Juice, steeping, and the industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trips1103

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
North Carolina
I've been wondering for a while why some juice needs to be steeped, while others do not. At first I thought it was because of the freshness of the product, but I can't imagine that to be the only reason. Some juices I get freshly made don't need to be steeped at all.

I can't put my finger on it. Is it specific flavors? Is it tobacco based flavors, and if so, why? What actually happens during the steeping process? (other than obviously letting it sit for a while).

Also ... are there any industry guidelines as to how long a juice's shelf life is? Is there, or should there be, a "use prior to X date for best results"?

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Some juice is premade. You just select from a few nicotine strengths. Some juice where you pick pg/vg ratio and nicotine strength are made to order. Those juice usually do need to steep for all of the flavoring to come out. You'll even notice that yourself if you do some DIY.

Probably the more complex flavors, probably nicotine flavors benefit the most from steeping. Sort of like fine wine!

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
In my limited experience I found that higher PG juices benefit more from steeping than higher VG juices.

My experience has been that VG based juices need more initial steeping time, that is, the steeping which begins immediately after mixing.

Juices with complex flavoring seem to need the most time before the taste stabilizes.

Trips1103

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
North Carolina
Confusing, eh? lol

My go-to juice is Bloog's SPI. It is a complex juice. I still can't figure out what's in it exactly. But considering Bloog is a larger company I'm sure they have plenty of their juices shelved in advance for convenience.

I have to agree with regard to tobacco based juices. It seems they do need time for the flavors to mix accordingly. That itself would make sense since the end result is a blend of several flavors, rather than one flavor alone.

\9/ghI wish I could re-create this process somehow to decrease the time needed to steep. I really want to use these Vermillion River tobacco juices that smell so damn good! They're just not ready yet.

leBEEF

Jan 18, 2012
Worcester, MA
All of my favorite juices were great the day I got them. Most juices that I didn't like when I first got them never got any better by aging.

I'm in my 3rd week off analogs so I'm trying a lot of different things out, and I have this notion in my head that steeping will make certain things better, but it never does.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
All of my favorite juices were great the day I got them. Most juices that I didn't like when I first got them never got any better by aging.

That's because you mostly vape chinese juices, correct? They don't really need to steep. Or they have been steeped by the time you get them. One chinese juice I like is the same way.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
That's because you mostly vape chinese juices, correct? They don't really need to steep. Or they have been steeped by the time you get them. One chinese juice I like is the same way.

My faves are Bounty Hunter, Renegade, and Vanilla Strait by Nite Lite Vapor. Two of my other faves are Chinese - Dekang Tab and RY4. None need to steep.

Trips1103

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
North Carolina
Steeping tip!

*Heating the juice*

I just tried this with Vermillion River juices because they sent their samples in small glass bottles. Steeping has worked for me in the past (Freedom Smoke's Wyatt Earp comes to mind), so I've been waiting on these little juices, confident that the slight perfume taste on their Kentucky Blends would warm away into a succulent little vape. Tired of waiting, I decided to heat each of their small sample bottles for a few seconds until hot (hot, but not scorching or boiling hot), and left them uncovered for an hour or so. Then I repeated the process one time.

The juice definitely changed. Their strong fragrance went away, but the juices mellowed down into each delicious little blend.

I was surprised that it worked, but I thought the heat may work to blend the juices further, possibly evaporating what didn't need to be there.

I'm not sure how one would go about doing this with plastic bottles. I have no idea what plastic bottles may be microwave safe, but my guess is that most are not.

I was happy this worked, and perhaps it will work for someone else. Hopefully it does.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
In my limited experience I found that higher PG juices benefit more from steeping than higher VG juices. Almost all of the flavors that I didn't like right away never got any better with a few notable exceptions. Many good juices got better with steeping. Some flavors co-mingle and become more developed.

hmmmm .... I DIY and I find that flavoring takes longer to develop in VG than they do in PG, which would make sense considering VG is far more viscous than PG.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Steeping tip!

*Heating the juice*

I just tried this with Vermillion River juices because they sent their samples in small glass bottles. Steeping has worked for me in the past (Freedom Smoke's Wyatt Earp comes to mind), so I've been waiting on these little juices, confident that the slight perfume taste on their Kentucky Blends would warm away into a succulent little vape. Tired of waiting, I decided to heat each of their small sample bottles for a few seconds until hot (hot, but not scorching or boiling hot), and left them uncovered for an hour or so. Then I repeated the process one time.

The juice definitely changed. Their strong fragrance went away, but the juices mellowed down into each delicious little blend.

I was surprised that it worked, but I thought the heat may work to blend the juices further, possibly evaporating what didn't need to be there.

I'm not sure how one would go about doing this with plastic bottles. I have no idea what plastic bottles may be microwave safe, but my guess is that most are not.

I was happy this worked, and perhaps it will work for someone else. Hopefully it does.

I've done it and it does work. Seems to speed up the steeping process. Thicker juices seem to become a bit thinner too.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
My faves are Bounty Hunter, Renegade, and Vanilla Strait by Nite Lite Vapor. Two of my other faves are Chinese - Dekang Tab and RY4. None need to steep.

You might like them right out of the bottle. My mom likes BWB as soon as she gets it. That doesn't mean that they don't change as they steep.

Some juices like the dekang aren't made to order. I'm sure they're already steeped many times over by the time you get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread