Just built my first coil! Kayfun 3.1 clone. Dual parallel 28ga kanthal @ 0.8 ohm. LOVE IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Right on, I think I am going to try this next time I wrap a coil on my kayfun. It looked like it was more complex almost like wrapping a mini coil then making a bigger one on the outside, but wrapping 2 strands together doesn't seem so bad.

I think the chimney coil is one of my next experiments too. This is why I love vaping, there seems to be no end to all the things you can do.

I want to try a chimney as well some time. Need some more RDA's and RBA's for all of these coils to go into!!! I agree, vaping has went from a way to quit analogs to a full on hobby for me. The act of vaping is just a small part of the hobby. I find myself not vaping so that I can research or build something instead.

Oh, one other thing. When you do a parallel, does the impedance drop in half as it would with a dual coil RDA? I am trying to figure how many wraps I need and I can't go too low as my MVP only handles down to .8..

I haven't done the tests but Riptrippers did this

24ga single coil @ 8 wraps 1/8" = 0.8 ohm
24ga single coil @ 4 wraps 1/8" = 0.5 ohm
24ga dual parallel coil @ 4 wraps (8 total wraps) 1/8" = 0.25 ohm

So it looks like FFPetz is right and the answer is yes.

I'm at 0.776 ohm with my build. If I were you I'd try 30ga since it heats up so fast and you have the luxury of VV. I use a mech mod so I wanted the low resistance. There's no need for you to cut it close on your MVP.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
I want to try a chimney as well some time. Need some more RDA's and RBA's for all of these coils to go into!!! I agree, vaping has went from a way to quit analogs to a full on hobby for me. The act of vaping is just a small part of the hobby. I find myself not vaping so that I can research or build something instead.

I haven't done the tests but Riptrippers did this

24ga single coil @ 8 wraps 1/8" = 0.8 ohm
24ga single coil @ 4 wraps 1/8" = 0.5 ohm
24ga dual parallel coil @ 4 wraps (8 total wraps) 1/8" = 0.25 ohm

So it looks like FFPetz is right and the answer is yes.

I'm at 0.776 ohm with my build. If I were you I'd try 30ga since it heats up so fast and you have the luxury of VV. I use a mech mod so I wanted the low resistance. There's no need for you to cut it close on your MVP.

That's what I was thinking. I would try to get it around 1.8 but use the advantage of the quick heating.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
I just built my first parallel coil! 30g 10 wraps 1.4ohm.. I like it and it does seem to enhance flavor but I must have done something wrong because it heats up extremely slowly, it takes a good 3-4 seconds of holding the fire button for it to turn red at 11watts. Maybe I messed up, not sure but I will say flavor is off the charts with it, just not a huge amount of vapor because it haats so slowly.. I may have to try that again.

Last edited:

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
I just built my first parallel coil! 30g 10 wraps 1.4ohm.. I like it and it does seem to enhance flavor but I must have done something wrong because it heats up extremely slowly, it takes a good 3-4 seconds of holding the fire button for it to turn red at 11watts. Maybe I messed up, not sure but I will say flavor is off the charts with it, just not a huge amount of vapor because it haats so slowly.. I may have to try that again.
Weird. Is 11W what you're used to? I run mine around 20W on my mech mod. 10 wraps is a pretty big coil but not that much bigger than mine plus the wire is smaller. It should work better than that. Try a higher wattage? Do you have ceramic tipped tweezers to squeeze the coil with? I don't know how people make coils without them. Also, maybe the connection at one of the screws isn't 100%? Not sure whats wrong of course, just spitballing some stuff.

Sorry your first outing with a parallel didn't knock your socks off. I had a similar experience with a vertical coil in a RDA last night. Hardly worked at all. :-/ I guess Primus was right, they can't all be zingers.

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
Weird. Is 11W what you're used to? I run mine around 20W on my mech mod. 10 wraps is a pretty big coil but not that much bigger than mine plus the wire is smaller. It should work better than that. Try a higher wattage? Do you have ceramic tipped tweezers to squeeze the coil with? I don't know how people make coils without them. Also, maybe the connection at one of the screws isn't 100%? Not sure whats wrong of course, just spitballing some stuff.

Sorry your first outing with a parallel didn't knock your socks off. I had a similar experience with a vertical coil in a RDA last night. Hardly worked at all. :-/ I guess Primus was right, they can't all be zingers.

11 is all I've got, I'm running an MPV for now but I have a mech that's supposed to be in the mail tomorrow. 10 wraps is a lot but I was shooting for mid 1ohm which I got. I think the posts are pretty good on it because I twisted the ends and they are tucked under both screws securely. I am getting good vape and flavor from it but it's just not that much better than a single so I don't think it's worth the effort, at least not on this mod.

As far as tweezers I don't have them yet, generally I will just heat it on the mod and as soon as I let go of the fire button I will squeeze with pliers but for this one I wrapped the coil and then squeezed it with the pliers while using a torch to heat it. This method worked much better than I thought it would as the coil is very tight and even.

The experience wasn't all bad but just not what I was hoping for, I will toss this on the mech when I get it and see what it's really made of..

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
11 is all I've got, I'm running an MPV for now but I have a mech that's supposed to be in the mail tomorrow. 10 wraps is a lot but I was shooting for mid 1ohm which I got. I think the posts are pretty good on it because I twisted the ends and they are tucked under both screws securely. I am getting good vape and flavor from it but it's just not that much better than a single so I don't think it's worth the effort, at least not on this mod.

As far as tweezers I don't have them yet, generally I will just heat it on the mod and as soon as I let go of the fire button I will squeeze with pliers but for this one I wrapped the coil and then squeezed it with the pliers while using a torch to heat it. This method worked much better than I thought it would as the coil is very tight and even.

The experience wasn't all bad but just not what I was hoping for, I will toss this on the mech when I get it and see what it's really made of..

Ah, I see. I'm a big fan of the mech mod. I have 2 and building a 3rd. I hope you like it. If the KF is still not putting out the vapor like you want, drop your resistance down to 1.0 or so and see how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread