Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
The Newbie WTA actually. It tastes and smells a lot like the Hangsen Menthol I tried a while back. Feels like it too.

I'm not really a fan of the taste, but it does seem to curb my cravings for real cigarettes better than normal liquid. I mixed it with some Arctic Wolf from Vapor God and it's now tolerable. Mixed, it tastes a lot like a real menthol cigarette. It even leaves an ashy, oily feeling in my mouth.

How does Whole e-cig compare? I'm thinking about trying their unflavored WTA when this one starts to run low.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
The Newbie WTA actually. It tastes and smells a lot like the Hangsen Menthol I tried a while back. Feels like it too.

I'm not really a fan of the taste, but it does seem to curb my cravings for real cigarettes better than normal liquid. I mixed it with some Arctic Wolf from Vapor God and it's now tolerable. Mixed, it tastes a lot like a real menthol cigarette. It even leaves an ashy, oily feeling in my mouth.

How does Whole e-cig compare? I'm thinking about trying their unflavored WTA when this one starts to run low.

You might want to make sure you don't have the wattage set too high. Maybe try dropping it back a bit. Also, the Aroma 24 mg unflavored WTA is quite good for mixing with conventional liquids. It's good on it's own, but pretty darn potent at the full 24 mg. vape the Aroma unflavored at 24 mg, and you WON'T be thinking about having a cigarette. PERIOD.

WholeCig doesn't have the wide variety that Aroma does, but they do have a few products you might like. Personally, I'm an Aroma fan but I'll admit that since Aroma uses my procedures to make their WTA, I might be a bit biased. :)

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
I only use autos, so the only way I can adjust the wattage is by grabbing a fresh battery. ;)

I'm looking at Whole E-Cig because they offer the unflavored in 36 mg which is primarily what I vape. I'm not looking to vape it straight but to mix it with Arctic Wolf which is my only flavor. After over a year at this, I've found that I only enjoy an intense menthol. All other flavors simply taste off to me after a drag or two.

The price of the 36 mg at Whole is off-putting though. Maybe I will have to grab it from Aroma.

And thanks for helping to make WTA possible. I only smoke at work, so hopefully I can finally get away from that with this.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I've had both, and do prefer Aroma's as well.

OK, so what I was trying to explain and got completely off track (maybe DVap can explain it better), was something about how WholeCig's alkaloid profile when you add it to juice doesn't get messed up or diluted. Whereas with Aroma, since the juice is "infused" with WTA, the effects may be somewhat less in intensity.

Mr Mann had a post about it and I understood it at the time but can't seem to rephrase how he put it without completely confusing myself. :facepalm:

My point to that was that because of the difference, you may be able to do just fine with Wholecig's 24mg because it will be more potent, even if you add it to your existing juice.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
Good to know Alisa. Thanks!

So Whole would have a stronger kick to it when mixed? Like I said, I only smoke at work so the real test for this will be tomorrow when I start my work week. I can already feel a difference, so my hopes are high.

Also, does the unflavored from either company not have this ashy, oily taste to it? Is that the flavoring in the Newbie or is it the tobacco extraction process? Because I am really not enjoying that taste, but I can live with it.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR

So Whole would have a stronger kick to it when mixed? Like I said, I only smoke at work so the real test for this will be tomorrow when I start my work week. I can already feel a difference, so my hopes are high.

Also, does the unflavored from either company not have this ashy, oily taste to it? Is that the flavoring in the Newbie or is it the tobacco extraction process? Because I am really not enjoying that taste, but I can live with it.

I've never seen "Newbie", and when I was using it Aroma didn't have an unflavored option available. I've been able to stop using WTA now. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as when I was really having insane cravings. I still have 2 mostly full bottles of DK-Tab and Sahara here. They've got to be close to 3 months old now. :laugh:

I will say that the reason I preferred Aroma was because of flavor. I got turned on to WC becuase a bunch of friends in a thread I hang out in really couldn't be more happy with it vs Aroma. They said the effects were much more noticeable.

(you might want to take a peek and join--it's for vapers who still smoke. Some of us have quit since joining but it's a great group of people in general. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/pay-forward-pif/519384-still-smoking-support-chat-thread.html)

When I got the unflavored it seemed fine for a couple of days, and the effects were more noticeable. Then I started noticing a very chemically taste. I don't know if it's part of the extraction process, or if it's just the VG base, but over the course of a few days I really couldn't handle it. Nobody else seemed to have the same experience so it could just be that I'm one of those people who tastes things differently. It could be the same with the Newbie you have, but I didn't notice it in the two aroma flavors that I currently have on hand.

Edited to add:

On the oily thing...I didn't notice that so much as a realistic "smoke feel" to the juice that I didn't get with regular juice. I did have that experience with both Aroma and WC, so it could be that what I experienced as more smoke-like, you experience as "oily". Since WC's base is 100% VG it might be more magnified for you.

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Exactly. It tastes like I just put out a cig every time I vape it. Not a deal-breaker, but it is unpleasant. But if it gets me away from the cigs I'll be happy.

Yeah, I think that's the nature of WTA, and possibly one of the things that makes it work so well in addition to the mental effects. I will say, that at a certain point for me, it really did take a mental "switch-off" to decide to just not smoke those last couple smokes. By that time the chemical addiction was gone (and the physical issues I've been having are now being dealt with) so it was relatively easy once I decided I was done. Hope you're able to do the same with as little effort! :)

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I only use autos, so the only way I can adjust the wattage is by grabbing a fresh battery. ;)

I'm looking at Whole E-Cig because they offer the unflavored in 36 mg which is primarily what I vape. I'm not looking to vape it straight but to mix it with Arctic Wolf which is my only flavor. After over a year at this, I've found that I only enjoy an intense menthol. All other flavors simply taste off to me after a drag or two.

The price of the 36 mg at Whole is off-putting though. Maybe I will have to grab it from Aroma.

And thanks for helping to make WTA possible. I only smoke at work, so hopefully I can finally get away from that with this.

You're welcome. Now I've got to warn you. Due to the additional alkaloids present in WTA, the stuff has a throat hit quite unlike regular nicotine liquid. One reviewer put it this way, "This stuff hits like the regular 36 mg". I believe he was referring to an 18 mg WTA.

The 36 mg that WholeCig sells is not intended to be vaped straight and the bottle (I think) bears a warning saying exactly that. 36 mg WTA will 1) be over-powering, and 2) set you on your .... The stuff is strictly for DIY mixing down to lower concentrations. It's no coincidence that both Aroma and Wholecig have settled on the same WTA level as the max recommended level, 24 or 25 mg depending on the vendor. Some folks can't handle it at these levels and dilute down from there.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
So far so good with the 24 mg from Aroma. But it is mixed with 25 ml of 36 mg Menthol from Mt. Baker and 10 ml of 24 mg Arctic Wolf. I only bought a 10 ml bottle to try it out.

I think I'll give Whole a try next time anyway, if that means the alkaloids won't be diluted when mixed down. I want to cover up the ashy taste as much as possible without losing the other benefits.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I've had both, and do prefer Aroma's as well.

OK, so what I was trying to explain and got completely off track (maybe DVap can explain it better), was something about how WholeCig's alkaloid profile when you add it to juice doesn't get messed up or diluted. Whereas with Aroma, since the juice is "infused" with WTA, the effects may be somewhat less in intensity.

Mr Mann had a post about it and I understood it at the time but can't seem to rephrase how he put it without completely confusing myself. :facepalm:

My point to that was that because of the difference, you may be able to do just fine with Wholecig's 24mg because it will be more potent, even if you add it to your existing juice.

There is some inaccuracy to this description, of course, unintentional. This stuff gets pretty confusing sometimes.

Aroma's flavored WTAs are infused, in other words, some regular nic, some WTA. The price is correspondingly lower than if they were exclusively made with WTA. Regardless of the infusion, many folks refer to these flavored Aroma liquids as their "go to" liquids.

In the case of Aroma's 24 mg unflavored WTA (which corresponds pretty directly to WholeCig's 25 mg unflavored WTA), the entire 24 mg is solely WTA. If you talk to somebody like Mr. Mann, for example, you'll learn that vaping WTA all day at 24 mg isn't something one usually does. The desire to keep vaping all day just isn't there like it often is with regular nicotine liquids. One tends to put the thing down and forget about it for awhile.

WTA is certainly pricy, which is simply because anybody can formulate a regular nicotine liquid, but WTA production requires real chemistry, real time/effort, and some pretty specific expertise. Or as my avatar says, "One does not simply make WTA". :) On the other hand, a little goes quite a long way. Or, as I would say when I start into my native geek language, the price premium of WTA versus regular nicotine liquid is mitigated by the superior efficacy of WTA versus regular nicotine liquid. Or to not talk like a geek, a little goes a long way.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009

I will only speak for Aroma's unflavored 24 mg pure WTA eliquid.

There is no oily or ashy character to this product. There is no tongue taste or tongue aftertaste. I'd refer to this as "tongue neutral". I describe the throat hit as a nice woody/honey note. I'm sure some of those familiar with the Aroma 24 mg WTA (who tend to check up on what I post around the forums) will pop in to agree with this characterization. The throat hit does leave an after-sensation, but it is again that woody/honey note. Quite pleasant. I very intentionally designed the process used by Aroma to produce WTA to be free of flaws in the vaping experience caused by the manipulations necessary to make the stuff. The process is simultaneously maddeningly complex and stunningly simple. Jerry at Aroma has been quite an excellent student and it shows in the product.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
I'm definitely vaping less already. I think I have done less than 2 ml since I got my package at noon, and less than half of that is my WTA blend.

Like I said, the real test will be tomorrow. I'll be heading to work with 1.2 ml of WTA blend and 1.2 ml of non-WTA. Let's see if I can make it through a 12 hour shift without lighting up a Camel Crush.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
So far so good with the 24 mg from Aroma. But it is mixed with 25 ml of 36 mg Menthol from Mt. Baker and 10 ml of 24 mg Arctic Wolf. I only bought a 10 ml bottle to try it out.

I think I'll give Whole a try next time anyway, if that means the alkaloids won't be diluted when mixed down. I want to cover up the ashy taste as much as possible without losing the other benefits.

Making sure I have this straight... you have some of the 24 mg unflavored pure WTA stuff from Aroma, or you only have the newbie flavored WTA?

If you don't have the Aroma 24 mg unflavored, I'll make this offer on a one time only basis (to Johnnie only folks!!)... go ahead and buy a 15 mL bottle of the Aroma 24 mg unflavored WTA. If you can find anything you don't like about the vaping experience, fire me off a PM and let me know what you don't like about it, and I'll Paypal you 20 bucks. Folks who know me around here will tell you that I don't say anything I'm not prepared to fully back up.

In other words, consider it a promise. :)

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
There is some inaccuracy to this description, of course, unintentional. This stuff gets pretty confusing sometimes.

Yes, I realized that when my post before that had to be deleted. I was hoping you might clarify --I did find the post by Mr Mann that seemed to explain it better than I could. Perhaps you can offer some insight?

No nic is added to WTA, but you can add nic to a WTA liquid. The minor alkaloids would lessen in percentage. I was making a distinction, by saying "with no added nic," between WTA liquids that have it and WTA liquids that don't have added nic. Here is Dvap's short explanation of this:

You could do WTA a couple ways:

1. WTA Spiked into nicotine (WTA containing minor alkaloids and nicotine) plus more nicotine. This would result in a spread not in line with the natural spread, enhanced in nicotine. Nothing really wrong with this, I guess.

2. WTA as the only alkaloid bearing component.
Dvap

Point number 2 is how WC states they make their retail WTA liquids. This is how I wish all WTA was sold, considering nicotine on its own is not what we're paying extra for; what we are paying extra for is the minor alkaloids aspect of WTA (not to mention the time/resources involved in extracting WTA).

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-discussion-thread-all-topics-welcome-31.html

What I seem to recall was that at another point, he said that Aroma sold nic juice w/WTA added which would effectively be the same as someone who bought no-nic WTA (like WholeCig) and added it to their own nic juice. Assuming that the base juice nic level was the same in both. Correct?

Aroma's flavored WTAs are infused, in other words, some regular nic, some WTA. The price is correspondingly lower than if they were exclusively made with WTA. Regardless of the infusion, many folks refer to these flavored Aroma liquids as their "go to" liquids.

In the case of Aroma's 24 mg unflavored WTA (which corresponds pretty directly to WholeCig's 25 mg unflavored WTA), the entire 24 mg is solely WTA. If you talk to somebody like Mr. Mann, for example, you'll learn that vaping WTA all day at 24 mg isn't something one usually does. The desire to keep vaping all day just isn't there like it often is with regular nicotine liquids. One tends to put the thing down and forget about it for awhile.

Yes, that was my experience as well...for 5 months it was indispensible to keeping me off cigarettes, however I didn't need to use it more than 3 or so times a day to keep the edge off. More than that and my body seemed to adjust to it and it seemed to actually have the opposite effect (ie, made me crave more if I used it all day).

Last edited:

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Take the offer, Johnnie! :thumb:

Making sure I have this straight... you have some of the 24 mg unflavored pure WTA stuff from Aroma, or you only have the newbie flavored WTA?

If you don't have the Aroma 24 mg unflavored, I'll make this offer on a one time only basis (to Johnnie only folks!!)... go ahead and buy a 15 mL bottle of the Aroma 24 mg unflavored WTA. If you can find anything you don't like about the vaping experience, fire me off a PM and let me know what you don't like about it, and I'll Paypal you 20 bucks. Folks who know me around here will tell you that I don't say anything I'm not prepared to fully back up.

In other words, consider it a promise. :)

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
I appreciate it, but I'm good. Like I said in the OP, it reminds me a lot of the Hangsen Newport flavor I tried in the past so maybe it's just similar ingredients in the flavor profile. It isn't disgusting, just a tad unpleasant. But the only flavor I've actually enjoyed in the past year has been a pure menthol with no other undertones included in the mix. I can always add more Arctic Wolf to further mask the flavor if I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread