Juice prices, at the risk of being branded a bit of a cheapskate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
and I am also running the risk of being labelled a lazy so and so for not getting into DIY (that's what happened to me for saying I would rather buy my own coils than make them lol) I would like to know how people feel about paying a lot of money for self proclaimed 'premium' liquids.

Don't get me wrong, if the liquids are really good I am of course happy to pay the asking price but the question is... how do you know? All we have to go on is a description on the internet and for some of the better known brands word of mouth (which is not much help as taste in liquid is so subjective) so why spend a lot of money on something you might actually hate?

It would be okay to do that for one, maybe two flavours, but keep doing that buying this stuff on spec and it soon adds up.

I don't know why these 'premium' brands don't do cheap samples so you can try before you buy. House of Liquids springs to mind. Wildly varying reactions to their stuff, though it has to be said the people who like it 'really' like it. Will I be one of those people? I don't know. How am I supposed to know without buying it first?

Can I just point out HoL may well be the best liquid provider IN THE WHOLE WORLD I am not singling them out they are just one of many vendors who take this approach. In the UK we have Mrs Lord's Custard which is highly regarded but not cheap, and not only that, you have to take your turn in a queue to register with their site just for the privilege of buying their liquids i.e. giving them your money!

Anyway, this is my rant: 5ml samples for say, £2.50 (3 or 4 dollars to you?) is the way ahead, not 3 times that for 10mls.

I am not taking about Dekang and Hansen stuff here I'm talking about The Liquid Elite, whoever they are, if they even exist, I may has just made it all up.

I just typed all this and realise now that the vendors will never read it so I'm wasting my time anyway but since I've done it now, I'm just going to go ahead and post it! If one vendor reads it and has a change of heart, I am one step closer to changing the world of vaping forever!

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I rarely buy "premium" liquids. One of my favorites is Roar's Amnesia $16.50 plus shipping. I'll buy it once every blue moon because I like it enough to want to try it but for the most part since I am a chain vaper I'm content with Azure's $16 for 120ml plus shipping or making my own. As more people get into vaping instead of smoking, the price of juice will be driven down. The market will drive the price. I doubt very few juice makers are driving Bentleys but as the market triples and quadruples, the price of juice will become more of a factor.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I rarely buy "premium" liquids. One of my favorites is Roar's Amnesia $16.50 plus shipping. I'll buy it once every blue moon because I like it enough to want to try it but for the most part since I am a chain vaper I'm content with Azure's $16 for 120ml plus shipping or making my own. As more people get into vaping instead of smoking, the price of juice will be driven down. The market will drive the price. I doubt very few juice makers are driving Bentleys but as the market triples and quadruples, the price of juice will become more of a factor.

Good point, and not only will there be more competitive pricing the quality of the juice will hopefully go up a notch too. I feel kind of bad not at least trying the DIY route but I'm kind of squeamish about messing about with large amounts of nicotine. Stupid, I know...

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The best way to "find out" is from the community at large. I can't begin to list all of the times that vaping-friends have sent samples of equipment or liquid. I've gone in on purchases with friends, or been "covered" by fans of said products if I wasn't happy with the purchase. Basically, my point is that you are never flying blind.

So, on to HoL. What liquids are you thinking of? I went on a huge purchase with them (with a friend) so I can speak about several of their liquids. i can't say if it's worth the money, but I can tell you how I felt about my purchase.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Good point, and not only will there be more competitive pricing the quality of the juice will hopefully go up a notch too. I feel kind of bad not at least trying the DIY route but I'm kind of squeamish about messing about with large amounts of nicotine. Stupid, I know...

seriously SS ... go for it. I just started DIY this past weekend ... been vaping some DIY Apple Pie all day. I have other vendor juices I could switch to ... however, I can't put this stuff down.

I am totally sold on DIY :2cool:

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
The best way to "find out" is from the community at large. I can't begin to list all of the times that vaping-friends have sent samples of equipment or liquid. I've gone in on purchases with friends, or been "covered" by fans of said products if I wasn't happy with the purchase. Basically, my point is that you are never flying blind.

So, on to HoL. What liquids are you thinking of? I went on a huge purchase with them (with a friend) so I can speak about several of their liquids. i can't say if it's worth the money, but I can tell you how I felt about my purchase.

I like the look of the HoL tobacco liquids, they are held in high esteem. But I might hate them that's my whole point. You're lucky if you have a circle of vaping friends where you can swap and share. I'm kind of new to it all, and in the UK it hasn't taken off as much so yeah, I'm pretty much going into it all blind.

I love how you can get loads of really good indepth reviews on virtually any vaping hardware on youtube, liquids are pretty much 'pay and find out' for me at the moment. I know the vendors have to make money, I just wonder sometimes if they're losing out by not having smaller amounts for people to try first. I'd happily spend £30 trying out say, ten flavours, and would spend a lot more on the ones I like. No way am I going to spend the same amount trying out three or four.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I like the look of the HoL tobacco liquids, they are held in high esteem. But I might hate them that's my whole point. You're lucky if you have a circle of vaping friends where you can swap and share. I'm kind of new to it all, and in the UK it hasn't taken off as much so yeah, I'm pretty much going into it all blind.

I love how you can get loads of really good indepth reviews on virtually any vaping hardware on youtube, liquids are pretty much 'pay and find out' for me at the moment. I know the vendors have to make money, I just wonder sometimes if they're losing out by not having smaller amounts for people to try first. I'd happily spend £30 trying out say, ten flavours, and would spend a lot more on the ones I like. No way am I going to spend the same amount trying out three or four.

To be honest with you, some of HoL tobacco liquids are good, but they are not as good as their price would suggest. I have said this before, but HoL is one of the KINGS of making a liquid look like the end-all-be-all of vaping. The truth is their liquids are decent/good/(maybe) slightly above average, but so are many liquids that are a 1/3 of the price.

HoL does have sample sizes, so you may want to travel that route. Or, you can try one flavor (one of their Reserve liquids) and if that doesn't work for you (it is supposedly their "premium"), then you might as well say screw it. The way I see it is that these expensive vendors don't have the leeway to disappoint with those kind of prices in the way that cheaper vendors do.

p.s. In case you're wondering about my experience in this arena, I have vaped tobacco liquids ("NETs") from virtually every online vendor that offers them.

Last edited:

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
To be honest with you, some of HoL tobacco liquids are good, but they are not as good as their price would suggest. I have said this before, but HoL is one of the KINGS of making a liquid look like the end-all-be-all of vaping. The truth is their liquids are decent/good/(maybe) slightly above average, but so are many liquids that are a 1/3 of the price.

HoL does have sample sizes, so you may want to travel that route. Or, you can try one flavor (one of their Reserve liquids) and if that doesn't work for you (it is supposedly their "premium"), then you might as well say screw it. The way I see it is that these expensive vendors don't have the leeway to disappoint with those kind of prices in the way that cheaper vendors do.

p.s. In case you're wondering about my experience in this arena, I have vaped tobacco liquids ("NETs") from virtually every online vendor that offers them.

That's great info thanks Mr Mann. I still don't fully understand what NET is. Naturally Extracted Tobacco? Does that mean there is still some element of harmful tobacco in the liquids? I googled this but got even more confused lol.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
When I first started vaping, I became obsessed with purchasing different flavors and would watch reviews thinking this would help me.
I currently have a very large collection of assorted flavors from different vendors. I do think that this quest for juice was part of my quitting smoking journey and helped distract me from the fact that I wasn't smoking.

What I personally learned was that a juice could have rave reviews and I would hate it and one that no one was reviewing or talking about....I loved it. It really is so personal, I learned that just because I like to eat something (chocolate) doesn't mean I like to vape it.
I do find relying on advice for quality and customer service of a juice or vendor is extremely helpful, but for flavors....I'm on my own. :)

I have now narrowed it down to several reliable and good quality vendors and just a few flavors that I know I will vape. However my large collection is not going to waste, as more of my friends are taking up vaping, I am happy for them to come over and give them a try and to take any of them that I do not like.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
That's great info thanks Mr Mann. I still don't fully understand what NET is. Naturally Extracted Tobacco? Does that mean there is still some element of harmful tobacco in the liquids? I googled this but got even more confused lol.

It's tricky. In some instances, yes, there may be trace contaminants, but in other instances, no. WHen will it be, when won't it be? Dunno. Fact is that vaping falls under the realm of harm reduction. No matter how you slice it, you're greatly reducing the harm that you otherwise would be exposed to if still smoking. That said, many supposed artificial tobacco liquids contain tobacco absolute which in and of itself comes from tobacco.

I have run the gamut of so many tobacco liquids that it makes my head hurt. That said, and after all of my searching, I've had to come to terms with the fact that I will always keep a bottle of Dekang DK-Tab. I get 100 mL bottles for around $14-15. So, in the end, sometimes packaging and sales pitches don't amount to what is most enjoyable for you to vape.

p.s. Dekang uses tobacco for flavoring in their tobacco liquids, but not a simple maceration process.

Last edited:

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD

Bugatti Veyron, to save time on my 10 trips to the bank each day - thank you very much

Just joking, my Yugo will get upset

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
I do think that this quest for juice was part of my quitting smoking journey and helped distract me from the fact that I wasn't smoking.

You nailed it completely right there. I was on a mad quest for 'the' flavour when I first started. The excitement of discovering vaping as an alternative to smoking really is quite overwhelming. Obviously the DIY contingent will get closer to the perfect flavour than anyone who buys premade but the temptation try 'everything' is always there lol.

Ditto with equipment. The more you try, the more you want. It's a very worthwhile distraction from something that's bad that we all walked away from. I was just saying I would prefer if it was easier to test drive some of the more expensive stuff. Maybe some day soon it will be :)

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The trick for me was to find 3 or 4 favorites and then buy large quantities of those. Then shop around and get 3-5 ml sample sizes of juices that looked intriguing. That way, if it was really nasty, you're not out a large quantity and don't feel so bad when that 3ml bottle gets pitched into the trash. :)

I now have a nice list of juices I really like and tend to stick with those. Every now and then, something will catch my eye and I'll get a sample (if one's available) and try it out. If it's good, it goes on the list.

Last edited:

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I've found that after 9 months of Vapeing I like dozens of liquids, so I don't bother looking for that ADV, couldn't care less about it.

I'm just enjoying the buy, and the fact I have many many more choices then with smokes.

I constantly Vape 6-8 flavors each day, most times take a Vape of Boba then a Vape of Voodoo, then a Vape of Dustys Blend then a Vape of Dekang root beer then a Vape of wild berry blast etc etc etc. love the choices.

As far as pricing if I like it or not I'll pay to purchase it, and at 15 bucks a week compared to 15 bucks a day.....

DustyZ

Suspended
Jul 5, 2013
Ocala, FL, USA
I have not at this point been convinced that the so called Premium or Gourmet Juices any better the most of the main stream juices, now granted there are a few that can be stand out, however if the flavors are not being extracted or processed by a proprietary method of a singular vendor I don't buy into the hype, I have tried the most touted Premium or Gourmet juices to be any better then some of them that cost 1/2 of what those vendors are wanting. What I have seen is the fancy bottles, droppers, packaging etc. I don't vape the packaging etc, I want the juice. Now everyone's tastes are subjective and everyone has their favorite vendors etc. But all I have actually seen at this point is the "What the market will bear" scenario. There are some other factors that can come into play, being what suppliers the vendors use for the flavors, PG and VG, etc. So this also can lead to variations in the quality of the end product. The other factor is the skill of the mixologist etc. It's still a very young industry and there is lots of room for improvement, testing, stability and so on.

Do I think that are juices out there that are worth what a good bottle of wine would cost, NO, not at this stage. Again, this is all very, very subjective. The best juices there are, are the ones that you enjoy, if you like a juice that cost $30.00 for 15ml or $5.00 for the same amount, well it's what you like, doesn't mean that someone else is going to like it. This is just another customer preference, in the same vane as restaurants etc.

Silent Scream

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Aylesbury
The trick for me was to find 3 or 4 favorites and then buy large quantities of those. Then shop around and get 3-5 ml sample sizes of juices that looked intriguing. That way, if it was really nasty, you're not out a large quantity and don't feel so bad when that 3ml bottle gets pitched into the trash. :)

I now have a nice list of juices I really like and tend to stick with those. Every now and then, something will catch my eye and I'll get a sample (if one's available) and try it out. If it's good, it goes on the list.

I have a couple I really like that I buy in quantity. But there are hundreds out there, and some vendors I suppose you could call them the elite charge a lot just to try them. My problems is I want to try 'everything' so it really is just my problem :)

I've found that after 9 months of Vapeing I like dozens of liquids, so I don't bother looking for that ADV, couldn't care less about it.

I'm just enjoying the buy, and the fact I have many many more choices then with smokes.

I constantly Vape 6-8 flavors each day, most times take a Vape of Boba then a Vape of Voodoo, then a Vape of Dustys Blend then a Vape of Dekang root beer then a Vape of wild berry blast etc etc etc. love the choices.

As far as pricing if I like it or not I'll pay to purchase it, and at 15 bucks a week compared to 15 bucks a day.....

I've given up on ADV though I have a few I always return to. It's still weird to me that the USA Mix (Marlborough Lights?) never ever lets me down and it was the first one I tried. Mr Mann has sent me down a path with new info for tobacco type liquids so new realms of discovery open there.

I don't have shinyitis like a lot of people. I haven't even properly got into mods but I am totally suffering from liquiditus a lesser known malady which is not mentioned often enough in vaping circles for my liking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread