Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
RE: Kanger Dual Coil Heads (V2) - 5 Pack

These are wicked with cotton, correct? I'm returning to old school vaping (non subohm) and I have a aerotank mega that I want to buy some coils for...it's been a while since I used them. I wanted to double check if they were cotton wicked, the site doesn't say nor does any other site I find them on.

Rock Bottom has become my go-to place to buy coils for a while now.

If my memory serves me correctly, they are cotton wicked but just checking.

Thanks!

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The original Kanger Aerotank coils were wicked with silica, and, surprisingly, some can still be found. Several years ago - shortly after they released the original Kanger Subtank - the converted all of their coils over to organic cotton. For the Aerotank, look for VOCC-T coils... stands for Vertical Organic Cotton Coils...

The way to tell them apart from the older, silica wicked coils is by looking at the wicking holes. The older models had 2 very small wick holes per side (and 2 horizontal coils if you're really being nit picky), and the new VOCC-T have one larger hole per side (and a parallel vertical build).

As to whether silica or cotton is better? Since silica is fire proof, one would think silica would beat out cotton which will start to singe around 420F. However, cotton wicks faster... there are other reasons to go with cotton, but I'll let other people ramble on about the other reasons...

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
The same amount of concern as anything vaping-related. Plenty of heated opinions based on nothing but idle speculation. Cotton is the modern standard because it performs well without lasting too long, and doesn't scare the ignoramuses. "Organic" too, because that markets well.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
The original Kanger Aerotank coils were wicked with silica, and, surprisingly, some can still be found. Several years ago - shortly after they released the original Kanger Subtank - the converted all of their coils over to organic cotton. For the Aerotank, look for VOCC-T coils... stands for Vertical Organic Cotton Coils...

The way to tell them apart from the older, silica wicked coils is by looking at the wicking holes. The older models had 2 very small wick holes per side (and 2 horizontal coils if you're really being nit picky), and the new VOCC-T have one larger hole per side (and a parallel vertical build).

As to whether silica or cotton is better? Since silica is fire proof, one would think silica would beat out cotton which will start to singe around 420F. However, cotton wicks faster... there are other reasons to go with cotton, but I'll let other people ramble on about the other reasons...

I believe the link I gave is the only choice for the Aerotank Mega. I've looked at all the other coils from Kanger and those are the only ones that show they work in that tank.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I believe the link I gave is the only choice for the Aerotank Mega. I've looked at all the other coils from Kanger and those are the only ones that show they work in that tank.
Screenshot_20190704-195240_Chrome.jpg

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Ah ok, I was just going off by the site I normally use to buy coils from. So the only choice for cotton wick is single coil now instead of dual coils with the silica? Last time I used this tank, I'm pretty sure it was back in 2015 and I know I was buying the dual coil version so I guess they were silica then?

Would there be a huge difference in going the single route vs the dual route? I can't keep up with all these coils and revisions, it gets to be a bit too much!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You'll have to try various heads to figure out what you like best.
Coil(s) & wicking are another personal preference.
Some folks love them, some find them horrid.

You understand the aerotank & replacement heads it uses are very old technology, dozens of 'better' / more efficient delivery devices & heads are available now.

Drewps5co0tt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
So are subtank minis but people still use them, not like the coils are going to stop being made. I'm not into trying to stay with the latest gear anymore and I'm moving away from subohm vaping and going back to old school style. I happened to love the Aerotank mega, Nautilus, etc...but gave subohm a try back in 2015 and got hooked on it so I gave up old school vaping. But it's just too much vapor that you're inhaling, too much juice that i go through so I'm sticking with what worked best for me in the long run.

Every day/week a new tank or device is coming out and it's just too much and overwhelming. Sticking with simple from here on out. The idea is to stay off the cigs, not blow clouds from here to China.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
So are subtank minis but people still use them, not like the coils are going to stop being made. I'm not into trying to stay with the latest gear anymore and I'm moving away from subohm vaping and going back to old school style. I happened to love the Aerotank mega, Nautilus, etc...but gave subohm a try back in 2015 and got hooked on it so I gave up old school vaping. But it's just too much vapor that you're inhaling, too much juice that i go through so I'm sticking with what worked best for me in the long run.

Every day/week a new tank or device is coming out and it's just too much and overwhelming. Sticking with simple from here on out. The idea is to stay off the cigs, not blow clouds from here to China.

Still my fav tank for tootie testing. And I still instruct folks on how to build for it effectively.

A 2-3 pull on an orig Subtank even with its anemic chimney exhaust on demand still produces quite a cloud and flavor intense experience with the build below.

Good luck. :)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

I didn't mean the bro cloudz 'sub Ω' type delivery devices, I meant the newer very much improved Mtl type.
The nautilus 2S, zenith or zlide to name a few. Same low e liquid consumption with improved flavor & ease of use.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Ah ok, I was just going off by the site I normally use to buy coils from. So the only choice for cotton wick is single coil now instead of dual coils with the silica? Last time I used this tank, I'm pretty sure it was back in 2015 and I know I was buying the dual coil version so I guess they were silica then?

Would there be a huge difference in going the single route vs the dual route? I can't keep up with all these coils and revisions, it gets to be a bit too much!
You misunderstood... the new coils are also dual, but built in a parallel vertical configuration rather than two stacked singles.
SmartSelect_20190705-065910_Samsung Notes.jpg

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Dayvidpriddy - I've bought/used both types of coils that work in the AeroTanks, PT3 and Mini, Evod Glass, and others. I still prefer the older Dual Coils in the white box. To me, the VOCC-T coils don't give any better taste, nor quality of vape, than the older style ones. The VOCC-T are just more expensive.

I get my regular Dual Coil ones in the white box from FT in bulk quantities (10-pack brick, for several other people, too) and/or within the US from DesertVapes.com and from RockyMountainVapor.com (he has an on-going 30% off coupon code which is the word TURKEY + Free S/H on orders $14 and up).

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
@Dayvidpriddy - I've bought/used both types of coils that work in the AeroTanks, PT3 and Mini, Evod Glass, and others. I still prefer the older Dual Coils in the white box. To me, the VOCC-T coils don't give any better taste, nor quality of vape, than the older style ones. The VOCC-T are just more expensive.

I get my regular Dual Coil ones in the white box from FT in bulk quantities (10-pack brick, for several other people, too) and/or within the US from DesertVapes.com and from RockyMountainVapor.com (he has an on-going 30% off coupon code which is the word TURKEY + Free S/H on orders $14 and up).
I can't believe that TURKEY code still works. What is that, about 2 years now?:D

• Agree
Reactions: JCinFLA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread