-fire to make anything useful out in that department, so I guess we'll have to see. I'm guessing it's a 10440-based system unless they have a proprietary battery as well.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Vapor Geek has them listed already! They seem to be good like that with the new Joyetech toys. :)

The price is not too shabby. This is found under the listing for the battery, "The eCab battery is not compatible with 510/510-T/eGo/eGo-T/eGo-C atomizers(except eGo-C atomizer head Type A)".

Yes it's an ICR10440 battery...are these available in non-Joyetech branding? (don't laugh at my questions, I'm new to this battery changing world :))

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON

Interesting. So it's definitely a proprietary connection then, and I'm guessing those are 10440 batteries it comes with. (EDIT: Yep.) Interesting idea. Not chuffed about the 3.3v unless the heads are LR. Still, it looks interesting at any rate. I'm wondering if the change in design helps promote better wicking than the C had. For that matter I'm wondering why they went with a proprietary connection at all (apart from the lock-in thing), there must be a practical reason for it.

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Vapor Geek has them listed already! They seem to be good like that with the new Joyetech toys. :)

The price is not too shabby. This is found under the listing for the battery, "The eCab battery is not compatible with 510/510-T/eGo/eGo-T/eGo-C atomizers(except eGo-C atomizer head Type A)".

Yes it's an ICR10440 battery...are these available in non-Joyetech branding? (don't laugh at my questions, I'm new to this battery changing world :))

Yeah, 10440 batteries are available, though not as widely as others. I know Happy Vaper carries them for the Precise P10 mod he carries.

I just E-Mailed Lae to see when she might be getting them in.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
So your interest is piqued? Do I sense a review *hint hint* :D

I use my ego-c occasionally, I still enjoy a fresh atty/batt vape. So for other users as well, it wouldn't be consuming to have another unit if atty's are on hand. I do like the removable battery feature, just disappointed I wouldn't be able to use any clearos with it.

Keep us posted if a review may be up and coming, I'd like to see what you think about this proprietary piece.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
So your interest is piqued? Do I sense a review *hint hint* :D

I use my ego-c occasionally, I still enjoy a fresh atty/batt vape. So for other users as well, it wouldn't be consuming to have another unit if atty's are on hand. I do like the removable battery feature, just disappointed I wouldn't be able to use any clearos with it.

Keep us posted if a review may be up and coming, I'd like to see what you think about this proprietary piece.

Heh ... your Spidey Smiley Sense is tingling. Yes, Lae will be sending me one to review when she has one to spare. She's figuring on a couple of weeks at least though, so there will be a bit of a wait yet.

I'm quite interested in seeing what the practical upshot to it is though, and how it performs and compares against other similar systems (including its older brother the eGo-C).

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
Heh ... your Spidey Smiley Sense is tingling.

If only I had the smileyweb projection to fetch my pv's! :D

Things are changing so fast in this space that I've scratching my head when is the market flooding going to stop and market consolidation going to begin.

Yes I'm off topic but what's next?

Ever evolving technology won't stop spiraling until it's harnessed ;) Good question....
here is a link to your new post...http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/312919-where-vaping-technology-styling-going.html

I will post there. :)

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
What I'd really like is a sealed auto battery about the size of a 510 that's at least 400mah and about 4.0-4.2V sustained (PWM?). 3.4-3.6V just doesn't cut it for SR Attys/Cartos, and even a lot of LR Attys/Cartos IMHO.

I have to admit these look pretty slick, but I'm not a fan of the tank system. These are all notorious for building up condensation in the limited diameter air-hole(s) they give you and you eventually end up drinking your e-liquid, not to mention the wicking issues. The changeable battery system is OK. I have no issue having a "shell" that's your actual device and just replacing the battery when needed. Theoretically this would allow the actual device to last more long-term by just replacing the guts instead of pitching the entire unit when the battery starts to degrade.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
What I'd really like is a sealed auto battery about the size of a 510 that's at least 400mah and about 4.0-4.2V sustained (PWM?). 3.4-3.6V just doesn't cut it for SR Attys/Cartos, and even a lot of LR Attys/Cartos IMHO.

PWM is designed to simulate a lower current by modulating a high current. As such, it only works in either a stacked system (which already has a high current potential), or in conjunction with a buck/boost system (which boosts the current to a high level to then be modulated by PWM). You'd never fit that circuitry and/I] a ~400mAh battery in a 510 form factor with current technology.

I have to admit these look pretty slick, but I'm not a fan of the tank system. These are all notorious for building up condensation in the limited diameter air-hole(s) they give you and you eventually end up drinking your e-liquid, not to mention the wicking issues. The changeable battery system is OK. I have no issue having a "shell" that's your actual device and just replacing the battery when needed. Theoretically this would allow the actual device to last more long-term by just replacing the guts instead of pitching the entire unit when the battery starts to degrade.

The condensation/juice in the mouth thing with these sort of tank system can be largely eliminated by removing the bridge at the end of the mouthpiece. Wicking issues are a legitimate concern though, and the eGo-C doesn't wick well with 20-30% VG or higher, which is what I want to test on the eCab, to see if they've managed to come up with some system that pulls more juice to the coil. (The atty heads can stay the way they are as long as they can create enough negative pressure in the rest of the system to pull more juice in from the tank.)

I do appreciate the use of removable batteries though. 10440s are common enough to find at a lot of vendors, so it's easy to get spares.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
Well if you don't mind a bit fatter mod Vapor Geek also has the Joytech tube mod . The controller at this link Joyetech eGo-T 2 Upgrade Battery MOD Control Unit has the 5 click on and off also when off if you hold the fire button down you go from regulated mode to battery voltage mode . You can use a 2600mah sanyo 18650 in it and it will last a lot longer than the ecab . Use a LR ego-C on it on regulated mode o SR on non regulated mode.

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
PWM is designed to simulate a lower current by modulating a high current. As such, it only works in either a stacked system (which already has a high current potential), or in conjunction with a buck/boost system (which boosts the current to a high level to then be modulated by PWM). You'd never fit that circuitry and/I] a ~400mAh battery in a 510 form factor with current technology.

The condensation/juice in the mouth thing with these sort of tank system can be largely eliminated by removing the bridge at the end of the mouthpiece. Wicking issues are a legitimate concern though, and the eGo-C doesn't wick well with 20-30% VG or higher, which is what I want to test on the eCab, to see if they've managed to come up with some system that pulls more juice to the coil. (The atty heads can stay the way they are as long as they can create enough negative pressure in the rest of the system to pull more juice in from the tank.)

I do appreciate the use of removable batteries though. 10440s are common enough to find at a lot of vendors, so it's easy to get spares.

Ya, sorry, I wasn't sure if PWM was the right term to use there LOL. Really I just want something that's regulated at a slightly higher voltage in the 4.0-4.2 range on a 400ish mah battery, or even 300 mah. That voltage seems to be the sweet spot for me vaping between 2.2-2.5 ohms. I don't mind having to recharge often, I just want a pen style and size with a little more voltage and regulated circuitry. Whether or not that's possible with today's technology is a different story.

The Redds are REALLY close to a perfect vape, but use a filler carto which I'm trying to get away from. Even with it's design you get burnt filler taste every once in a while and I'm sure it can't be good for you. They use a 2ohm carto on an 808 battery which I think is 3.7v? (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that) Anyhow, for such a small package they are awesome, but I'd love to have a phoenix BC (or something like it) work just as well in that form factor. Gotvapes does have an 808 phoenix now, but they don't kick out enough watts on a standard 808 battery to maximize their potential.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
So, got my eCab today and have been using it for a few hours. Initial impressions:

- Quite a striking looking device. Nice matte black with brass accents on the band and battery cap; slick, glossy black tank.
- Smaller than I thought. Bigger than a 510 or 808, but closer to that than an eGo in girth. More cigarillo size than cigar.
- I kind of like the detents to secure the battery cap on. Easier than spending several moments trying to stop a normal battery cap from cross-threading.
- Wicks 70/30 juices quite well, surprisingly. No dry hits.
- Finding the button without looking can sometimes be a little bit like playing Where's Waldo.
- Performance is decidedly meh. Suffers from most of the same problems all tank systems do: Diminished flavour and throat hit. I have to use a strongly-flavoured juice at a higher nic strength than normal to get a satisfying vape out of it.
- Vapor isn't exactly cool, but not mouth-temperature either. Kind of luke-warm.
- Condensation gets all over the inside of the cover and around the inner parts of the mouthpiece. No juice in the mouth though, the hole in the mouthpiece has a bit of a mound that sticks up inside the air chamber so jucie would have to build up considerably before it would be able to spit out the mouthpiece hole. That much at least is a good idea.

It seems like Joyetech's idea with this was to try and fill a niche I'm not sure anyone was clamouring for. My impression is that they're trying to take the eGo-C platform to a more newbie-friendly size by eliminating the atomizer base seen in the eGo-C and building it right into the body (this is the reason for the proprietary connection). Instead you just stick the atty head right on the connector and screw on the cove.

With a strongly-flavoured juice at a higher nic level it's actually not bad -- but that's kind of missing the point. I first tried a 12mg pear juice and it was pretty weak - flavour and TH both. I've now got some Vaporus Blackberry in here (18mg) and it's coming through a lot better -- TH is more like a 12mg and flavour is pretty bold (it's a very bold juice to begin with). Aside from what seems to be improved wicking (something the eGo-C didn't give me), it's still performing more or else like the eGo-T, if as as slightly warmer vape. It doesn't even the good flavour the eGo-C provided.

At least so far -- there seems to be a long break-in period with this so I'm going to give it a few more days and see how it pans out. It's a cute and stylish device and the package comes with some nice kit, so I kind of want to like it. We'll see.

Last edited:

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
I suppose the only benefit to this unit is the ability to change the batteries, instead of replacing the whole battery?

How has the battery life been so far?

Would you recommend it to someone who is already invested in an ego-c and looking to add to their collection?

I am curious to see the 'real life' size of it, outside of the promo photos.

Thanks for the review Minefield :)

Knotar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
St. Thomas Ontario
I am curious to see the 'real life' size of it, outside of the promo photos.
There are reviews on YouTube that have people holding it in hand. The one from ovaleusa has the reviewer holding it up to a 510 or 808 battery. Also he put it up to a ruler.
Sorry I have no link. I'm new to my iPad and have no clue how to post it without it being a mobile site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread