Jury Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
Ok, so today I received an Official Jury Summons in the mail. I have to appear next month for jury selection.

The summons states that I will be required to pass through a security system upon entering the building.

Basically, IIRC, it is just a metal detector. I'm wondering what they are going to say when they find my Ego. Will they confiscate it? Will they let me in with?

Obviously there is no smoking allowed in the Criminal Justice Center, but last time they let me take my cigs and lighter in.

I could just leave the PV in my truck, but the parking is over 2 blocks away and they usually only give a 15 minute break, so time is the limiting factor there.

Just wondering what others have experienced. I live in Willamson County, but would welcome comments from anyone.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I just finished 3 months of jury duty in Ky. Had no problem taking 2 Egos in. They did pull the bottle of juice I had in my purse out though. But once they read the label they dropped it in the purse and handed it back to me. I don't like strange hands pawing my juice bottle though. So after that happened I just kept the juice in my pocket and trotted through the metal detector that way.

Sandrita

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Well I cant speak from experience but what I would suggest is just coming clean with the guys at security by showing them your ego and explaining what it is. If they won't let you in with it ask them if there is somewhere you can store or if they can hold it in their office area until your break time.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Since my post on 5/2/11 I have been called for Jury Duty. What's the odds on that. Been several years since I last served.
Served 1 day yesterday. Had to go through the Magnetometer 3 times during the course of the day. The second time through the guard pointed to my eGo that I placed in the basket and asked "What's This" as his eyes widened. Can't believe with all the people he must have seen that he has not come across one yet. It was a good idea NOT to bring my Pipe bomb looking mod. Once I explained, he passed me through with no problem.

DerekUrban

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
It kind of depends on your particular County and if whoever is running the metal detector is having a day, but I go into the courthouse anywhere from 3 to 15 times a week for my job, and have never had any trouble. Just put it in the bucket with your change/phone/glasses/whatever and if they inquire about it, tell them. 99% of the time the Officers running that really don't care about anything but weapons, and it's easy to see a PV isn't a weapon.

That being said, don't vape in the Courtroom or the Judges Chambers, Judges go by an entirely different mentality than the rest of the world and if they perceive you as disrespecting their area or trying to "Get around the rules," they will make your time there VERY uncomfortable.

DivisionMatrix

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I was on jury duty for 4 days a couple weeks ago. The security people were very nice, they just asked what it was and once I told them said ok. (+1 for leaving any crazy mods at home, just took my ego) I would recommend some discretion on where in the courthouse you vape though, the only place I did openly was in the jury-cave after asking the other jurors if it was ok. Overall, no problems though.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I received jury duty summons. Reported to the Jefferson County Court House Complex. Went through security with 45/50 other potential jurrors. Split us into 4 groups, I ended up in group 4. Called groups 1 through 3. My group sat there for a couple hours. All the while I sat watching a guy suck on a "look-a-like" while reading a paperback novel, and expelling a very slight wisp of what appeared to be smoke. Then, some guy entered the room and announced, "Group 4 is dismissed, your trial has been cancelled and rescheduled for a future date". The "smoker" dude was out the door and through security like a shot. I cleared security as quickly as I could and ran to the parking lot, and reached his car just as he was entering it. I hailed him. Ask him what's that thing you're a sucking on. He took 5 minutes and explained it too me. There you have it, (finally), my introduction to personal vaporizer's. Afore this, I'd not seen, nor even heard of um. My lucky day, no jury and introduced to vaping.

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
If you do not want to serve on as jury, preface all answers with "According to the prophecy..."

Yeah, unless you live in Utah.

I had my call last week to criminal court and left my PV in the truck, but luckily our group got dismissed after only 3 hours of standing around in the hall. That first hit on my Reo was awesome!

Now, I have another call to duty coming this week (wtf up with that? - in municipal court) so, I dunno if I'll try to bring an eGo and stealth in the restroom.
If I tell the scanner guard it's a pv, he'll probably grill/admonish me for bringing it. OTOH, if I say it's an e-cig, he'll probably say you can't do that in here.
That's why I'll probably just avoid it and bring a nico-lozenge instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread