Just ordered a Volcano Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galthrojh

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Newbie here! Like the title says, just ordered it, hopefully it'll come by the end of the week. I tried out one of the disposable 21st Century e-cigs from Mapco and decided to give better ones a try. (Inadvertently ended up vaping continuously indoors for a night and the day after, resulting in some nicotine overdose-induced dizziness :D)

I smoke a pack of Marlboro Reds a day, and I like em. I like the taste, the throat hit (I guess is what it's called?), and just seeing smoke. Started smoking again when I was 18, now 22, and I really don't have any intentions of quitting.

That being said, I'm a singer and a songwriter, and plan to build a career off my voice (and writing) so if vaping ends up in me quitting ciggs, that's a good thing I guess.

Couple questions though:
1. Read that PG causes irritation and such. I have been sounding like I have a cold for the past couple of days, noticed my throat is drier and stuff. Is that the PG or is that just a result of vaping?

2. What do you think of the Volcano E Cigs? I was gonna order some Blu ones (I wanted to stick with what seemed closest to analog for now, maybe get a meaner e-cig with USB passthrough for indoors later) but I heard Blu was awfully slow. Are the Volcano ones any good?

Oh and hi! I'm PJ. :laugh:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
1. The irritation & dry throat is probably caused by both the PG and vaping. Vaping dehydrates you so you need to drink a lot of water & PG causes lung irritation etc... with a lot of people. I wouldn't vape 100% PG but that's just me. I prefer more VG than PG. VG will give you more vapor but you sacrifice flavor & throat hit. PG brings out the flavor and gives a stronger TH. You might want to start out with 50 PG/ 50 VG and see how you like that then adjust from there. I like 100% VG for the vapor but usually will use 50/50. What ever mix you use, you will still get a dry throat so drink lots of water.

2. Everybody that starts out with a skinny, real cig looking ecig always upgrades to a better ecig very quickly. You could get a Riva for half what you paid for the Volcano. I've never tried the Volcano but as soon as I saw the skinny battery I knew you will want to upgrade soon. Those batteries only last 1 - 2 hrs before you have to recharge them. The Riva and the ego have bigger batteries that last most people all day. Sorry to have to tell you this. I hope you prove me wrong and really like it.

Galthrojh

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I don't know how to do all the tinkering with the e-cigs yet so I'll live with the carts that came with the kit till I figure out how to :D

You're probably right about the second point, and I'd thought about it already, but I still wanted something that's a normal size if only to carry around while I'm out and about. I want to get one of those larger ones with a battery and a USB pass-through since I spend so much time around computers (games and recording music) but I'm not sure which one to get or where to even start. Suggestions?

bobsyeruncle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 5, 2010
    in a cave, eh?
    For a bigger battery model, you could look at Ego, Riva 510 or e-Power. The e-Power with the 18650 battery will give you ridiculous battery life. It's also the biggest, i.e. about the size of a cigar. They're all available at Liberty-Flights.

I'll also just mention the Echo. Which is longer than the others, holds way more juice and gives you a warmer vape. At 1300 mAh, it's also got great battery life.

You might want to check out MadVapes for passthroughs and various accessories. Use a wall wart with your passthrough.

I haven't bothered with the skinny "cigarette-looking" batteries since I got spoiled by "high voltage" vaping. For me, nicotine content isn't as important as getting nice billowing clouds of vapor and "Low Resistance" atomizers and cartomizers don't last very long on mini batteries.

I've got the "Inferno" from Volcano and I've used it so much that the red paint design is chipping away. The Inferno is basically a rebranded eGo/Riva, and the kits are reasonably priced. I *love* the USB passthru battery, so I recently got a 1000mAH eGo-T "passthru" and I have to HIGHLY recommend it: Its a nice comfortable design, it can be "turned off" by hitting the button 5 times, and the USB passthru function means its basically always charged and easy to recharge anywhere you can find a USB port.

Volcano's Magma is basically a rebranded 510 and it is decently priced, although you can probably find genuine JoyE kits to be cheaper at some of the vendors on ECF if you really want something that is close the size/shape of cigarettes.

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    I have a Riva, Ego & Ego passthrough and I love them all. I especially like the Ego passthrough because you aren't tethered to your PC or a wall outlet. You can unplug it once it's charged and take it with you. I just tested how long it would go unplugged and it last for 2 days and I was using it almost exclusively. I don't know what the mah rating is on it but it must be in the zillons. My Riva & standard ego only last 1 day. 1 day is good enough but 2 days is more better. :laugh:

Was actually thinking about the Inferno just cos I was lazy to dig deeper and tinker with other things. Is it a reasonable value?
    The INFERNO Kit

You can do a lot worse than a 650mAH "passthru" and 1100mAH battery and a bottle of BlueWater Punch for $75, but there are some cheaper options too... There aren't as many color options, but the 1000mah USB Passthru eGo-T is a great value because you don't really even need anything else except some good atomizers (I recommend Cisco-spec LR306's or 510's atomizers, or SmokeTech Dualcoil Cartomizers) and juice.

Tthe best price I've found (currently in stock) is here: Genuine Joye 1000mAh XL eGo Battery w/USB (510, passthrough) - The VaporCast Store
    Toss in a pack of dualcoil cartos and a bottle of Adam's CinApple and you're good to go for under $50. :vapor:

I've got one of these passthroughs:

Smok Tech 5 Volt 510 Manual USB Passthrough (MadVapes)

It doesn't have a battery to charge. You plug it into a wall wart and you're basically tethered to the thing while you're fiddling on your computer or whatever waiting for your regular batteries to finish charging.

That's a little bit different as that is JUST a passthrough and does not have a battery--it only works while tethered. The eGo-T "passthru" is an eGo battery with a mini-USB port on the bottom so you can use it while it is charging. You almost don't need anything else.
    egot%20passthrough%202.jpg

Galthrojh

ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Thanks for the tips guys. I couldn't find a kit like the Inferno Tank + Drip kit at the same price point so I went ahead with that. Tank for the 1000mAh batt while out and about and the 650 with option of passthrough mainly for when at home. I caught their weekly coupon give-away so it's not bad at all.

That being said, I've read that Tanks sometimes get clogged or something with thicker juices. Any recommendations for suppliers of e-juice (with a lot of flavors)?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread