Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
As a proud owner of 7 Reo products (and at at least that many of self-built non-Reo mods, at varying stages of completeness, however all bf's), I'm proud to be a member of the Reoville faithful.

Having said that, there's been a number of non Reo bf's posted here as of late, and depending on who's on during that post, it could be well received OR it's a flame fest :facepalm:

I've posted a few mods myself here but my rational has always been, is the mod in the Reo tradition? (it compliments as opposed to sullies)...does it lend to creating ideas that could be transferred to Reo's (aka, "wish list" for Rob to ponder) and most importantly, it must be a one-off i.e. will never be in conflict with Reo's sales...

If I can answer "yes" to all of those questions I post it here...I've yet to get flamed out but that could be because peeps kinda know me now, I try and help out when I can, I'm a never ending well of unsolicited advice (some of which may actually be helpful) and I've been told by most friends and loved ones that I'm fairly "tolerable".

But there's always been this "gray zone" of whether peeps can post their creations that meet the above criteria...so I thought, why not just ask the question, wet-finger the Reoville sky if you will.

What do you all think?...maybe create a rule (and a thread) called "Post your self built Reo-like creations here"

Yes = go for it
No = go post your crap over in "Battery Mods"

p.s....I try to avoid "Battery Mods", I swear if I see one more butchered fastech box Hana knock-off dripper I'm gonna barf. There's some serious talent over there but most times it's a sandbox the cat has discovered.

Shout out peeps...

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Quigs I think that if we do any mods to an actual Reo it will be always well received here by fellow Reonauts but I'm not so sure about other BFer designs outside the Reo realm. As people have stated, and I fully agree this is Rob's home so I think that needs to be respected. My personal belief is that other designs should really be posted under the battery mod subforum or better still ask the moderators to create a new subforum in modding dedicated to Bottom Feeders.

Since this is Rob's place I think it's only fair to let Rob decide what he wants to see on his forum

Docsgt68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I do hear your rationale quigs, I love seeing the nice bf creations out there, especially because if I was to ever try and tackle the idea I don't know that I'd waste my time on top feed, I also hate wading through battery mods, I applaud people for attempting, but a lot of it, whether good or bad, is just kind of the same. I don't know that I've been around here long enough to have a solid opinion/vote on Yay or nay, but i feel like there's a lot of potential to be ill received as the spirit of reoville is about the Reo, maybe it'll be ok, but if not you could take a shot with turbocad and the capt at a quality bf only thread in the modding forum. Just a thought.

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
Quigs I think that if we do any mods to an actual Reo it will be always well received here by fellow Reonauts but I'm not so sure about other BFer designs outside the Reo realm. As people have stated, and I fully agree this is Rob's home so I think that needs to be respected. My personal belief is that other designs should really be posted under the battery mod subforum or better still ask the moderators to create a new subforum in modding dedicated to Bottom Feeders.

Since this is Rob's place I think it's only fair to let Rob decide what he wants to see on his forum

I think CaptSteve has summarized the way I feel very well. Just saying!!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Love the creations TC6, CaptSteve, and yourself have made lately, but I would tend to lean towards this being an REO forum and only REO devices posted here. I cringe sometimes when there are atty threads and posts sometimes that are not of the RM variety. I am guilty of the later and as of late, I am trying to not so it so often... Then again, I don't actually own any of the RM variety atty's so any pic of my grands here in REOville, I tend to cringe...

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
The reason I haven't posted on the battery forum is that most folks there aren't interested in what we do. It's more about building a Hammond box that has the power to supply the whole neighbourhood or the proverbial Hana style square box of electronics. No disrespect to folks who are into that thing but I fear we have little common ground. This is the reason I proposed to ask the moderators if we can have a BF modding subforum.

Whatever I make I always vape one of my Reo's in the process :vapor:

Last edited:

SITS

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Reoville
I certainly wouldn't begin to speak for Robert but I think you put him in a awkward situation asking his permission to post non REO products in his forum. If he says no he risks possibly upsetting some of his own customers, if he says yes, then he is forced to watch/see postings about products he doesn't sell. It's his forum, I would post them somewhere else. Just my 2 cents.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
I certainly wouldn't begin to speak for Robert but I think you put him in a awkward situation asking his permission to post non REO products in his forum. If he says no he risks possibly upsetting some of his own customers, if he says yes, then he is forced to watch/see postings about products he doesn't sell. It's his forum, I would post them somewhere else. Just my 2 cents.

Very valid point which I didn't think of, my above post is edited accordingly. Thank you for pointing it out

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
The reason I haven't posted on the battery forum is that most folks there aren't interested in what we do. It's more about building a Hammond box that has the power to supply the whole neighbourhood or the proverbial Hana style square box of electronics. No disrespect to folks who are into that thing but I fear we have little common ground. This is the reason I proposed to ask the moderators if we can have a BF modding subforum if Rob won't agree to have us posting stuff here.

Whatever I make I always vape one of my Reo's in the process :vapor:

"Whatever I make I always vape one of my Reo's in the process"...I'll admit to on several occasions to taking a frustrated lung full from one of my Grands while looking at my current Frankenstein laying on the table saying to myself..."see?...this is what you're supposed to do!...what is your problem?...you're 5 mins from returning to the pile of spare parts of which you were born!...in fact, no excesses, most of the spare parts I bought off Res Mods"

I can agree to that, and I think there's value in having it separated, yet still within the greater community, if the moderators would make us a new subforum, that would work...I think it would be nice (and helpful) if Rob (and the moderators) would consider allowing it to be "stickied" in the root of Roes Mods...after all, the Reo is pretty much the epoch of bf mods...to blend it in with the general "Batt." modding section, it would only get lost in the moray of "other" gear...and even worse...and how do I tactfully say this, avoid the pitfalls of bf interested peeps taking advice from the mall rat/cloud chasers. I have difficulty posting some of my more radical Grands in Batt Mods because 1. no one cares and 2. it's not really a full self build (I did use a Grand body after all)

My rational for that is (and I think all who make bf's would agree) there is an amped level of difficulty building a good bf...the box/batt/switch part of the build isn't is a no brainer, (at least for me anyway)...it's the nuances of where to source parts, connecting floating 510's, o ring choice, bottle build, feed/flood issues, where to place DNA's (and other regs. re: juice leakage)...why does it leak?...and the super big section of the elegance of Rob's switch (I could write a blog based on just that)...there are just so many tie-ins to the Reo's...peeps could visit there, if they're brave enough to try and build one (no offence but lack of cash is a big driver for peeps wanting to build) they've got he entire Reoville community to help out...it's understood each response will start with "1st, buy a Reo....but that's fine, most will in time...

For whatever reason bf's don't seem to have that cool factor (I used to think it was the "box" form factor, but that's obviously been de-bunked) especially viewing some of the creations of the true ambassadors of Reo's like Turbo and yourself to name a few from a looong list...If I was a noob to ecf and stumbled onto that level of gear, it's sells the concept in a big way and removes the elitism...I want to be part of this, I'm buying a Reo

I'll go with the consensus but I still think providing a venue for potential Reonaughts to post their self builds will strengthen the community not dilute it...

...stepping off the soap box...

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia

That's would be breaking one of the cardinal rules...peeps personal creations are not (nor will ever be) for sale...that's just wrong in so many ways...to extend that argument, Rob doesn't sell Buss automotive fuses peeps jam in place of his spring?, or pos. contacts made from brass feeler gauges, at one time Rob wasn't L/P'ing Grands/Minis (I did one years ago and never posted it for fear of massive blow back, and now?)...he also doesn't sell custom doors made of PC board and he doesn't sell square bottles...these mods are happening anyway, I'm just suggesting a little corner in Reoville for peeps to express their ideas

It would be for pure self builds only or modded Reos....absolutely no modded V mods or Boggers, no juice bottles taped to the side of a tube :)facepalm:)

I just think we're missing out on some of the most creativity a community can offer...nothing changes but you yourself may poke around in there and say "hmm, that's a good idea, bet I could do that)

Docsgt68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Buffalo, NY
The other positive I don't think we've pointed out yet is it is always possible said corner could give rob ideas for his product, people build what they want, and the creative process could always foster new Reos based on public input....isn't that kind of how Rob started in the first place?

Edit: also, hopefully he'll pop in at some point, I feel like a jerk speculating knowing he'll turn up any minute...

Last edited:

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
I originally got here to the Reo forum by looking at all the supplier banners and checking out other vaping mods, then going to the Reo forum and then buying a Reo...and many since then.

I personally feel it's wrong to try to sell a product that isn't a Reo. If I owned a BMW store, I wouldn't want a Chevy or Honda or even a Mercedes taking up my space with free advertising and such.

Perhaps you misunderstood, we don't sell anything, we're users just like yourself only difference is that we like to tinker and change things to make them unique. I take days to make something adding up to probably hundreds of hours of labor. I certainly won't turn round and sell it. This is all about making something beautiful and unique for us to cherish and enjoy.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
I like seeing things related to a Reo Grand, LP Reo Grand, Reo Mini, and SL versions. Love seeing the Patina designs; paint designs; clear coating ideas; coil builds; instruction videos from Super_X; and anything else related to a Reo Grand. Any modifications related to what Robert O'neil sells on his website, is fine with me. That's why it's called Reoville.

On the other hand, and from a Business perspective... anything that is made and introduced to Reoville that copies a Reo Grand does not interest me. Robert has a stamp on the Reo Grand bottom feeder device, and although personal talent may indulge one to build something similar... it's not advised because it's really challenging the design Robert has patented in the courts of New York. So, long story short - just know Robert could push the button anytime and take one's .... to court for violating his patented idea.

Besides, any Reo Grand device is outstanding. Why try imitating it? :thumb: Perfection and Authenticity can't be emulated.

Roscoe01

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
North Dakota
I would like to see a separate subforum for bf modders. I think Rob is a very gracious host and tends to give all of us free reign in here but.....this area is intended to be a place for him to promote his products and it is our job as reonauts to help him do just that thru our testimonials and by helping others. My 2 cents. I agree that rob may take inspiration from other modders but there would be nothing stopping him from visiting a different subforum to do just that. My humble opinion.

BTW. If a new subforum Is started please post a new link I as can subscribe [emoji16]

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I am thinking this thread has not set well with some and is just ok with others. Hit and miss really. I check out the Liquid Feed APV Discussion thread almost daily and in fact, it is how I discovered the REO grand... There has been mention of almost every bottom fed device on the market in the past since I have frequented the forums, better part of almost 4yrs now... In fact, there once was a REO sub forum in the APV discussion part of the forum for a pretty long time. I also check out the Battery Mods part of the forum just the same. There have been some very creative things that have been posted there. I will agree with CaptSteve though, in that there seems to be a lot of hammond and hana boxes as of late, but there has been some very good builders that have posted over there. I think some great idea's have come from the likes of mamu, bapgood, tibs, and a few others over there that have paved the way for a lot of folks... Just thought I'd throw all this in the mix as well...

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I like seeing things related to a Reo Grand, LP Reo Grand, Reo Mini, and SL versions. Love seeing the Patina designs; paint designs; clear coating ideas; coil builds; instruction videos from Super_X; and anything else related to a Reo Grand. Any modifications related to what Robert O'neil sells on his website, is fine with me. That's why it's called Reoville.

On the other hand, and from a Business perspective... anything that is made and introduced to Reoville that copies a Reo Grand does not interest me. Robert has a stamp on the Reo Grand bottom feeder device, and although personal talent may indulge one to build something similar... it's not advised because it's really challenging the design Robert has patented in the courts of New York. So, long story short - just know Robert could push the button anytime and take one's .... to court for violating his patented idea.

Besides, any Reo Grand device is outstanding. Why try imitating it? :thumb: Perfection and Authenticity can't be emulated.

There's always at least one lawyer :D

I just realized that this IS Rob's forum (being in he suppliers forum and all...call me an idiot for not even checking that and suggesting a change to something that doesn't even belong to me :oops:)

Oldbroad and ed101z make some valid points...I think moving forward I will cease and desist in my perceived attempts to hawk my mods on Rob's forum. I should also check with Wa. copyright laws as "infringement" may include the modification thereof....I'll just stick to lurking, as much as I respect perfection and authenticity (of which I believe Reo's truly are) I'm not the kind of person to leave well enough alone...

I'll see if I can get a bf only sub forum started...sorry to offend.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Perhaps you misunderstood, we don't sell anything, we're users just like yourself only difference is that we like to tinker and change things to make them unique. I take days to make something adding up to probably hundreds of hours of labor. I certainly won't turn round and sell it. This is all about making something beautiful and unique for us to cherish and enjoy.

Drat.... you read it before I could delete it...hey, I'm old and slow:D

After I reread about 10 times, I realized the error of my ways... but I wasn't quick enough to delete my post.

My apologies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread