Just went to my doctor and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoyed

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2009
Ok, so I had a doctors appointment today and he has prescribed three different NRTs to help me stop smoking needless to say none worked. Today he mentioned that I did not smell like smoke so we started talking about my VK. He said that the negative impacts of vaping are like smoking 1 cigarrette a year. He also agreed that the FDA is crusading on the basis of money and politics and seem tonot have any concern for the actual well being of US citizens. After the conversation was said and done he asked where I got mine from and how much it was, so I broke it down for him and gave him about 20 V4L cards I had in my car. to quote Ice Cube "Today was a good day".I think my doctor sent me home smilin almost as much as Steve:D

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
Yup. Even better if we can get the AMA on board with e-cigs, and lobbying the FDA to allow them. But for that, they need hard science to back them up, so what we really need is some good peer-reviewed research.

Exactly what I suggested in a previous thread. If a well-respected organisation like AMA got involved it could only help our cause in persuading the FDA to allow e-cigs:

From the Mythbusters message board:

No the reality is that you do not know what you are talking about..Some of the medical profession are Binding together now, accusing the FDA of False Reports. These are Doctors and Professors That Actually Care About the Health of People.

You know, if we could get the AMA behind e-cigs, we could go a long way in getting e-cigs recognised as a viable alternative and I'm sure they have considerable weight with the FDA. FDA may not care about "hopelessly addicted" nicotine addicts like us, but an organisation like AMA endorsing e-cigs may get them to back off. Has anyone contacted them?

Check out their site and then contact AMA here. They are interested in e-cigs being studied, but the FDA is tying their hands.

https://extapps.ama-assn.org/contactus/contactusMain.do

And please do check out this article:

amednews: AMA meeting: More to do on tobacco control :: June 29, 2009 ... American Medical News

Cubiccube

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Iowa
I was told by one of my doctors to "stop using it because the FDA hasn't approved it yet" I gave her a resounding no. Then I asked her if it was true that nicotine on it's own in small doses is not harmful right? She agreed and then started telling me I should stop using them again. Grrr, sometimes, just sometimes(by this I mean ALWAYS) I wish people would actually do some research before opening their mouths. I mean we do not know 100% as of yet, but I know most of you are the same as me, and have quit smoking altogether in a day or two's time, or have cut back drastically.

I plan on talking to the head doctor at some point though. He does a ton of work researching new treatments for diabetes, so maybe I can get him to really take a look at these. It's hard enough to be a diabetic, and I konw that even though I do almost everything else right, I most likely would have never quit smoking without trying vaping.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
My typical response to people like that is as follows.

PG = safe for human consumption
food grade flavorings = safe for human consumption
distilled water = duh!
nicotine = not particularly harmful in small doses

How does that compare to over 4,000 chemical compounds, over 400 of which are known carcinogens?

Yes, giving it all up would be the #1 choice, but don't tell me e-cigs are unsafe in comparison to the known hazards of smoking.

Luckily, my doctor is delighted I'm vaping and not smoking. :)

Tenebrae

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
Bay Area California
I just point out that the FDA approved Thalidomide and Vioxx. FDA has a crap track record and they are showing just what motivates them on this issue to anyone with an objective braincell left in their head.

Both of my Dr's are thrilled and have asked for business cards. Until the clove ban I was one of the most militant smokers you could find. I still think that if folks want to kill themselves they should be allowed if not encouraged. I however like the taste of vapor far more than the cloves and don't want to mess with around with customs when they inevitably make mailing smokes illegal.

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
My husband is diabetic and he quit cold turkey, granted he smoked 2 cigs a day. I kept on going and going like the energizer bunny with the smoking. Then I found vaping and now I don't smoke anymore either. Good grief, where is common sense with some people? I couldn't have done this on my own, not unless someone locked me into a padded cell for about 6 months. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread