The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Juice turns brown ???

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by robtest, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. robtest

robtest Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2012
    atlanta, ga metro area
    :blink:

So I have a lil 18650 ego clone mod with a clearomizer (<2ml capacity) on the top. When I bought it, I got some cranberry/pomegranite (red) ejuice as well as some menthol(clear)... They were both from the same place and a 30pg/70vg mix. I also ordered another mint/menthol (clear), which is a 50/50 mix. I am a light vaper (?) and only vape about 1-1.5ml / day, so every day, I have been coming in and putting a new eye dropper of ejuice in the clearomizer to top it off.

Started off with just the red, next day added clear from same place, then added some clear from other place last night... This afternoon, I realized that my juice is brown ...

It still tastes about the same, but wondering ... ... Has anyone else had this or could explain it please? :facepalm:

Thanks in Advance...

Also, any quick tips on cleaning the clearomizer?

2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    E-juice will normally darken some as it matures. Also, as you refill a tank of juice, the parts of the juice that does not become vaporized remains in the tank, and becomes more concentrated over time, and this concentration of unvaporized particles makes the juice appear darker. If it becomes too dark, its probably a sign that its time to dispose of it, clean the tank, and fill with more juice.

I merely rinse a clearomizer under tap water, blow out and shake out the excess, and allow to completely dry.

3. robtest

Oct 14, 2012
    atlanta, ga metro area
    Thanks for the quick reply... I guess I am probably not gonna die then!!! :p

Explained like that it makes perfect sense that it should be brown...

4. Robino1

Robino1 Resting in Peace ECF Veteran

Also when juices are first made they are lighter in color. Some need to steep to get the true flavor of them. As they steep, they will darken some too. Steeping is usually needed when you get sizes that are not sample sizes. Sample sizes have usually been sitting around long enough to have already gone through the steeping process.

To steep you remove the cap and the drip tip from the bottle. Keep the top off for a couple of days (shake once in a while). Put caps back on and let sit for a few more days. What that does is to let the alcohol evaporate out. Yes some flavors will get stronger but most of the time, when you have more complex flavors, it gives the different flavors time to intermingle (marry in the cooking world).

If you can imagine a food that you like better as a leftover, that is basically the same idea.

Hope this helps. :)

5. kuiponen

kuiponen Full Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Finland
    Like people said before, the darkening of the e-juices seem to be quite normal. I quess it depends a little on the flavourings and nicotine base used - and also whether letting the juices be in daylight or not. With some e-juices this darkening process just seems to happen more quickly than with others. For example, the PSV French Vanilla and Jane's Wild Juices tend to darken quite soon when exposed to daylight. At the same time, ENjuice Blackcurrant seems to stay clear all the time.

6. robtest

Oct 14, 2012
    atlanta, ga metro area
    Thanks for the tip on "steeping" ... My two flavors from the same place were actually made for me on the spot, so they were a fresh mix ... I will give this a try ...

7. beeryeennn

beeryeennn Moved On

Oct 18, 2012
    California
    that is strange that it turned brown though. lol at least it still tastes the same!

8. mollymoe
    This message by mollymoe has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Oct 19, 2012.
    Oct 19, 2012
  9. michliu

michliu Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Another factor, as it has been explained to me, is that as you vape the juice in the tank, the heated or burnt juice mingles back into the tank making the juice darker. It also gets thicker as the lighter elements of the juice get vaped off. I don't understand it either, but it seems to make sense. I actually liked the vape better as I get to the bottom of the tank, especially with juices the have more PG and nicotine, since there is less of a throat hit and tastes sweeter to me. I vape until it tastes bad and then clean out the tank.

10. robtest

Oct 14, 2012
    atlanta, ga metro area
    So I cleaned the clearomizer out with water... NOTE: water has much higher viscocity(sp?) than e-juice and flows right through the hole in the bottom so don't be idiot boy like me and try and see what vaporized water is like as it will water your battery...

But anywho, after getting it all cleaned out, it worked on my lil ego-t 18650 mod for a bit, and then just stopped working... I swapped to a new clearomizer, and that seems to work fine on the battery... Odd... and odder still is that the "cleaned" clearomizer works fine on my VV mod set at 4.0v and even 3.5v, even though it won't work on the clone with a fresh battery, and on the higher voltage settings... :facepalm:

11. XfooYen

XfooYen Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2012
    SoCal
    To my understanding, all organic particles without the addition of preservative or stabilizer will turn brown over time. Normal oxidation of particulate matter. The taste won't change. Just like cut apples and avocados left in the air. No harm.

12. mapo

mapo Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Tacoma, Washington
    i have found its best for me to run the tank empty than to keep topping off, juice seems to thicken over time as the thinner parts of the juice are wicked off. i also clean the tanks after by soaking in vodka for 30 minutes.

13. juicejunky

juicejunky Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2011
    gone
    Heat turns juice brown, some faster than others. The juice in the tank gets heated by the atomizer, so you get brown juice eventually. Brown juice will have less flavor and will lower the nicotine content.

Normal steeped juice at room temperature just gets more golden, orange, etc., not brown unless it is coffee or something similar.

Topping off is probably a bad idea if your juice is brown.

14. UKGingerBread

UKGingerBread Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    UK
    Food goes brown through 1 of 2 reactions over time. Oxidation (caused by a substance called polyphenol oxidase reacting with oxygen present in air) and caramelisation. (caused when a heat source breaks apart starches into simpler sugars, which are cooked. Different sugars caramelise at different temperatures, fructose caramelises at 110C, glucose and sucrose at 160C. This cooks the sugar causing it to have a bitter taste rather than a sweet taste, and causes it to go brown (amongst other things). It's caramelisation that's the reason your toast goes brown in a toaster, or your steak turns brown on a hot grill.

Atomisers get to ~250C, and depending on what exactly is in the juice you are vaping both oxidation and caramelisation can occur, which over time will turn your juice brown.

15. dsy5

dsy5 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    New York
    Especially if you use a Genesis-style atomizer. I can rinse out my tank, but if I don't clean the ss wick, you can see the brown start to collect at the bottom of the tank near the wick. This is due to carbonization of the juice by the intense heat produced by the coil.

16. intervention

intervention Full Member Verified Member

May 30, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for your input; very helpful!

17. DoNgZzZ

DoNgZzZ Full Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Singapore
    Heard it has something to do with contact with oxygen

18. robtest

Oct 14, 2012
    atlanta, ga metro area
    I had my second batch turn brown today... Seems to happen at work, when I keep the unit in my inside coat pocket... Perhaps getting the body heat all day does it ??? I pondered it might be sunlight, but over the weekend, I rode my convertable 40 minutes each way over to an e-cig store on a sunny day and it didn't do it...

CE4 type cartomizer needs more voltage to work after a week ??? :facepalm:

View attachment 144823

I started with an 18650 ego-t clone and a couple weeks later bought a VV Lambo 4. The clone came with a CE4 type cartomizer and I bought a couple more when I got the Lambo. Last week, I had the original clone's CE4 just stop working on it. I tried a new battery, but it didn't help. It just doesn't work on the clone anymore. However, if I move it over to the Lambo, it works just fine at 4.0v and higher. Thought I just had a bad one and being a $5 item, didn't think much about it. But today, I had it happen to a second one. Same symptoms, just won't work on the clone, even on the highest setting, but swap it over to the Lambo on 4.0v+ and it works like a breeze. Neither one seems to work on the Lambo at under 4.0v btw... I probably cycled about 10ml of juice through both of them before this happened...

Is this just the way they are? Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I am just missing the thread that explains this?

Thanks in Advance for any help!

19. dsy5

Nov 18, 2010
    New York
    Nicotine juice will, in general, 'tan' with exposure to oxygen. Kind of similar to the rusting of metal. It should not turn brown, though. This browning is usually due to heat or the flavor additives, not the reaction of nicotine to oxygen.

20. dsy5

Nov 18, 2010
    New York
    Could be that the coil has gotten gunked up and will only produce vapor at a higher voltage/current/wattage. Did you vape with it constantly?

21. dsnrj

dsnrj Senior Member Verified Member

put the pieces under water, and shake to remove the juice of the wicks, then do a quick drain and let dry ... ...
    when it is too steeped in juice, use PG .. and water.
    on the liquid changes color, accept all, must be because of the maturity and exposed to light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.