Just picked up an orchid v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
I saw an orchid v4 at a vape shop and decided to pick one up. The first couple of tanks really impressed me. Then I decided to top fill. It hasn't stopped leaking since. I've never considered returning a device before. Thus thing seems way too finicky.

My clone kayfun on the other hand has been great to me. Very reliable and consistent.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Its just a matter of learning a more complicated atty :). Fasttech sells top fill caps for kayfuns that also fit the Orchid. About $5 there. You can get one from ebay as well for more money if you don't want to wait. I use one. Fingers blocking airholes, fill gently, tighten cap, turn upside down and remove fingers from airholes.

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
Even then can you fill the atty without losing any juice? Can you do that constantly?

I don't even block the air holes on my kayfun when top filling. It's such an easy atty.

Don't get me wrong. The kayfun dry hits more especially with thicker juices but its at least easy to prime.

I'm never without a screwdriver so I may just pick up a needle tip bottle. Seems more reliable than a top fill cap. Don't really know though. Not speaking from experience.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
The Orchid design is less forgiving than a Kayfun when it comes to wicking it, getting the right amount of wick in the channels is crucial to avoid leaks and dry hits. When the original came out I got to play around with one and hated it because it was either constantly leaking or giving dry hits.

I picked up a clone awhile later and after playing around with different wick configurations I found a setup that doesn't leak a drop when filling (either top of bottom) and still gives saturated juicy hits every time. The trick for me was to trim the wick tails so that they just barely stick out past the deck (when straight) then putting just a small amount of wick into the channels and leaving most of the wick on the deck.

Putting the chimney on can screw up your wick job even if you did it right in the first place, as it's pretty easy to snag part of the wick and pull everything out of place, and you don't even know it as in their infinite wisdom they used a one-piece chimney. (luckily newer clones use a 2-piece and the updated Aethertech does too) so it's a good idea to be super careful when screwing the chimney on.

One more thing to keep in mind when top filling: The orchid has a really fat chamber so the space between the chimney and tank tube is small. When you top fill you are supposed to flip the tank upside-down and wait for the juice to leave the area of the tank near the juice channels before finally tightening the cap all the way down. Depending on the viscosity of your juice it can take a long time before juice "settles" and when you screw the cap down too early it forces all that juice straight into the chamber flooding it. Even bottom filling can do this if you fill it too fast as the juice builds up at the channel area and takes awhile to drop down into the rest of the tank.

The following picture is NOT mine but shows pretty much exactly how I wick my Orchids without any leaking.

orchid1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread