Juice turns to sludge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoggot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
United States
I've been using a mix of three juices - caramel coffee in an 80vg/20pg mix, salted caramel at 30vg/70pg, and maple pecan at 30vg/70pg, at a ratio of 6 parts caramel coffee to 2 parts maple pecan to 1 part salted caramel. All juices are from Mt. Baker Vapor, all are 36 nic.

Issue is this: the start of a tankful is delightful deliciousness - but by the end of the tank, or perhaps 2/3rds done, what remains in the tank, instead of being a dark amber, is instead a black sludge; and it starts tasting worse. The notes from the original flavor are still there, and it's not a burnt taste, but it's far more muted.

I've tried to isolate the problem; I've done this with pyrex tanks and plastic, I've used silica / ekowool wicks, ss mesh, ss mesh wrapped around silica, ss rope, ekowool wrapped around ss rope, and ceramic rods. No matter what, this happens, and I'm starting to think this may be a sedimentation of something in the juices that just happens within the course of a tankful.

Of possible note, is that this mix will gunk upthe coil on an ekowool or silica wick within a tankful - to a lesser degree the same for ceramic rod. It doesn't seem to gunk up the coil when used with ss mesh.

Has this been observed elsewhere? Are my favorite flavors doomed to have me cleaning out the tank after every 2/3rds of a tank, and wasting 1/3rd of the delicious juice? (Given MBV's prices, that's not a horrible thing regarding the wastage, but the labor of continual tank cleanouts is an annoyance).

JRudey

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Twin Cities
Issue is this: the start of a tankful is delightful deliciousness - but by the end of the tank, or perhaps 2/3rds done, what remains in the tank, instead of being a dark amber, is instead a black sludge; and it starts tasting worse. The notes from the original flavor are still there, and it's not a burnt taste, but it's far more muted.

Same thing happens to me. I just don't throw away the dark stuff. I mix it with other flavors. I pretty much do what you do. But, once it gets dark I pour the juice into a dump bottle and clean the clearomizer. I keep about 10 clearomizers in rotation, so it's done in a batch process.

shoggot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
United States
I looked at my girlfriends juice bottle and it looked like a Lava Lamp. I don't know what was growing in there but I told her I would throw it out. It was only a 10ml bottle. I would have strained it if it had been a bigger bottle. Never did figure out what it was.:confused:

I'm working with juice out of their big bottles - something like 180ml? 200? Anyway, big, almost a coke can - and the problem doesn't present itself there; the juices are all homogenic in appearance. I pre-mix the batches of my mix days / weeks in advance, long clear test tubes (they're cheap, and racks are cheap, so...) - and the juice stays un-gunky in the tubes, it's really only during vaping that I'm getting this.

I guess my next step is to try each of the component juices to see if it's specific to one of 'em, and then try to work that out of the recipe somehow. An issue is that I don't actually like any of the components on their own, argh =( The things I do in the strive for perfection.

EDIT: So, interesting thing / thought: I'm using a genny-style rba; it's pretty much all I use. And I just looked at the tank right after a vape - not something I commonly do. And I noticed that it was essentially opaque - the liquid, but the rest of the tank as well - white. IE, filled with vapor - confirmed by drawing on it without firing it, cleared the tank. So now I'm wondering if it isn't condensing vapor causing this.

I'm also wondering how the heck it's getting in there =) with the exception of the ceramic rod, I generally don't have much play around the wick at the wick hole. There's enough clearance that I'm not choking the wick, but if I draw the wick out of the hole (without a coil in place), it'll still stand where I leave it.

Guess a solution might be to switch over to either an oddy or ithaka.

Last edited:

Puff Vader

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Camby, IN 46113
I would guess the thinner liquid pg is traveling up the wick and the thicker vg and some coloring is left behind. Since the pg carriers more flavor and the vg does not that would explain the taste. Since the vg is thicker it would sludge up more. If you have a bottom coil clearo you might try that as a test since there in nothing to climb up.

Last edited:

desmondsg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
LOS
I leave my juice infront of my monitor and my aircon blows at it directly during night time when i sleep. Im having loss of flavor for all my juices now after about roughly 2 weeks. Tried cleaning my clearos, dry burn, cleaned again then vape but still no flavor. Is it because of the light from my monitor or the cold air temperature or am i having the vapors tongue?

Flavors include Watermelon, Coke, Vanilla. The watermelon is the one i like best at first, but total lost of flavor about 5mls after.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Vaper's tongue happens. I switch up regularly during the say for that reason. I also find that going between mildly and strongly flavored juices helps. The darkness may be being caused by running your juices too hot. I find if I stick to 8 watts, they don't darken. I use cartomizers though. Good luck and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread