Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Oh. What is the difference between silica and cotton? Is there any health concern over silica? I never knew this and thought they were cotton wicked.

Absolutely no concern about this type of silica (amorphous). It's perfectly safe and doesn't burn like cotton or rayon. The only controversial kind of silica fiber is crystalline silica, but this kind is not used in e-cigs. Nothing to worry about!

Happy vaping!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Since silica is fire proof, one would think silica would beat out cotton which will start to singe around 420F.

I believe that silica rope is a safer wick for those tiny old-school coils that tend to overheat even at low wattages.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
OK, so either way I'm good with either or? I assumed the cotton would be safer but I don't burn my cotton coils so it's not really an issue for me.

Yup. Amorphous silica is as safe as cotton or rayon. Some people prefer cotton, especially in RTAs, mainly because it's much easier to work with. Silica wicks come only in rope form, AFAIK, so you can't control the size and density of your wick. But in pre-made coils, silica is actually preferable, IMO, because it doesn't burn.

Reactions: JCinFLA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread