Just got back from the ER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Nothing major (I hope), mostly something causing worry and the doctor I want to go to suggested I should go to the ER so I wouldn't have to wait until November to get it checked out.

Triage nurses/techs asked if I smoked. I said I quit 3 months ago to switch to electronic cigarettes and I just cut my nicotine to 5.5mg yesterday.
She said, "That's great! I want to get my brother on those."
So I showed her my eGo-C and said to get him one like this because these big batteries last all day where those little ones that look like cigarettes don't last long enough to satisfy a heavy smoker.

Later I was asked again and didn't get a "Wow" type answer but didn't get a lecture either.
I asked one of those if I could vape, she said no but didn't lecture me about it being a smoke free campus. So I asked, "what if it was nicotine free, which it's not, but just for future reference."
Her answer was they didn't want me on anything while checking me out so not even if I was on 0mg.
"Well I guess that means taking another Xanax is out of the question."

This hospital is supposedly a no smoking campus, although the sign in front of the ER only mentioned the building. It is also a nicotine free employer (which is why I was asking about what about nicotine free vaping).

I didn't get a straight "No vaping anywhere".
I didn't get ANY lectures about the "dangers of e-cigs".
One of the medical professionals was very impressed.
Nobody came running up to me in the waiting room when I sucked on one for some flavor without turning it on.

I'd say this hospital has some potential to not be completely against e-cig for patients.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I need a colonoscopy to know if anything is wrong, symptoms are such that waiting months to get in wouldn't be a good idea. Seems stupid to me but I guess using up ER time gets me on a fast track both to get the test and to get in to see the GP I want to go to for my welcome to old age check up.

When I was a kid in the this same hospital they put an adult in my room with two other kids. He was not only smoking up a storm he was on some heavy pain meds that had him constantly falling asleep and burning his sheets. He'd wake up, push his button, get his shot, light up and fall asleep.
I even think I smoked in that room, although as kids we had to hide it from the nurses somewhat.
Yes things have got ridiculous.
The hospital I'd rather go to has a smoke free campus and that means you'd have about a mile walk to get to where you could smoke (that's no longer my hospital of choice). This one is downtown so you can cross a street.

Dauslyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hope you're okay! Sounds like an ok vape experience tho. :) i do think the whole "nicotine free" employer takes things a bit to far though. I just don't understand the extreme everything has gotten to be. heck when I was a kid there were ashtrays in hospital rooms!

Vapira

LOL yes and I think we can all agree that ashtrays in hospital rooms are a little counter-intuitive, now that we're better educated on the health risks ;)

General consensus from most medical professionals seems to be positive, which is of course hugely encouraging for us vapers! Hope you're doing okay OP, and glad to hear you had a positive vaping experience at the hospital!

Funny, I live in South Alabama and had a DR overdose me on antibiotics. Got very sick from dead good bacteria or whatever. This was only about 6 weeks or so ago and I vaped the whole time in my hospital bed once I was conscience enough. The nurses and doctors did not mind a bit.
This was actually before I decided to give full blown vaping a try again and my wife bought me a some of those gas station cheap e cigs. They were totally cool with it. Smoked it in front of everyone with no complaints.
I hope this is a good sign.
Dan

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Glad you are ok!

When in doubt, vape on the toilet! It's inconvenient I know but it is a sure fire way to vape without being told you can't. If it is in a public bathroom and someone notices the clouds just moan "too much sauce, Oye!"

I wouldn't go as far as "OK" yet. A blood test says I don't have any major leaks that required a stay but there is something wrong.

I almost went into the bathroom to grab one after waiting 2 hours in the waiting room (rather sneak than ask and risk a no).
I work at home, I'm not used to going without my fix. It was getting difficult.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
In my book, doing OK is when they tell you what ever is wrong is Fixable.

LOL

Hope everything goes well.

LOL, the thought has crossed my mind that if whatever it is was so bad I needed gutted and given a colostomy bag I may have to take up computer gaming again, no need for bathroom breaks.

The worst news could be Celiacs meaning no more homebrew. I don't drink a lot but I really like my homemade beer.

kico166

ECF Veteran
Lilith - sure hope everyone checked out ok ... and not too sore from the ordeal ... 8)

MYK: Homebrew has gluten? Sure hope it all turns out well in the end. You have my sympathy on the test ...

Side Note: if it helps any 2 different Dr.'s I've seen are thrilled about Ecigs over tar-bacco! Happily I'm listed as a non-smoker now. I don't know if it would make any difference name-dropping but maybe letting less informed personel know "Mayo Health" gives it's stamp of approval might warm them a little.

I met one person they said "NO" - not even Ecigs because of liver issues.
Apparently stinkies and ecigs are processed thru it.

Muldemar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Frostbite Falls,MN
Lilith - sure hope everyone checked out ok ... and not too sore from the ordeal ... 8)

MYK: Homebrew has gluten? Sure hope it all turns out well in the end. You have my sympathy on the test ...

Side Note: if it helps any 2 different Dr.'s I've seen are thrilled about Ecigs over tar-bacco! Happily I'm listed as a non-smoker now. I don't know if it would make any difference name-dropping but maybe letting less informed personel know "Mayo Health" gives it's stamp of approval might warm them a little.

Mayo seems to be a lil more enlightened..The Dr's i see at the local mayo clinic are extremely happy I vape..As they know nothing else worked to get off analogs

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
Nothing major (I hope), mostly something causing worry and the doctor I want to go to suggested I should go to the ER so I wouldn't have to wait until November to get it checked out.

Triage nurses/techs asked if I smoked. I said I quit 3 months ago to switch to electronic cigarettes and I just cut my nicotine to 5.5mg yesterday.
She said, "That's great! I want to get my brother on those."
So I showed her my eGo-C and said to get him one like this because these big batteries last all day where those little ones that look like cigarettes don't last long enough to satisfy a heavy smoker.

Later I was asked again and didn't get a "Wow" type answer but didn't get a lecture either.
I asked one of those if I could vape, she said no but didn't lecture me about it being a smoke free campus. So I asked, "what if it was nicotine free, which it's not, but just for future reference."
Her answer was they didn't want me on anything while checking me out so not even if I was on 0mg.
"Well I guess that means taking another Xanax is out of the question."

This hospital is supposedly a no smoking campus, although the sign in front of the ER only mentioned the building. It is also a nicotine free employer (which is why I was asking about what about nicotine free vaping).

I didn't get a straight "No vaping anywhere".
I didn't get ANY lectures about the "dangers of e-cigs".
One of the medical professionals was very impressed.
Nobody came running up to me in the waiting room when I sucked on one for some flavor without turning it on.

I'd say this hospital has some potential to not be completely against e-cig for patients.

nice. may i ask where abouts in illinois this was?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

Yep, a very common question on homebrew forums is how to make gluten free beer.
There seems to be something coming out but I'm not sure how good it works.
It wouldn't be a complete drag. I also make wine, I just focus more on drinking beer (because I have no alcohol tolerance) and give the wine away.

I plan on trying to get to 0mg before the year is up so hopefully liver processing nicotine won't be an issue except for special circumstances when I need nicotine to keep from going back to stinkies.

nice. may i ask where abouts in illinois this was?

St Francis in Peoria. I didn't get an official policy statement for the hospital rules so don't get too excited. I hope I don't have to find out the official policy for in-patients.
It just seemed the nurses and doctors I met weren't like the ANTZ are when it comes to e-cigs. I know our local ANTZ groups are against them and don't pass up an opportunity to say so if the paper does an article. So at least some in this hospital are ignoring them and using some common sense.

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
good idea not wanting to find out about inpatient policy. im just under 2 hours from there. am quiet shocked given how strict everyone is around here. i know at our local carnival someone said something to me about it being nonsmoking enviroment. i told them i wasnt smoking i was vaping and got a very odd look and they went about their business.

hope all is well with you.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I just looked it up online and they do include e-cigs in their tobacco free campus policy.
So I posted on their FB page.
"You need to use your medical knowledge to adjust your tobacco policy from not allowing e-cigs on campus. The carrier is the same you would prescribe in an inhaler, the nicotine (if it is used) is the same thing you would prescribe in a patch. The TSNA's the FDA found and lied about are at the same levels as any other NRT. The only unknown is the long term effects of the flavorings (which are also used in some NRT inhalers).
E-cigs are showing to be 30% effective at getting people off cigarettes, the NRTs you allow are 7% effective. If your goal is actually about stopping smoking rather than profiting by selling patches you will change this policy.
There are doctors who are testing these rather than using political pressure to predetermine their thoughts and their tests are only showing benefits. They also have a 10 year record of safety, which can't be said about Zyban or Chanitx.
I know if you made me go cold turkey because I was admitted you would cause me to end my quit that is closing in on 4 months."

You need to use... | Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread