Jucing? Anyone else do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
Hi guys. My wife and I both started caring more about our health once we got into vaping. Five weeks ago we started dieting too. I've lost 30 pounds so far =)

A big helper of this has been juicing in the mornings. I juice things like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, etc. I then add a fruit of my choice for a sweetener (usually a banana, it's my favorite fruit).

What are some of your favorite juices? What are some secrets you have for juicing? My big secret is CINNAMON. Ground cinnamon is good for the metabolism and speeds it up. If a juice doesn't turn out as tasty as I had hoped I can add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, wisk it up, and enjoy. You can also add cayanne pepper.

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
Congrats on losing that weight and getting healthy! I have been juicing for about a year myself. I'll have to try the cinnamon sometime. My secret is an apple, and apple will just make anything taste good lol. I mostly do carrot apple juice but switch it up to the greens sometimes too, like kale, cucumber, celery, and i still throw an apple in for taste. And it really helps, sometimes I slack and don't juice for a week or two, and I feel so much better once I get back on track. More energy, clear skin, etc..

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I mostly do greens. Being overweight and borderline diabetic, I have to be VERY careful with my fruit juices. Really, anyone should but I REALLY have to be careful. You're absolutely right about an apple making anything taste good.

My MAIN juice is about 4 parts broccoli, 2 stalks of celery with the leaf attached, half of a pear and half of a banana. It's SO GOOD!

But I only call that my main juice because it's the one I do most often. Realistically, I mix it up with kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, zucchini, etc. I am saving up money to get a much nicer juicer so I can do wheatgrass.

I feel so much healthier on days I start with a glass of fresh raw juice. =)

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
Same here, just makes you feel so good! Even after a year I'm still on one of those cheaper juicers that I know partly oxidizes things, buuuttt I still can't get around to spending $300 on a proper one :-( Oh well, I know I'm still getting the nutrients cuz I can feel the diff! And good luck to you, hopefully you can just reverse that borderline diabetic part. Sometimes if I feel myself slackin, I'll watch a documentary on how horrible processed foods are to pump myself up again lol.. but seriously, that works for me :p

kico166

ECF Veteran
I don't " juice" so much as using Whey Protein powder w/ Dynamic Greens for fruit & veggie nutrition. Trying to get gluten & dairy free w/o spending the big bucks. (1 gram per lb of body weight! Its your building & repair material!)

That said - YouTube Pharmacist Ben (Fuchs) is a favorite, or listen on GCN radio "Brightside Ben". He talks about sipping a veggie water - a cucumber & water in the Vita Mix.
I think you could do this w/ a regular blender while you look at your choices. The benefit is liquid nutrition but your keeping the important fiber.

Isnt it amazing how much you start to appreciate your health when you feeling better by something as simple as vaping? You can have your "choc" and NOT eat it!
Congrats on the losses!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
Isnt it amazing how much you start to appreciate your health when you feeling better by something as simple as vaping? You can have your "choc" and NOT eat it!
Congrats on the losses!

Yes indeedy! It's actually part of what helped me switch to vaping. I thought, I'm trying to be all healthy, juice, eat less meat, but I'm still smoking. Seemed pointless. But now I feel double better!

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I don't " juice" so much as using Whey Protein powder w/ Dynamic Greens for fruit & veggie nutrition. Trying to get gluten & dairy free w/o spending the big bucks. (1 gram per lb of body weight! Its your building & repair material!)

That said - YouTube Pharmacist Ben (Fuchs) is a favorite, or listen on GCN radio "Brightside Ben". He talks about sipping a veggie water - a cucumber & water in the Vita Mix.
I think you could do this w/ a regular blender while you look at your choices. The benefit is liquid nutrition but your keeping the important fiber.

Congrats on the losses!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Curious, don't you still lose out on many of the nutrients that you won't be able to digest and absorb due to the fiber? It's the same reason why juicing to begin with is so popular, you get the nutrients out of the fiber and digest it easier.

Though, cucumber water doesn't sound bad at all. Love me some cucumber.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
I got into a health kick when I started vaping, and decided to do a juice fast after the wife got me to watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". I did it for 10 days, and lost about 22 lbs. I kept losing weight for the next couple of weeks, too. I felt great and had a ton of energy. I'm considering doing another juice fast, because I felt so good and I could lose a few more pounds. I usually did chard, kale, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, and apples or oranges to sweeten things up. I heard beets were a good ingredient to add, but I haven't tried using them yet.

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
Okay...so recommend a juicer.

There are way too many.

This Omega is supposed to be one of the better ones out there.. I guess in general masticating is good. But personally I can't afford a $300 juicer ANY time soon. So I have a $70 deal from Target. It oxidizes some but I know I still get some nutrients, b/c I can feel the difference when I don't juice for a week or two, and when I start again.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
find its great people are losing weight, one or two pounds a week is healthy any more and you may be in for a muscle loss you can never get back.Its a journey that should take some time.

I think it's important to mention what size I am. I am morbidly obese. When we started dieting I was 360 pounds. Trust me: I can spare to lose more than a pound to two pounds a week at this size. The funny thing is, I'm still eating. I'm eating and eating a lot. I'm never hungry and always full. I just eat healthy foods. If I get a real craving and want to gorge (being a food addict, this is pretty common for me) I can make a giant stir fry with a whole onion, two jalapenos, a whole red pepper, a whole green pepper, some sweet mini peppers, a zuchini, a squash, a clove of garlic, some cabbage, some carrots, etc etc. Then I can top it all off with a fourth a cup of egg whites to give it some substance and proteins. Delicious!

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
I think it's important to mention what size I am. I am morbidly obese. When we started dieting I was 360 pounds. Trust me: I can spare to lose more than a pound to two pounds a week at this size. The funny thing is, I'm still eating. I'm eating and eating a lot. I'm never hungry and always full. I just eat healthy foods. If I get a real craving and want to gorge (being a food addict, this is pretty common for me) I can make a giant stir fry with a whole onion, two jalapenos, a whole red pepper, a whole green pepper, some sweet mini peppers, a zuchini, a squash, a clove of garlic, some cabbage, some carrots, etc etc. Then I can top it all off with a fourth a cup of egg whites to give it some substance and proteins. Delicious!

Oh yummy! Do you add soy sauce or anything else like that?
And keep it up, you'll be buying a whole new wardrobe soon, we all love success stories!

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
Oh yummy! Do you add soy sauce or anything else like that?
And keep it up, you'll be buying a whole new wardrobe soon, we all love success stories!

Oh trust me, I AM keeping it up. Fact of the matter is, my wife has always been out of my league and I'm so thankful I somehow tricked her into loving me for who I am. But I want to look good FOR her. I want to be healthy for our kids. None of this is for me, it's for the people I love more than even my own life.

Today's juice: One tomato, three small stalks of celery including that middle one with all those small leaves, and about a large handful of broccoli. A very vegetable tasting juice, so some may need to add a fruit but it's perfect for me: Tastes like V8. I add a few dashes of cayenne pepper.

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009

!00% true, I had no idea of your size, I also needed the 2 + a week kick for sure and did it as the girth was an immediate need for sure.It was years back and didnt think that advice(thinking it was good for all) my bad.Eating healthy, its actually hard to keep weight on, go figure and why didn't anyone tell me my buffet ways could be satified with good food years back?One thing I notice is healthy food rarely has a coupon . congrats in every way, I keep a weight journal for every month for at least the last four years running, it works for me but maybe not all, now if someone trys to pry my one dq blizzards a month from my hands , watch out.

Last edited:

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
Ha. We have set up a website for my friends and family who are all participating in this together. We call ourselves "The Food Chain". We're all getting healthy together, between the ten of us in six weeks we've only had TWO weight gains total. We're all losing =)

But, on the website I have set up a blog where I track my running times, distances and calories burned as well as my current weight. =) It really helps to keep you motivated!

Broodwich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Charleston, SC
Oh I'm going to try that, I was just staring at some leftover celery and wondering what I could mix with it to juice, and I just happen to have tomatoes, no broccoli but I'll try mixed greens. A bit of lemon juice can be really good too, here's a cool article on all its benefits.

Oh trust me, I AM keeping it up. Fact of the matter is, my wife has always been out of my league and I'm so thankful I somehow tricked her into loving me for who I am. But I want to look good FOR her. I want to be healthy for our kids. None of this is for me, it's for the people I love more than even my own life.

Today's juice: One tomato, three small stalks of celery including that middle one with all those small leaves, and about a large handful of broccoli. A very vegetable tasting juice, so some may need to add a fruit but it's perfect for me: Tastes like V8. I add a few dashes of cayenne pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread